Best detector for Florida beaches.

grey95chevyboy

Jan 5, 2016
Stuart
Detector(s) used
Cz-21 cz-3d cz-5 whites classic 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,Iam New to water searching, my father and I used to hunt land when I was a kid all the time. With my wife constantly wanting to go to the beach I figured I could do something usefully while she takes on the sun rays.I've been looking at at pro's but not sure since 90 percent of my hunting will be on florida east coast in the water or sand searching.I hear salt can be a issue with at pro's at time. I have a budget of under a grand any suggestions?I would be mostly doing waist level searching.

Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might have been the BLING Casper.......:laughing7:. Takes years to acquire those kind of finds....... its not that easy. IMO used is the way to go....... not many salt water machines out there that wont need repairs..... so plan for it. Depending on how much you are out there....... most will never have problems until after the warranty is gone. You should do fine with your choice...... lot has to do what you start out on and LEARN.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
You will want to use a belt or chest hardness if you will be spending lots of time on wet sand. Its heavy out of the water. Get a good scoop cause you will be digging deep. Congrats, good luck and lots of fun and great finds.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on your new detector! I have a lot of fun with my CZ20. I hope you do the same! Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might have been the BLING Casper.......:laughing7:. Takes years to acquire those kind of finds....... its not that easy. IMO used is the way to go....... not many salt water machines out there that wont need repairs..... so plan for it. Depending on how much you are out there....... most will never have problems until after the warranty is gone. You should do fine with your choice...... lot has to do what you start out on and LEARN.
There are a lot of guys using Excals and other machines that do as well as me if not better - Ive been detecting since 1975
I know to learn your machine(s) - and believe if I used any machine - Id find a way to do well with it
good example - I use an old Whites XLT - a lot of relic hunters that use high priced land machines make fun of me but I still go to hunted out farm fields and pull nice finds they miss
keep saying I should up grade but if I'm still doing ok with it - why change
well a few yrs back - I tried to get into a large team relic hunt - the whites team was full - my only chance to go was to join the garrett team - was lucky and found a new used garrett on ebay
I got it -read directions and went out in the field with it to to get some practice - I was finding colonial coins and relics at spots that were hammered by a lot of other hunters with all kinds of machines - at one spot I pulled 3 KG coppers - my partner was shocked - I was too - I hit like 3-4 different spots and got old coins at each of them
thing is I hate that machine - I found it quirky - I used it on the hunt and did ok with it --but ive not used it since - its a back up
and will loan it out - I keep wondering if I took it out again if it would still perform - i'll have to try again sometime
but hopefully I made my point ---I use to use this pic to make my point when people would ask "which machine is better"

(think this was in 2006)
I had picked up a used cz20 on line as a back up - but had not really used it much
I started the day with my pi pro and was doing ok - I got hit by a small wave - lost my balance
and stuck my arm out and snapped my lower rod - took a break and change machines - headed back out
for the most part - I think they did equally as good or I did
Ive hunted with guys with Excals where we both did equally good in the same area - you will never see me say that my machine is better than anyone else's
cause I know its not all about the machine

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will want to use a belt or chest hardness if you will be spending lots of time on wet sand. Its heavy out of the water. Get a good scoop cause you will be digging deep. Congrats, good luck and lots of fun and great finds.

You can shaft mount it and it's totally useable.. I regularly hunt dry sand with my CZ shaft mounted. It balances perfectly with a 10" coil.

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 139
OP
OP
G

grey95chevyboy

Jan 5, 2016
Stuart
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well gentlemen I took her out to the beach for the first time,I must say I am impressed.I didn't dive was just dry sanding today and I dug stuff about 18 inches down I couldn't believe it. I didn't find any bling but some change lots of trash and one fishing knife and a switch blade that looks like pretty good quality. I am waiting for my rtg scoop and some other stuff to start hitting the water...but even on dry sand this thing is better then any machine I have ever used.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you too all the members who have given me info and reached out to me to lead me in the right direction.I purchased a used cz-21 today locally. I can't wait to go out and have some fun. Thanks again.

Congrats on your purchase. Make sure you do a leak test before you take it in the water. Also, when you tighten or loosen the screws for the battery compartment do them evenly... a little on each screw until they are both loose / tight. If you loosen just one, all of the stress goes to the ear on the tight side... and it will crack over time.

While I'd love to own a CTX, the CZ does the job and it's very easy to set up and use.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well gentlemen I took her out to the beach for the first time,I must say I am impressed.I didn't dive was just dry sanding today and I dug stuff about 18 inches down I couldn't believe it. I didn't find any bling but some change lots of trash and one fishing knife and a switch blade that looks like pretty good quality. I am waiting for my rtg scoop and some other stuff to start hitting the water...but even on dry sand this thing is better then any machine I have ever used.

CZ21 is awesome. Hunt in all metal and then go to disc 0 when you get a hit. Its a pretty easy machine to pick up and learn to use but it will take many hours to master. Its also built like a tank. Definitely get the mount flgliderpilot posted. They sell on ebay for $16 and make a world of difference.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I advise against using a waist or chest belt, repair center told me the majority of excals they get in for shorts in the cables are from hunters using the waist and chest mount due to the constant flexing of cables, that doesn't happen when shaft mount..... If weight is an issue use a detecting harness...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post deleted....FYI, only charter members can sell...

OP
OP
G

grey95chevyboy

Jan 5, 2016
Stuart
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since this thread came back to the top,i guess i should update my experience. I love the cz21,ive found silver stainless steel jewery,lots of clad even a 1779 indian penny all at the beach.ive only snorkeled a couple times most my usage has been in the wet sand( the Atlantic does not want to behave).As siad before i love the cz21.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
My CTX loves Florida beaches...

IMG_3311.JPG IMG_3305.JPG

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
I advise against using a waist or chest belt, repair center told me the majority of excals they get in for shorts in the cables are from hunters using the waist and chest mount due to the constant flexing of cables, that doesn't happen when shaft mount..... If weight is an issue use a detecting harness...

Yep buy the $16 mount from ebay. You can swing all day and keep it on the shaft.

deldave

Jul 9, 2013
coastal Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, ACE 250, pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last years finds on the Delaware shore. AT PRO in and out of the water. Be advised, you may not like the water as much as the dry beach. DSCF0016.JPG DSCF0018.JPG DSCF0310.JPG

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Excal gets my vote. I have two of them and love them both. I do have the AT Pro too but the Excal is the water machine. My next one will be the CTX 3030.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009

Thanks for the advise. Will look into it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread