Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
After conversing w “Top” from Rio De Janeiro on TreasureNet, I decided to start saving some of my trash found while MDing.

031116 Danger items 007.jpg

Junk found while metal detecting Florida beaches (in 9Q bucket). From only 3 - 4 outings. I recover some targets even if I know they’re “junk”, just to see what they are. Sometimes I’m surprised with tools or other Keeper items (fishing net - cool).

Imagine multiplying my trash by the number of all you beach MDers…you see where I’m going. That’s a lot of trash. Worse (or better depending on your perspective), a lot of the trash is downright dangerous. In the past few months alone I have come across a rusty razor blade, multiple fishing hooks, jagged pop or beer cans and a saw blade, to name a few. Below are pics, of recently recovered items, including a bottle top with broken glass neck and saw blade. Although weathered, the broken glass neck would still do damage if directly stepped on. The rusty pointed saw blade would do serious damage and require a tetanus shot. Now you know why I always wear shoes or sandals on the beach (hard soled diving boots in water…but they won’t help w the sting rays).

031116 Danger items 001.jpg 031116 Danger items 004.jpg

Would like to see what others have found and what the worse is. Next time there is legislation against metal detecting; we should send the law makers all of our recovered garbage and dangerous items...free.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
100% Agree with everything Sir Gala Clad has said. Many beaches are garbage dumps and need Metal Detectorists to clean them up. Always good PR to show beach goers what junk and dangerous items we're picking-up! Whenever I get the chance (i.e., every time someone asks what I've found) I tell beach goers the DANGEROUS things that I have found and show them an item if easily available. More often than not they're totally shocked at what I find and show them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread