Upvote 0

OldSean

Jan 6, 2012
York, PA
Detector(s) used
White M6, White 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its considered a safety risk in case something goes wrong. Your always suppose to have a dive buddy.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solo diving has always been frowned upon, but I (and many others) do it all the time. If I had to wait for other people, I would never be able to dive.

Scuba diving is it's own reward, so I say don't wait to get certified. I would recommend getting a lot of dives under you belt, and focus on fundamentals and situation awareness on every dive before you start bringing in a distraction like a metal detector. Scuba is deceptively simple, but that deception can kill you. But as long as you have a solid foundation and always know where you are, your depth, your air, along with a few other things, there is no reason you can't combine the hobbies, and do it safely alone.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solo diving has always been frowned upon, but I (and many others) do it all the time. If I had to wait for other people, I would never be able to dive.

Scuba diving is it's own reward, so I say don't wait to get certified. I would recommend getting a lot of dives under you belt, and focus on fundamentals and situation awareness on every dive before you start bringing in a distraction like a metal detector. Scuba is deceptively simple, but that deception can kill you. But as long as you have a solid foundation and always know where you are, your depth, your air, along with a few other things, there is no reason you can't combine the hobbies, and do it safely alone.

Thanks that gives me the confidence to at least sign up for some classes because I don't know yet how I will react being under water and controlling my breathing. I felt the same way about kayaking all my life till 3 years ago. I always thought if you flipped you would drown upside down but the instructors assured me you will fall right out, they were right. Was a great experience. Thanks

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been thinking of learning how to scuba dive just to detect is in shallow water, does anyone here scuba dive in shallow water by themselves. I mentioned this to a coworker and he said you can't scuba dive on by yourself.

The bottom line is, the deeper you go, the more risky it becomes.
But then, people sometimes drown in three inches of water.

How shallow are we talking about here?
Use a flag float (solo or not), so others will know you're down there. Esp. boating.

Magnum (using a) PI

Feb 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always scuba and detect alone but only down to 20 ft or so..

1) that's the max depth any jewerrly will be at here
2) if an issue arises I can kick to the surface no problem

If diving recreationally I am in a group or couple.

Start shallow, do lots of group / deep dives and get your confidence up

Good luck

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottom line is, the deeper you go, the more risky it becomes.
But then, people sometimes drown in three inches of water.

How shallow are we talking about here?
Use a flag float (solo or not), so others will know you're down there. Esp. boating.

Using a float flag / dive flag IS required by law.
And not just any flag either.
boat = 20"X24"
Float = MIN 12x12 inch.
Now that is for Florida.

But I might add... when its a float flag... taller and bigger IS better.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using a float flag / dive flag IS required by law.
And not just any flag either.
boat = 20"X24"
Float = MIN 12x12 inch.
Now that is for Florida.

But I might add... when its a float flag... taller and bigger IS better.

If you ever spend any time diving in lakes, you learn that dive flag is more danger than safety! Best option is to take it into the water, anchor it, then go do your dive. Too many idiots have no clue what the flag means and will motor right up to it, try to pull it up, drop fishing lines next to them. Many times the flag is omitted compleately. I'll take a lake patrol ticket over dragging a float/flag around while I dive.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah one step at a time. If I get enough practice I'm hoping in a year or so to try with a detector. And I might meet someone who is interested in detecting too.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you ever spend any time diving in lakes, you learn that dive flag is more danger than safety! Best option is to take it into the water, anchor it, then go do your dive. Too many idiots have no clue what the flag means and will motor right up to it, try to pull it up, drop fishing lines next to them. Many times the flag is omitted compleately. I'll take a lake patrol ticket over dragging a float/flag around while I dive.

Nothing pisses me off more than a prop coming in above me.
I WILL NOT be a happy person upon breaking water.

I remember one guy once said to me "Well you don't have to be rude".
And I replied "easy for you to say... your not the one ducking death".

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, Those times make me wish I had a speargun and a 12GA powerhead for the bottom of their hull.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never dive alone. I've done it plenty of times. I carried two dive knives, one on BC an one on ankle. Spare Air and 19 cu. ft. pony tank. Always use a dive flag float but boaters don't know what they are and must think they are free for the taking. Jet skiers are the dumbest. A Hookah system is better than tanks but you still should carry a pony bottle. and a lift bag for those $$$ anchors.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I SNUBA AND HOOKAH ALONE - BUT DEEPEST I GET IS LIKE 9 FEET - I HAVE A SPARE AIR ON MY CHEST AND CARRY A DIVE KNIFE TO CUT NETS OR LINE WITH AND TO FIGHT OFF GREAT WHITE ON THE CAPE - ALWAYS FLY A FLAG BUT LIKE OTHERS SAY - MOST PEOPLE ARE DUMB FCKS AND HAVE HAD KIDS TRY TO CLIMB ON MY RIGS OR GUYS TRY TO CAST AT OR NEAR IT - - FLAGS SHOULD SAY "STAY AWAY IDIOTS" - I HAD ISSUES WITH JET SKIERS TOO BEFORE
THATS WHY 95% OF THE TIME I TRY HUNTING AT SUNRISE - 99% OF THE TIME I GOT PLACE TO MYSELF

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah one step at a time. If I get enough practice I'm hoping in a year or so to try with a detector. And I might meet someone who is interested in detecting too.
IF YOURE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH TANKS ON YOUR BACK AND YOU HAVE THE MONEY - GO SNUBA
Surface Air Delivery System
I PIECED MY OWN TOGETHER CHEAPER - HIGH COPACITY TANK - 30 FOOT HOSE WITH RESPIRATOR AND THE FLOAT WITH FLAG - THINK IT WAS AROUND $300+...YOULL NEED A WEIGHT BELT - MADE MY OWN OUT OF MELTED DOWN SINKERS AND OTHER EQUIPMENT - BUT YOU GET SOME DEEP WATER GOLD - YOU'LL PAY FOR GEAR FAST

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...YOU COULD ALSO GO WITH A HOOKAH SYSTEM ...ONCE AGAIN IF YOU GOT THE CASH
WILL SEND YOU PM WITH ARTICLES IVE WRITEN - SOME MAY HELP

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never dive alone. I've done it plenty of times. I carried two dive knives, one on BC an one on ankle. Spare Air and 19 cu. ft. pony tank. Always use a dive flag float but boaters don't know what they are and must think they are free for the taking. Jet skiers are the dumbest. A Hookah system is better than tanks but you still should carry a pony bottle. and a lift bag for those $$$ anchors.

I always carry 2 dive knives... even if with 100 divers.

In fact... IF I dove naked... I would have 2 dive knives IN SHEATHS taped to my waist :P

Never... Ever... dive without a knife.
It is the single most valuable diving tool / equipment that you can posses underwater besides WORKING air reg.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and P.S. >

I am afraid of a knife on the leg...
All because of a story I heard as a kid...
Told to me by an "old salt"...
About 2 divers and one dive knife strapped to his leg...

Which was swallowed by a shark... along with a piece of his leg.

Heh.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry 2 dive knives... even if with 100 divers.

In fact... IF I dove naked... I would have 2 dive knives IN SHEATHS taped to my waist :P

Never... Ever... dive without a knife.
It is the single most valuable diving tool / equipment that you can posses underwater besides WORKING air reg.

For those not familiar with diving, he is absolutely correct. I carry EMT shears, but they serve the same purpose. Carry on opposite parts of the body, lower leg and waist or shoulder. ESPECIALLY when diving in the ocean. Monofiliment line is almost invisible, and any loose line will wrap itself around your and your gear like a living thing trying to kill you. You WILL NOT break a piece of 50 or 100# test leader. Same goes for loose cave line, nets, etc. If you can't cut yourself free, you;ll have the rest of your life to try to figure out a solution.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those not familiar with diving, he is absolutely correct. I carry EMT shears, but they serve the same purpose. Carry on opposite parts of the body, lower leg and waist or shoulder. ESPECIALLY when diving in the ocean. Monofiliment line is almost invisible, and any loose line will wrap itself around your and your gear like a living thing trying to kill you. You WILL NOT break a piece of 50 or 100# test leader. Same goes for loose cave line, nets, etc. If you can't cut yourself free, you;ll have the rest of your life to try to figure out a solution.

AND... our good friends "the sharks"...
I have had too many "close calls" with them...
IF it comes to it...
Which it almost has...
And I am being threatened by a shark or sharks...

Both hands with knives... watching eyes... ready for a poke or two.
Thwarting that "exploratory bite". heh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread