One interesting find from 3 days at the Cape

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
With beautiful sunny and unseasonably warm weather late last week, I decided to head down to Cape Cod to do a little beach detecting. I spent one day hunting alone and two days detecting with WaterWalker. Had a blast testing out the CTX and Deus in the wet and dry sand. Pickings were slim, mostly bits of melted aluminum and fishing tackle, but I did manage one interesting find. On my first day there I found this brass Massachusetts 2 inch shellfish measurement gauge. I wasn't exactly sure what it was at first, but we ran into another local detectorist who was able to explain what it is used for. Clams that can fit through are too small and must be released. Even though I didn't find any gold, I had a great time with WaterWalker. I'm looking forward to getting in the water once it warms up a little.

Anyone familiar with these gauges enough to date it? I don't imagine it's too old.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 0

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's older than me!:laughing7:
Oh man now I'm craving fried clams!

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That is such an interesting find, Oxbowbarefoot.:headbang:

I'd love to get to the Cape this coming Spring or Summer; I love it there!

Wishing you more great hunts.

Lorraine

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 casper2.jpg I LIKE IT - WOULDNT MIND FINDIN ONE OF THOSE MYSELF - THINK YOURS COULD BE PRE WWII
(WHEN WWII HIT - THEY STOPPED USING BRASS FOR SUCH ITEMS) BUT MAY HAVE STARTED AGAIN AFTER THE WAR - BUT OTHER MATERIALS ARE CHEAPER
MOST ONES NOW ARE PLASTIC OR ALUMINUM AND THE CIRCULAR ONES DID NOT SEEM TO BE COMMON - I SAW ONE FROM TRURO THAT WAS ROUND AND BRASS - ONLY OTHER BRASS ONES IVE SEEN ARE RECTANGULAR AND LOOK LIKE A COLONIAL SHOE BUCKLE
I THINK YOURS MIGHT HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN FOR POSSIBLY OYSTERS

CladiatorMax

Nov 1, 2012
Garden Grove, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Sovereign GT / Garrett Carrot / Stavr Scoops
Primary Interest:
Very Cool! It's a conversation piece for sure. Put that on your mantle and listen to what people think it is. Thanks for sharing.

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your find alot!....very,very cool!

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Very interesting find and a simple way to know if there legal size or not.

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully when it opens I'll get out with waterwalker

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Anyone coming to the Cape...Bring such a ring with you or you will have to use my gauge (ring) to test your finds to see if they are legal size so may keep and take them home. If they are not of legal size...you must put them back. Kind of like catch and release for you that fish when not detecting. One more thing...everyone coming to the Cape MUST take home a 5 gallon bucket of sand...I am doing my best to get the sand moving, can you help? Please!

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey oxbow, like Casper said , you have an oyster gauge. A quahog gauge would be smaller and rectangular. Your gauge should measure 3" across the middle, unless the size limit was different before.. You rest the heal of the oyster on one side and rock it back and hope the top of the oyster doesn't pass through the ring. What town did you make it to? I'm down in the Wellfleet area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a1f767a796d23790205f8b36696b6069.jpg

Here's mine. They make them out of stainless steel now. If it were plastic, the sharp oyster would cut the circle making the whole bigger than three inches which you wouldn't want. Spend enough time in Wellfleet and you will learn tons about oysters, they say we have the best in the world!

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just noticed that yours says 2 inch.. Could be a clue to how old it is..

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a5f57b9e695c59d8d1b95a307f02c346.jpg

2 inch ring represents a soft shell clam, also known as steamers or piss clams because they shoot out water when you dig them.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
a5f57b9e695c59d8d1b95a307f02c346.jpg

2 inch ring represents a soft shell clam, also known as steamers or piss clams because they shoot out water when you dig them.

Thanks for the info! It has a nice patina, so I imagine it has some age too it, but the integrity of the metal seems too good for it to be too old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread