Beach Scoop help please.

Fishingfromakayak

Nov 19, 2015
Mass
Detector(s) used
BH Shooter II, AT Pro, Vulcan 360
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This summer im gonna take the plung. I have had dreams of metal detecting the beaches of New England and its on my summer bucket list. Any recommendations for a middle of the line scoop. I will be trying both dry and wet detecting, probably no deeper then my waist as I have a AT Pro and dont have the water proof headphones yet. Any thoughts on a particular scoop ? Feel free to give ANY advice,, thnx for reading.

Upvote 0

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This summer im gonna take the plung. I have had dreams of metal detecting the beaches of New England and its on my summer bucket list. Any recommendations for a middle of the line scoop. I will be trying both dry and wet detecting, probably no deeper then my waist as I have a AT Pro and dont have the water proof headphones yet. Any thoughts on a particular scoop ? Feel free to give ANY advice,, thnx for reading.

Two things to keep in mind, 1avoid the thought of going in the water without water proof headphone , things do go wrong.
2 From what little I know of Massachusetts beaches some can quite rocky and will tear up some of the cheaper scoops.
Spend your money once. I destroyed a light weight aluminum scoop near Duxbury.

Hydro Man

Aug 19, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000 OBN RPP & GGA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
IMHO
A large scoop is the way to go with a handle longer than 48" if you are over 6'

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
If you use a middle of the line scoop, you will be making middle of the line digs.

I'd like to thank you in advance for not digging up the good stuff.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the best scoop you can afford. If it breaks, game over. Get several quotes from trusted sponser vendors here on the forum. Good luck!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Are you allowed to recommend a scoop not from a sponsor here? I use one made in Michigan. I absolutely love it when I wade. They have a lifetime warranty and are called Sunspot.

Both of mine have carbon fiber handles and are very light weight.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you allowed to recommend a scoop not from a sponsor here? I use one made in Michigan. I absolutely love it when I wade. They have a lifetime warranty and are called Sunspot. Both of mine have carbon fiber handles and are very light weight.

I'll second this recommendation - Sunspot! The Stealth line of scoops.

My hunting partner is a long time water hunter in these fresh water lakes (ROCKY!). He used my new Stealth 920iX one time last Summer and ordered one for himself. I put a post hole digger handle on mine, but I'll be swapping that out with a carbon fiber handle.

When you order the scoop, you essentially build it choosing options. Because of the rocky waters, and seeing members here posting the scoops they'd destroyed in the rocks, I went heavy duty.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/444254-new-sunspot-920ix.html

I went with the "SuperRugged Option with ToePad" to beef it up further than the picture shown in the above link.

Warning though - it was expensive.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you allowed to recommend a scoop not from a sponsor here? I use one made in Michigan. I absolutely love it when I wade. They have a lifetime warranty and are called Sunspot.

Both of mine have carbon fiber handles and are very light weight.

Yes you can, Sunspot is a manufacturer, not an issue, just don't post link to their website for buying, also posting "John Doe Detector Supplies" web address who sells them would be an issue.....

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
New England, Rocky... I would just take a shovel for a few times to get an idea. Most of the time one is setting in the shed. I know a few hunters that hunt there and that is all they use. Heavy duty and cheap.

And I doubt if the AT Pro is going to work at it's best for you in waist deep water that is rushing. I know In OC MD the AT Pro hunters are bound to hunting no more the toe deep due to the saltwater's of the Atlantic. Good Luck and Be Safe

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Joe, I'd be more concerned about your detector setup than your recovery method. Before you invest in a good scoop, try your setup with a shovel. There are no inexpensive scoops that will hold up to rocky areas. Even the expensive ones will fail eventually, but, they will last a whole lot longer than the cheaper ones.

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
if the ground is heavy and stones to choose a strong model for example Monstrik-9
if the ground is broken shells or dry sand look model with large holes 1/2 " Evroexcavator-2 v.22
for example,
if the sand is fine and clean looking model type Krepish v.11

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ive hunted quite a bit in the water with the land headphones on the at pro. Why? because they sound much better than the blue water headphones.

Works fine... just dont stick your head in the water. Eventually the pots got gritty from the sand and from rinsing them off, so I removed the pots and just soldered the wires directly. I also covered the earpiece speaker grill (under the padding) with multiple layers of packing tape until the volume was acceptable. Now they are not water proof but are water resistant.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
720i Sunspot.JPG Sunspot Stealth 720i. Or ya can go cheap and have to buy a new scoop. If your near the waves let the water wash sand out of the scoop. Though with a AT Pro you'll have trouble with falsing in wet sand or water.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Stavr!! I also agree with others that your ATP will not fare well in the saltwater, it is not intended for that use. There is a reason dedicated saltwater hunters use dedicated saltwater detectors.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An aluminum scoop in ROCKS?? How long will that last? Pure sand no problems. Rocks I would think there would be serious durability issues.
With a stainless steel lip it lasts almost forever...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An aluminum scoop in ROCKS?? How long will that last? Pure sand no problems. Rocks I would think there would be serious durability issues.

He said dry sand and with an ATP he won't be doing any hardcore digging in wetsand with rocks. Yes the little $99 scoop is probably all he needs. If he needs a stainless tip they have those too. I would hate dragging a giant stealth type scoop around with a detector that you really do not need it for especially in dry sand.

Last edited:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
He said dry sand and with an ATP he won't be doing any hardcore digging in wetsand with rocks. Yes the little $99 scoop is probably all he needs. If he needs a stainless tip they have those too. I would hate dragging a giant stealth type scoop around with a detector that you really do not need it for especially in dry sand.

I just looked again. He did say dry and wet. LOL I don't see SAND in the equation. I thought New England would be mostly rocks for some reason. I have seen many pictures of New Jersey and New Hampshire I was thinking mostly rocks. My apologizes if sand is what was intended. I also didn't think of a stainless lip on an aluminum scoop. He also said a middle of the line scoop. A Stealth with a carbon fiber handle is a far cry from a middle of the line one. At over 300.00 it is probably the top. I have two and they are so light and strong I love them with my medical problems.

Thanks for the corrections and the education.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread