Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2015
Poland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi

Im freshwater lake hunter from Poland. Im moving soon and I will live near Baltic sea. Im using garrett at pro now but I know it won't work in salt water. I need some advice on good beach and salt water detector. I compared ctx, cz21 and excalibur II on youtube tests and metaldetectorreviews.net Im little confused and I don't know which one I should choose. On metaldetectorreviews CZ21 has avg. depth rating much better than ctx and excalibur. From other hand cz21 is only two frequency detector and pretty old design. CTX is leaking and excalibur has pretty poor discrimination (saw youtube test where u can see excalibur won't see gold ring under iron nail). Anyone here used all 3 detectors and can help me choose? Beaches and waters in Poland are full of trash. Sorry for bad English.

Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IDing targets with the Xcal has more to do with the user than the machine. Bottle caps..... i can almost id a bottle cap every time as well as most targets..... but i still dig most targets except iron. The Xcal is the ONLY machine ive used that HATES iron. I like the sealed batteries on the Xcal, the mods totally changes its capabilities, it is a slow recovery machine in disc.... but the mod totally changes that in PP. Any of these machines will pay for themselves and it may have a lot to do with what you start out with and LEARN. I dont go by depth tests...... since most of them has more to do with bad PPing than correct depth. Best depth test to me is an end of year gold count.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had all three and still have the Excal and CTX. For hardcore beach hunting I prefer the Excal mounted on a rear mount straight shaft.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
one more question, is CTX still leaking or they already fixed it?

The new hardware version of the CTX has a thicker battery gasket. The USB seal still looks to be the same type.

I have the new hardware version AND an o-ring kit ala Frogmaster. I have not installed it yet because I am waiting for the answer to your question to roll in. I do not want to be the guinea pig, but the seal does seem to be better. As an indicator, I have never had a latch get tripped open. They seem very secure with the stock battery gasket.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new hardware version of the CTX has a thicker battery gasket. The USB seal still looks to be the same type.

I have the new hardware version AND an o-ring kit ala Frogmaster. I have not installed it yet because I am waiting for the answer to your question to roll in. I do not want to be the guinea pig, but the seal does seem to be better. As an indicator, I have never had a latch get tripped open. They seem very secure with the stock battery gasket.

Recommend using a rubber wrist band on the battery clamps to insure a clamp doesn't catch on something while swinging detector in the water and pop open, it is a simple and very cheap insurance. I have one for mine with maybe 3 or 4 spares I carry...

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I added the 15" coils to my excals and hunt in reverse discrimination I am seeing targets at 20"+ many times...

That's impressive my CZ only goes down 10-11" in the salty sand with the 8" coil :icon_thumleft:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of good advice in this thread.
fwiw, I beach hunt with the CTX+17" coil unless I know I will be dunking the machine. In that case I take my Excal. I have dunked my CTX numerous times in fresh and salt water but have enough faith in the Excal now to dedicate it to snorkeling and waist+ depth water. And swinging a 17" coil in water for any length of time isn't to be sneezed at either.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want a 3 pound CZ21 with a screen.

Yes sir been saying this for years, my CZ is a tank and weighs just as much. I get a better workout swinging my CZ for 5 hours than 1 hour hitting the weights 3 times a week !:BangHead: I don't chest mount to prolong the life of the cables and connectors.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Yes sir been saying this for years, my CZ is a tank and weighs just as much. I get a better workout swinging my CZ for 5 hours than 1 hour hitting the weights 3 times a week !:BangHead: I don't chest mount to prolong the life of the cables and connectors.

I have used a scuba weight belt on my CZ-21 since I got it in 2002 or 2003. It was a CZ-20 then. I have never had a problem with the cables or connectors. I have an E-trac and I never look at the screen. I don't even use the pinpoint button. I can tell by the sounds. I don't mind digging aluminum bottle tops. First Texas also at my request disabled the pinpoint button on my CZ-21.

So to me the weight is no issue and no screen is no issue. However, we all have our preferences. My gold finds speak for themselves. I also think with it being hip mounted it looks professional.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a scuba weight belt on my CZ-21 since I got it in 2002 or 2003. It was a CZ-20 then. I have never had a problem with the cables or connectors. I have an E-trac and I never look at the screen. I don't even use the pinpoint button. I can tell by the sounds. I don't mind digging aluminum bottle tops. First Texas also at my request disabled the pinpoint button on my CZ-21.

So to me the weight is no issue and no screen is no issue. However, we all have our preferences. My gold finds speak for themselves. I also think with it being hip mounted it looks professional.

When you are in a beach filled with shallow 6-8" crusty pennies that resound with a high tone on a multiple tone machine just like a class ring or a dime, one learns to appreciate an LCD based system that at those depth can very accurately ID a zinc penny and save valuable time! However if the signal is deep and high tone i always dig ID or not !

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
When you are in a beach filled with shallow 6-8" crusty pennies that resound with a high tone on a multiple tone machine just like a class ring or a dime, one learns to appreciate an LCD based system that at those depth can very accurately ID a zinc penny and save valuable time! However if the signal is deep and high tone i always dig ID or not !

I am a dig everything kind of guy, especially in sand. When you find a 10.00 gold coin that rings up as a zinc penny, you will understand me. I have a spot I call bullet beach. It is absolutely loaded with 30 cal bullets and brass from machine gun practice from WW1. Also has shotgun, 45 cal and 50 cal bullets and brass there. However now it is a beach for pretty rich boaters. Not many detect here because of all the bullets and trash. I don't mind. I get them and the gold.

One dives trash from bullet beach:
One dives brass from bullet beach: Another dive:

I can't find a picture of all the brass and bullets I have recovered from there. Over 10 gallons so far. I just can't pass up any signals!!

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I could afford a CTX I think a better strategy maybe to buy an excal
and a cz21. 2 detectors in case one fails. if this has already been suggested sorry to lazy to read the whole thread.Lol

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Like I stated earlier, I have an excal 1000, remote pp, carbon straight shaft and a 15" coil. I use a shoulder harness and bungee. It does very well. I thought I had the best beach machine I could get . UNTIL I got a CTX and learned it.
I think the biggest mistake that people make is to use a machine for a while then get something else and on and on... If it's a good machine. LEARN IT! Many swear by the excal . It is durable, but remember, to buy a new excal is about 1500.00. then to get a straight shaft, a pp mod and maybe a bigger coil., your at the same price of a CTX and you also just voided your warranty. The CTX has pinpoint, carbon straight shaft, coils that are easily swappable for a 17, 11, or a picker for the park. You get to choose your own tones for what you like. You can eliminate certain targets if you wish. You can see multiple targets at once on your screen. You have no iron masking. And it is deep. You can run headphones or ear buds. You can go wireless. The coil wires are inside the shaft. You have GPS, time, you can plot your finds, you have multiple, multiple programing to make it the way you want it. With a 5 dollar o ring you can make it go MUCH deeper than 10'. Ask Frogmaster. ..
I hunt exclusively with the CTX and a 17". Yes its not light but with my Minelab shoulder harness I can hunt for about 6 to 8 hours with no issue. I KNOW what I have before I dig it 85% of the time. Yes after awhile you can get decent with an Excal but not as accurate as the CTX. I do prefer the excels pinpoint when it's time to dig . It's spot on. The 17" CTX halo's and makes it a bit more difficult but not overly.

As for the CZ, I hear it is a good machine as well but I have no experience with it.

People usually only hype what they love and aren't open minded. You'll be hard pressed to get an unbiased "best" machine. To many variables. There is no perfect machine.

Last edited:

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Well said jeepGold. My beach hunting arsenal has included the SovGT, Excalibur Blue 1000 and now the CTX 3030. The capabilities of the CTX are far superior than the other machines...

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gromu: I would purchase the CZ21 with the 8" search coil as it is easier to sweep and pin point with in the water. With the AT Pro for dry and wet sand, and the CZ 21 for wet sand and shallow water hunting you would have a killer combination at a lower cost and less to learn.

Brackishwater lake hunter from Poland. Im moving soon and I will live near Baltic sea. Im using garrett at pro now but I know it won't work in salt water. I need some advice on good beach and salt water detector. I compared ctx, cz21 and excalibur II on youtube tests and metaldetectorreviews.net Im little confused and I don't know which one I should choose. On metaldetectorreviews CZ21 has avg. depth rating much better than ctx and excalibur. From other hand cz21 is only two frequency detector and pretty old design. CTX is leaking and excalibur has pretty poor discrimination (saw youtube test where u can see excalibur won't see gold ring under iron nail). Anyone here used all 3 detectors and can help me choose? Beaches and waters in Poland are full of trash. Sorry for bad English.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said jeepGold. My beach hunting arsenal has included the SovGT, Excalibur Blue 1000 and now the CTX 3030. The capabilities of the CTX are far superior than the other machines...
Except for the fact the 3030 only goes 10' deep according to the specs. Do you guys take it deeper???

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Except for the fact the 3030 only goes 10' deep according to the specs. Do you guys take it deeper???

LOL probably not. I did hear of one guy that replaced the two gaskets and said he went to 40'. If true I have no idea. I would think nobody would attempt to TRY to drown a 2500.00 machine. However, I could be very wrong.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Think frogmaster has modified his and taken it deeper than 10'. Check with him.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Frog has been at least 30' with his maybe deeper. I just don't have the $$$ to risk it

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why bother...
IF you are gonna hunt water... get the "tool" that is designed for it.

X2.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread