Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how many of you do the pump up and down thing every time you go out to ground balance ?
you know I never do that and I get fantastic depth where ever I go
I have my machine set up this way around 9 and 5 and never sway from that - some spots I can push to 10 on the sensitivity
I always run with a hum
I think if you do that pump ground balance thing in the wrong place when you get in
you may actually be losing depth sometimes
I also never use the big gold button either - I think its a big waste of time - I can pin point
faster with out it -- just sayin - but that's me :tongue3:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't know if anyone stills uses a whites PI Pro still - max depth was acquired
by turning right knob to -just on - stop after you click on and then crank left knob so you have a steady hum
most guys I know were using pre sets and losing depth - don't know where they tested the first machines
but pre sets always sucked for me -- I got max depth by cranking hum pretty loud in old areas and going for the slightest fluctuations
I got a lot of old gold using it in cleaned out areas too
one of these days I will get a DF and play with it ---we actually have a large contingent of hunters in Ct that use them in "hunted out"
spots and they still pull deep ones

Reelsnrods

Feb 13, 2013
Nantucket
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been fiddling with my GB a lot lately (as often as I've gone out, which is not nearly enough!), as I think I've never really nailed which settings are working best for my location. I'm going to try your first set of settings next time I get out. I've only tried the pumping to GB.

One of the beaches I've found old coins on is a pain, as it goes from lovely white sand to hot rocks and black sand, then back again. It literally drives me off the beach shaking my head...

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Casper i use the pumping of the coil method to ground balance inland with a gain of 10, boost 9, Autotune and turn the GB knob till i get no noticeable difference in threshold while lifting or bringing down the coil, the usual BG point is 6 on mine. I don't use the PP method to avoid wearing it out. This method works at times on the beach but most times i am not able to ground balance at all ! This is probably due to the very low mineral content down here, so i leave it in 6 or the default. In my testing there is no noticeable depth difference between say 5 and 1 which is the lowest mineral density point. I tried this with a buried nickel 10" down, I'm sure in more mineralized ground things would be different. I hunt in autotune mode sens at 9, boost 9, GB 6, all deep whispers that i know will not show in DISC 0 i dig !

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you wear out a piezoelectric pinpoint switch?
I have very low to zero ground mineralization where I beach detect in N FL so never really get any response from gb. I usually just left it somewhere in the middle.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Casper, Good post.

I actually had First Texas disable my big button. Totally agree a waste. In the lakes here I can sometimes get my sensitivity to a bit over 6 but not often. I keep my GB at 10. I don't mind a bit of falsing but not constant.

I never ground balance my machine. I couldn't dig deeper in the clay if I wanted to and I get real deep in the muck and weeds. My hunting style is different than most probably because of the bottoms of fresh water lakes.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have very low to zero ground mineralization where I beach detect in N FL so never really get any response from gb. I usually just left it somewhere in the middle.

He has the CZ-20 from his profile and those buttons had a problem.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the CZ20 and have, at some point, stopped ground balancing. I haven't noticed any issues. I ground balance all my land machines though.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish they would make the gold button where when depressed - touched
it would in all metal change to zero ID so you could do quick check of targets
but that's me

Casper, Good post.

I actually had First Texas disable my big button. Totally agree a waste. In the lakes here I can sometimes get my sensitivity to a bit over 6 but not often. I keep my GB at 10. I don't mind a bit of falsing but not constant.

I never ground balance my machine. I couldn't dig deeper in the clay if I wanted to and I get real deep in the muck and weeds. My hunting style is different than most probably because of the bottoms of fresh water lakes.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
how many of you do the pump up and down thing every time you go out to ground balance ?
you know I never do that and I get fantastic depth where ever I go
I have my machine set up this way around 9 and 5 and never sway from that - some spots I can push to 10 on the sensitivity
I always run with a hum
I think if you do that pump ground balance thing in the wrong place when you get in
you may actually be losing depth sometimes
I also never use the big gold button either - I think its a big waste of time - I can pin point
faster with out it -- just sayin - but that's me :tongue3:

I don't... i start with ground balance at 9... if I get falsing, I turn it down to 5.

I also never use the pinpoint button... maybe once in awhile if I'm getting frustrated with a target falling through my scoop.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish they would make the gold button where when depressed - touched
it would in all metal change to zero ID so you could do quick check of targets
but that's me

+1

It could probably be hacked but it hasn't been worth the risk. If I had a beat up CZ-20 I might give it a try.

I know there was a mod which let you use a trigger to switch modes, but it required the CZ to be shaft mounted, backwards.

Anyone ever seen that?

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

On the CZ-20 the pinpoint button has a rubber membrane that once it fails from use water goes into the housing.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
+1

It could probably be hacked but it hasn't been worth the risk. If I had a beat up CZ-20 I might give it a try.

I know there was a mod which let you use a trigger to switch modes, but it required the CZ to be shaft mounted, backwards.

Anyone ever seen that?

I had plans to do that several years ago but fell in love with the other water machine and plans just got shelved.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think ive ever asked this - for CZ20 & CZ21 users

On the CZ-20 the pinpoint button has a rubber membrane that once it fails from use water goes into the housing.

Yes I thought you had a cz-21 since we were PM'ing back in November about them. I remember recommending the 8" coil and you wanted more depth so you wanted the 10.5". Casper seems to dig 24" targets with the 8 ad I know they handle best submerged.

Last edited:

JC Florida

Dec 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Ditto. The only problem I have is the beer cans that are 3 feet deep. Glad I bought a big scoop.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
THIS is where the pinpoint button comes in handy.

Yes and no. On cans yes. How about guns, bombs, machine gun magazines, boat anchors, propellers, and lots of other large keepers? Sure I find cans, however the keepers outweigh the trash IMHO.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THIS is where the pinpoint button comes in handy.
TO ME CZ WITHOUT USING THE PINPOINT BUTTON -IS JUST LIKE USING MY OLD PI PRO WITH NO PINPOINT
JUST HAVE TO HAVE A LARGE BASKET SCOOP

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...WEARING A MASK HELPS BIG TIME TOO - WHICH IM A BIG ADVOCATE ON FOR WATER HUNTERS
IVE HUNTED WITH TONS OF GUYS THAT DONT - AND WATCH AS THEY SCOOP MULTIPLE TIMES ON EVERY TARGET
WITH ME ITS ONE AND DONE ON FRESH DROPS - IN AN OLD AREA WHERE STUFF IS CLOSE TO TWO FEET - THEN ITS 2 OR 3
BUT THATS A GIVEN

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes and no. On cans yes. How about guns, bombs, machine gun magazines, boat anchors, propellers, and lots of other large keepers? Sure I find cans, however the keepers outweigh the trash IMHO.

That's a good point... sunglasses as well. Most of the stuff you mentioned will be found in the water, and I dig everything there regardless. It's in the dry sand where I find those can caches :|

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread