Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scuba detection in shallow water is not so difficult, but passing at least a level of certification will help you to understand the buoyancy and the material technical aspects.

For Italy, prefer the CMAS level 1, last choice will be the very basic PADI Open Water.

There have been a lot of discussions on SCUBA forums about this. Many of us here in the states would like to see an increase in teaching standards and qualification. It's been a while since I compared them but if I remember correctly, the CMAS1 standard is the equivalent of the our Basic Open Water + Advanced Open Water + Rescue diver certs. US dive industry doesnt want to change because they are afraid of scaring away potential new divers.

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
have dove alone since ealry 90s, have had several close calls. you have to wear a lot of weight to begin with, then i would try to carry out all garbage down there, can be a deadly combo. finding someone to dive with you is not easy tho, who wants to watch you dig holes and muck up the water for 3 hours? closest thing i have to a buddy is my girl who sometimes ties her floaty to my hookah, but she pays no attention and probly not strong enough to drag my big ass out anyway.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
There have been a lot of discussions on SCUBA forums about this. Many of us here in the states would like to see an increase in teaching standards and qualification. It's been a while since I compared them but if I remember correctly, the CMAS1 standard is the equivalent of the our Basic Open Water + Advanced Open Water + Rescue diver certs. US dive industry doesnt want to change because they are afraid of scaring away potential new divers.

I refuse to enter in certification discussion, because for me everyone is making bubbles underwater :laughing9:

PADI has great advantages, the quality insurance is unbeatable...which is not the case of CMAS. PADI is very commercial, many modules, up sells BUT it's a good way to learn and discover scuba diving.

The PADI cert is very secured (too much maybe ?) and really fit to 95% of the market demand.

CMAS is based on the french way of scuba diving = professionals instructors with state diploma and high depth / high autonomy targets. Those particularities are related to the fact that below 100ft in France, you don't have some much to see compared to the Caribbean or Asia. A CMAS Level 2 is 130 FT depth cert and a CMAS 2* is 200ft with AIR mix (!).

I come from a CMAS certification path but did passed my PADI Divemaster and TDI Tech Dive cert to be able to dive worldwide whatever the needed certification. Whatever the certification & level you may have, when I arrive in a new club, I always like to have low depth <100ft dive with the local instructor to start to know each other.

PROs
CMAS => when autonomy, depth and experience is needed for diving "off roads"
PADI => same course worldwide, VERY secure, clear path, lot of specialties to discover

CONs
CMAS => the course quality relies 100% on the quality and skills of your instructor till Level 4 which is already the equivalent of a Divemaster ++++ level.
PADI => more expensive, VERY commercial, low autonomy (before the Divemaster), low depth!

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been thinking of learning how to scuba dive just to detect is in shallow water, does anyone here scuba dive in shallow water by themselves. I mentioned this to a coworker and he said you can't scuba dive on by yourself.

Of course you can. I did a lot of solo cave diving. Tell someone where you are going, and use good common sense, but remember if the SHTF you may be totally screwed.

Imagine ending up 100 yards off shore in a strong off shore wind and strong outgoing tide, trying to swim back at dusk on the surface, with full gear including detector, when nobody knows you're out there. There are a few other scenarios I can think of. You can work in some safety margins (reserve air, whistle, beacon). But suppose you have a physical problem? Stroke, cramp, vertigo, hit by boat?

Things happen, try to plan ahead to avoid what you can. Advanced divers only. Don't forget the dive flag.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good starting point for sure.
I was on a "head boat" off Riviera Beach, FL and we arrived at the dock with +1 diver more than we left with.
The diver somehow got separated from his own group.

A lot of those dives are drift dives (as opposed to anchor dives), but still.... pretty inexcusable, even for novice divers.

HIGHLY recommended watching...
"Open Water"...
must see,

And the second one was even better.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Open Water"...
must see,

sick.jpg

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
"Open Water"...
must see,

OMG i cant watch that show again, seen it once and had nightmares for a week!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah crazy movie... based on a true story.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
I dive alone 100% of the time. Even when I am with someone they are nowhere around me. I have been doing it for 36 years. However, I am very comfortable in the water and I have all the safety equipment. I know it is a risk. However I don't want to babysit someone or them me. I have had some close calls. Becoming prop bait has been one. Will I end up dead? Only time will tell. However, I will die doing something I love and gives me peace.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hear hear ! ! !

AKA...

Danish: Skål!

Finnish: Kippis!

French: Santé

German: Prost!

Icelandic: Skál!

Italian: Salute!

Malay: Sihat selalu!

Polish: Na zdrowie!

Romanian: Noroc!

Spanish: ¡Salud!

Last edited:

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF YOURE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH TANKS ON YOUR BACK AND YOU HAVE THE MONEY - GO SNUBA
Surface Air Delivery System
I PIECED MY OWN TOGETHER CHEAPER - HIGH COPACITY TANK - 30 FOOT HOSE WITH RESPIRATOR AND THE FLOAT WITH FLAG - THINK IT WAS AROUND $300+...YOULL NEED A WEIGHT BELT - MADE MY OWN OUT OF MELTED DOWN SINKERS AND OTHER EQUIPMENT - BUT YOU GET SOME DEEP WATER GOLD - YOU'LL PAY FOR GEAR FAST

Thanks for the tip used tire weights and made them from muffin pans, They will now fit in my BC, and didnt cost the 20.00 apiece the dive shop wanted. :)

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Dive shops charge an arm and a leg for their lead. I find so much diving I sell it to them. There is one lake here that 5 dive shops use and they have platforms anchored down above the muck. However, they let the students swim around. I go down with my detector and clean up pouches, weight belts, compasses, masks snorkels and everything else. LOL it is my own little free scuba shop.

The problem with SNUBA is you still have to get certified. I don't recommend EVER diving without certification but you can buy a hookah without it. Training is the key to staying alive. You learn a lot of safety features and tips in the classes and you learn how to be safe. What to do if your mask comes off for example. I don't even recommend wading without a PFD. However, everyone makes their own choice. i still wear a BCD in 3' - 5' of water. No shame in being safe.

My biggest fear is becoming propeller bait. Boaters in Michigan have no idea what a dive flag is. I use a CZ-21 for the main reason is it is absolutely quiet until I hear a target. I usually can hear boats that come close to my flag but that is not always the case.

My BIGGEST piece of advice. Do NOT skimp on a dive flag. I have a 15" inner tube float with a 20 X 24" flag 3' off the water. And a 30 X 36" flag on my boat. I have been educating boaters at the Detroit Boat Show in Cobo Hall for two years. I get close calls EVERY YEAR. I have many stories there also. I NEVER dive in shallow water on the weekends. Suicide.

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hookah alone but with caveats such as good viz....not where watercraft are prevalent....strong maintenance with all of my gear....mild to no currents....shallow water (usually less than 12 feet).

BUT........my best advice with hookah is to only "pay out" as much airhose as you need. This way you will will keep the hookah and flag close to your bottom position without the hookah drifting away if you have all of the hose loose. This also prevents the hookah drifting into any surf or water craft. I usually have about 3 to 4 metres of hose loose with the rest coiled and tied up with rubber straps.
One tank of fuel gives about 4 hours of bottom time but come up at the 3 hour mark and fill up if necessary.
Shallow diving can and is safe but stick to your guidelines and work out in your mind all of the things that can go wrong and have an action plan for each of them.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dive shops charge an arm and a leg for their lead. I find so much diving I sell it to them. There is one lake here that 5 dive shops use and they have platforms anchored down above the muck. However, they let the students swim around. I go down with my detector and clean up pouches, weight belts, compasses, masks snorkels and everything else. LOL it is my own little free scuba shop.

The problem with SNUBA is you still have to get certified. I don't recommend EVER diving without certification but you can buy a hookah without it. Training is the key to staying alive. You learn a lot of safety features and tips in the classes and you learn how to be safe. What to do if your mask comes off for example. I don't even recommend wading without a PFD. However, everyone makes their own choice. i still wear a BCD in 3' - 5' of water. No shame in being safe.

My biggest fear is becoming propeller bait. Boaters in Michigan have no idea what a dive flag is. I use a CZ-21 for the main reason is it is absolutely quiet until I hear a target. I usually can hear boats that come close to my flag but that is not always the case.

My BIGGEST piece of advice. Do NOT skimp on a dive flag. I have a 15" inner tube float with a 20 X 24" flag 3' off the water. And a 30 X 36" flag on my boat. I have been educating boaters at the Detroit Boat Show in Cobo Hall for two years. I get close calls EVERY YEAR. I have many stories there also. I NEVER dive in shallow water on the weekends. Suicide.
I USE SNUBA - NOT CERTIFIED
USE FLAG AND HAVE SPARE AIR
QUICK RELEASE WEIGHT BELT - I USE THICK WET SUITS AND FLOAT RIGHT TO THE SURFACE WHEN RELEASED
AND CARRY A KNIFE - IF I GO DOING THIS - SO BE IT - I HAVE 4 OTHER HEALTH PROBS THAT MAY KILL ME FIRST ..SO
- I WAS ONE OF THE FIRST GUYS TO USE HOOKAH FOR DETECTING I THINK

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I SNUBA AND HOOKAH ALONE - BUT DEEPEST I GET IS LIKE 9 FEET - I HAVE A SPARE AIR ON MY CHEST AND CARRY A DIVE KNIFE TO CUT NETS OR LINE WITH AND TO FIGHT OFF GREAT WHITE ON THE CAPE - ALWAYS FLY A FLAG BUT LIKE OTHERS SAY - MOST PEOPLE ARE DUMB FCKS AND HAVE HAD KIDS TRY TO CLIMB ON MY RIGS OR GUYS TRY TO CAST AT OR NEAR IT - - FLAGS SHOULD SAY "STAY AWAY IDIOTS" - I HAD ISSUES WITH JET SKIERS TOO BEFORE
THATS WHY 95% OF THE TIME I TRY HUNTING AT SUNRISE - 99% OF THE TIME I GOT PLACE TO MYSELF

Snorkeling off Point Judith RI with the mandatory dive flag, finding sinkers, lures, etc... surf casters were using it (or me) as a target for their 3oz sinkers. I moved east to the first breakwater where a couple watched as their bratty kid chucked rocks at me until my wife noticed and realized I had moved and that I was the target of his barrage. She yelled at them and they just sort of shrugged and moved along. I'm lucky the kid didn't have a gun!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I USE SNUBA - NOT CERTIFIED
USE FLAG AND HAVE SPARE AIR
QUICK RELEASE WEIGHT BELT - I USE THICK WET SUITS AND FLOAT RIGHT TO THE SURFACE WHEN RELEASED
AND CARRY A KNIFE - IF I GO DOING THIS - SO BE IT - I HAVE 4 OTHER HEALTH PROBS THAT MAY KILL ME FIRST ..SO
- I WAS ONE OF THE FIRST GUYS TO USE HOOKAH FOR DETECTING I THINK

Casper, Kind of lost here!! SNUBA requires a tank. How can you get a tank filled without a "C" card? Do you know somebody or do you have your own compressor?

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've decided to start slow. I'm going to sign up for some snorkeling lessons this year and just get comfortable in the water, maybe introduce some detecting but I'm going to just take baby steps. Once I get comfortable in the water and if feel the need to either use tanks or a hookah system then go from there. This will be the most affordable starting out and give me a good idea of my fitness as well before just going all out. Thanks for all your help, appreciate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions