Excalibur Hip Mount Cable Restaints

SBMatt

Greenie
Dec 22, 2015
Goleta, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking of getting or making a hip mount for my Excal, but I know I want to make sure the cables wont have pressure put on them. I know the plugger mount has a CSR system for the coil cable, but nothing for the headphones. It also costs a lot more than the Anderson mount.

Anyone have any ideas or made something for their hip mount to hold the cables? I figure it shouldn't be too hard to make something. I'm thinking I'll just get the Anderson mount and modify it.

I was just looking and found these, would they work? maybe a small nut and bolt threw the belt and then use zip ties?

032076072612lg.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I Have3 Excals 8,10 and wot coil. All 3 are hip mounted. Have used them for 5 years with no cable supports and have had no problems with cables. The trick is to was off you excal after each use and remove coil cover to clean coil. And once a week usually on sunday nite I spray a thick coat of armorall on the cables, shaft, coil head phones and excal. let it sit for 10 minutes and use a paint brush to work it in. Then with a rag wipe it down. I also spray the battery prongs with a contact spray cleaner. My cables and rubber fittings look good as new. You take care of your detector and it will take care of you. Good luck Joe in so cal.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 247.bmp I made this neck harness out of wood, but made a better one from a alum chair leg. The neck harness allows the cable to swing free and takes weight off the arm. Controls are in front for easy adjusting. Never had any problems.:thumbsup:

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This just my take on the Excalibur and hip mounting. I tried doing that. You can protect the cables simply by taping the cable to the body with a loop.

The problem is the size of the thing. And swinging the machine. No matter where you put it, swinging interferes with the body of the machine.

Now some love mounting it. Don't get me wrong. For me it looks as if the machine was not designed to be hip mounted. I have seen a few put it on their backs. Now adjust the controls?

Gl. -Joe

I'm thinking of getting or making a hip mount for my Excal, but I know I want to make sure the cables wont have pressure put on them. I know the plugger mount has a CSR system for the coil cable, but nothing for the headphones. It also costs a lot more than the Anderson mount.

Anyone have any ideas or made something for their hip mount to hold the cables? I figure it shouldn't be too hard to make something. I'm thinking I'll just get the Anderson mount and modify it.

I was just looking and found these, would they work? maybe a small nut and bolt threw the belt and then use zip ties?

View attachment 1286488

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Have3 Excals 8,10 and wot coil. All 3 are hip mounted. Have used them for 5 years with no cable supports and have had no problems with cables. The trick is to was off you excal after each use and remove coil cover to clean coil. And once a week usually on sunday nite I spray a thick coat of armor-all on the cables, shaft, coil head phones and excal. let it sit for 10 minutes and use a paint brush to work it in. Then with a rag wipe it down. I also spray the battery prongs with a contact spray cleaner. My cables and rubber fittings look good as new. You take care of your detector and it will take care of you. Good luck Joe in so cal.

A word to the wise, about 90% of the excal repairs at the Minelab repair center for shorts in cables come from detectors that are used on waist belts and chest mounts because of the flexing. A simple short that can be fixed with out needing a new coil or head phones will cost you about $100 plus shipping. If there are shorts in both the headphones and the coil then your looking at about $150 plus return shipping. The excal is tuned to the length of the cable so you can't start cutting off much of the cable before you start affecting the performance of the excal...

If they can't fix the coil cable a new coil costs $209.99 plus shipping, a new set of headphones cost $150 to $200 depending on the ones you chose plus $75 to install them and return shipping.....

I highly recommend anyone using waist belts consider not doing so and go to a straight shaft...

Armor all is not good on cables, it contains petrochemicals, a silicone spray like McNett Silicone Spray is much better for it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a couple of Excal 1000's. both are hip mounted. One has the stock 10" coil and headphones, the other has the NEL 15" Attack coil and GGA's. I zip tie the cables right to the control box on that end and allow extra cable length beyond that so there isn't any binding. Haven't had a problem with bad cables. I wear the control housing on the small of my back. It's out of the way there. Once set, I rarely have to change settings, so, that isn't an issue for me. If I do have to change something, I have aftermarket knobs with pointers on them, so I can feel where they are and by now I know which knob does what. If you just can't figure it out by feel, you can always just spin the belt on your waist and take a look. Not a big deal IMO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread