Almost all set

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I have my sand scoop in process, got my wet suit, boots and gloves, sifter parts, ready to get in a local lake or three.

One question to you water hunters: Do you guys wear diving masks? Is it beneficial to be able to see under water, or do you just 'hunt by braille'?

I have a nice mask in my Amazon cart, but I wanted to get the pro's position on it first.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess it depends on your wave conditions. Here it is almost never calm. Still water would be great to hunt in!

OP
OP
B

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
I am first going to lakes, but in salt water, I live near Puget Sound, so waves are not severe.

What I was thinking was that a mask/snorkel would buy me a few more feet of search area.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Usually you are scooping by feel... but a mask is helpful if you are in the water more than chest deep. But then you'll also need a weight belt.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
If you go for a mask...don't forget to go for a waterproof headphone! :laughing7:

You won't use it that much, but when you need it in case of small object detection that you won't be able to retrieve with your sand scoop

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been doing this awhile - I was one of the first guys to use a mask & snorkel in the shallows waist to top of head
ive gotten a bunch of guys to start wearing one
you should be able to recover targets faster with a mask = you can see your coil and see exactly where to place your scoop - you will see item sticking up out of the sand and be able to pluck them - instead of blindly scooping
you can see if a target falls off your lip of scoop or if it falls thru - you can find bottles and paper money (Ive found over $300 over the yrs)
and other non metallic treasures - you can see the bottom structure better - and see dangerous areas and objects
of course this all matters on how your viz is
if you are hunting in waves - nice to know you can take one over the head or in the face and not get water in your eyes
ive met some that cant get used to wearing one - but if you can - why not
I tell people if you don't like wearing one - just get a pair of swim goggles and hang around your neck - just in case you do need them
cant tell you how many stud earings that have fallen thru others scoops ive gotten over the years and I just looked down and could see tons of scoop marks and Id see earring laying on top - I just drop down and pluck

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
NOT mentioned above IF you wear a mask...use a snorkel also.
Next don't give up too soon, it take awhile to become accustomed to detecting "underwater".
The combination only is useful if you are in the water, bathing suit or wet suit. NEVER try with waders.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOT mentioned above IF you wear a mask...use a snorkel also.
Next don't give up too soon, it take awhile to become accustomed to detecting "underwater".
The combination only is useful if you are in the water, bathing suit or wet suit. NEVER try with waders.
I mention mask & snorkel in first line - I don't push snorkel cause I have a handful of friends that are uncomfortable with one
and use just mask and just put their face in when they get a hit ==also there are beaches on the Cape like Craigsville
that lifeguards do not allow snorkels - fine at sunrise and sunset - but not allowed during normal beach hrs
I have other spots with same rules - so I hunt with mask & snorkel 99% but with just a mask 95% of that time

OP
OP
B

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Thanks for all the input. I will pull the trigger on a mask and snorkel.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mention mask & snorkel in first line - I don't push snorkel cause I have a handful of friends that are uncomfortable with one
and use just mask and just put their face in when they get a hit ==also there are beaches on the Cape like Craigsville
that lifeguards do not allow snorkels - fine at sunrise and sunset - but not allowed during normal beach hrs
I have other spots with same rules - so I hunt with mask & snorkel 99% but with just a mask 95% of that time

Why is that anyway? Because the lifeguards can't tell if you're dead or alive, or human or seal?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is that anyway? Because the lifeguards can't tell if you're dead or alive, or human or seal?

they think there is a greater risk of someone drowning with a snorkel - I was tempted to use my snorkel mask at one spot and see what they would say - but
did not want to walk back to vehicle if they said no - so I just bring my mask to those spots - usually most spots will have it on their rules sign - some say no masks either - those are the ones I try and go before lifeguards arrive or after they leave
and yes...Ive been mistaken for a seal many times - when I wear black wet suit and black mask & snorkel - at least a dozen times last year I had people pointing and telling everyone on the beach "look..look at the seal out there!!!" - if I see them - I will purposely drop down and then come up here and there to mess with them - usually this happens when im out 100 yrds + from shore - I will see people putting their hand above their brows - you know like a sailor in a crows nest looking for land - and they sway back and forth like it is going to help their vision - sometimes I will stand up straight - sway myself and then spin and look out to sea - like Im trying to see what they are looking at way way out - and then I'll turn back at them and shrug - like "I cant seem to see what youre looking at" and even though my eye sight is horrible - I can see their shoulders slump and then they shake their heads --- I can be a real wise ass:tongue3:
Its great when my gal is in the parking lot watching or on a blanket on the beach (depends on the temps) - she usually has to tell them what the heck Im doing out there - she gets a kick out it too.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe they were watching Mary Lee getting tagged behind you.
635664254744030835-shark-mary-lee-ocearch-1.JPG

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are my friends
pic222915.jpg

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are times id give anything for a mask out there chasing a target. Dont know about buying a mask off line....... might be better off trying them on at a local dive shop first. Not a lot of advantage for us short guys when you hunt behind the tall guys whose already out there lol.

Last edited:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
+1
If there is something you can't buy ONLINE, it's a mask !

I have to take a photo of the dozens of mask I have that don't feet my face ....too late were use in saltwater LoL

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a mask? I've found dozens of them at the beach through the years! Tons of swim googles too.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
+1
If there is something you can't buy ONLINE, it's a mask !

I have to take a photo of the dozens of mask I have that don't feet my face ....too late where use in saltwater LoL

I can. I've used the same model of mask since I was certified in 1988! Tusa Liberator, fits my face perfectly : D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread