cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The OP indicated that he wasn't a heavy surf user, so, given that, I would use the biggest coil you can swing. Use a sling if you need to. I'm a firm believer in getting as much coverage as possible for a given amount of time you have to hunt. I also agree with those who think a newbie should have discrimination or they will get frustrated with all the trash targets and give up. Naturally, if you have a trash free beach, a PI will work great and they're much cheaper to buy, but, discrimination is the only way to go when it's needed.........and most beaches do. I've been detecting for over 45 years now and I don't use a PI machine at all anymore. With 2 Excaliburs (a 10" and a 15" coil) and hunting in pin point (all metal), I get just as much depth as most PI's and the benefits of discrimination. If all you're going to do is get the coil wet, the Sovereign, Explorer, and E-trac are a great choice too.

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Terry, my finds and my success speak for themselves. I find between 3600.00 and 27 thousand dollars in gold a season here. THIS isn't personal at all. I have absolutely no reason to fight with anyone over a stupid computer screen. Last I knew, you were a Tesoro dealer. If you still are you have an agenda. I don't. I am honest and I am here to help others PERIOD.

My advice on a PI machine for ANY beaches that are trashy stands. ANY piece of iron will be picked up and they will be scooping more trash than good targets. I am POSITIVE, most on here will agree with me. I have NO idea where the OP is and neither do you. I give FACTS only. I have a Tesoro Tiger Shark with both 8" and 10" coils. A great machine and it gets used along with my CZ-21.

The fact that you are completely judgmental with people you have never met speaks for itself also. As I said before peace. I have absolutely no beef or agenda here. You want to make everything personal that is absolutely your choice. Life is way too short for that. If you notice, I don't cram any of the machines I use down anyone's throat. I have been around enough to know what works and what works best for me in my environment.

I definitely agree. There was a beginner here who showed up hunting the dry sand with a PI machine. I'd never used a PI machine and asked if I could take it for a swing. First I checked an area with my AT pro and heard a bunch of junk iron and one bottle cap hit, nothing really worth digging. Then I took FOUR STEPS with the PI machine. I heard about 30 hits, all sounded exactly the same. I could have spent 30 minutes digging all that junk in 4 square feet. I handed it back and politely thanked him, and then thanked god that I did not use a PI machine.

In the wet sand, YES! Sure!

In the trashy dry sand of a tourist beach not me thanks!

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you use your AT PRO in wet sand you have to turn the sensitivity down to about half and that chatter really clears up. I still find items 6 inches down with it set that way.

Yes and you definitely need to be in PRO zero mode, ignore the chatter and wait for loud hits. Dig everything except solid iron hits. I can get to around 9" with small rings in the wet.

AT Pro is not a bad choice is OP is going to be hunting mostly land and dry sand, and occasionally wet. He can find a used one for around $300

For mostly wet and occasionally dry, I'd move towards a multifreq machine.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be late, but when i was starting I bought a couple 2nd hand machines, sand shark and Garrett's Sea Hunter pi. I found 'em a bit frustrating, digging trash. Part of that may have been me working out the kinks for myself, maybe I was just ready by the time I got a Beach Hunter ID. First two trips out, total of 6 hours, i got 2 gold rings, one of 'em had 3 diamonds, 1 ctw; silver tiffany ring, and a silver toe ring. I didn't always do that good every time out, but it was a solid producer. I bought it for $450 and eventually sold it for $400 after a lot of use. The thing about Whites is their machines tend to hold up pretty good, so buying a used one is a good option. It's not the ideal machine, the coil on the BH-id likes to float is the main issue - I've read the BH 300 with the 12" coil is not a floater, but then someone told me that it is, so I dunno, and it costs about $100-$200 more for a used one generally - but for getting into a somewhat expensive type of metal detecting, to see if you like it and can handle hunting in the water, it works good. Then you can get an excalibur or ctx later, sell the BH to help pay for it, or keep it as a backup, for when your ctx is being repaired. I wouldn't bother with any VLF machine that wasn't multi-frequency for hunting in the saltwater.

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Whites DFX. Pick one up for 4-5 hundred. Two frequencies means no problems on wet salt sand. Originally an $1,100.00 dollar Whites flagship unit. Could be an option worth exploring.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Isnt there some rule that a dealer must identify himself when recommending something he sells?
If not, there ought to be.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be late, but when i was starting I bought a couple 2nd hand machines, sand shark and Garrett's Sea Hunter pi. I found 'em a bit frustrating, digging trash. Part of that may have been me working out the kinks for myself, maybe I was just ready by the time I got a Beach Hunter ID. First two trips out, total of 6 hours, i got 2 gold rings, one of 'em had 3 diamonds, 1 ctw; silver tiffany ring, and a silver toe ring. I didn't always do that good every time out, but it was a solid producer. I bought it for $450 and eventually sold it for $400 after a lot of use. The thing about Whites is their machines tend to hold up pretty good, so buying a used one is a good option. It's not the ideal machine, the coil on the BH-id likes to float is the main issue - I've read the BH 300 with the 12" coil is not a floater, but then someone told me that it is, so I dunno, and it costs about $100-$200 more for a used one generally - but for getting into a somewhat expensive type of metal detecting, to see if you like it and can handle hunting in the water, it works good. Then you can get an excalibur or ctx later, sell the BH to help pay for it, or keep it as a backup, for when your ctx is being repaired. I wouldn't bother with any VLF machine that wasn't multi-frequency for hunting in the saltwater.

My friend has an Excal with the 10" coil and i have the BHID 9.5", in all metal with ID at max sens the BHID goes just as deep as the Excal with the 10" coil. I tested this in dry sand to soaking sand. The BHID is a great starter beach unit but loves bottlecaps, it cannot discriminate the newer iron alloy mix as well as most others types of BC:BangHead:. I could not test this on the Excal and check its affinity for bottlecaps as my friend did not want to relinquish the Excal. I can certainly recommend the Excal, BHID, and CZ-21 to anyone. If you're not planning on getting in the water and are on a budget as stated by Escape ..the DFX !

roundness1.jpg

Last edited:

bungyboy

Aug 22, 2014
Southeast of Disorder
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Il

I'll probably get slammed for this. I'm a sixteen year rookie. Used a roughly $900 dollar machine with all the bells and whistles all this time. I discovered my $230 tesoro silver umax works great in wet and dry sand. "Galveston Tx" I know this isn't what it's made for but it worked for me. My machine could very well be a mistake or something. I don't have enough knowledge to know why it works for me. I'm just saying my cheap machine is a great alternative for me especially since both my biceps are torn and my shoulder is permanently dislocated so the little machine is a godsend. These guys are the pros. Maybe they can explain that a low priced but not cheap detector (Tesoro) might work for you.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sorry was thinking just beach hunting in general. Wet sand and dry, not much for wading but I guess I could put most detectors in a waterproof box.

Been eyeballing a sovereign gt but not sure about how good it would do in trash.

Thanks for the help.

The Sovereign GT is an excellent machine...no doubt. But...if you're going to the beach, at some point, you'll want to venture into the surf...even if only ankle deep. One trip, one misstep, you fall and the game is over for the GT. Saltwater spray isn't really good for non waterproof machines also.

I had a Safari at one point and was forever paranoid about it getting wet. Since 99% of my detecting is at the beach, I bought an Excal II and never looked back. I sold the Safari and now have two Excals that I never worry about.

If you're patient, you can find a good used Excal for under $1,000. Buy a quality tool designed for the job you have in mind up front and you won't buy twice....unless you want to of course! :icon_thumright:

Just the view from my foxhole...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread