Finally, bought a straight shaft for my Excalibur II.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Used the original Excal II shaft for a season and built-up my arms. Original shaft had very poor ergonomics. extremely front heavy. To keep expenses down, I first opted for a rear-end extension for the original shaft and placed the battery and control unit behind my elbow which help balance the Excal. However, after 3 more seasons my wrists became strained due to the forward nature of the original shaft’s grip.

032516 009.jpg

So, I opted for the USA made Plugger 39” straight shaft for my Excalibur II. After a pint of WD40 and a blow torch, not to mention a lot of pounding, I managed to get the lower shaft off the original one. Putting the Excal back together with the new Plugger straight shaft was a snap. What I absolutely love is having a good arm strap! The original Excal II shaft was so front heavy that, I guess, Minelab figured a strap wasn’t necessary? Anyways, I’m 5’10” and the Plugger 39” straight shaft is perfect for me. The shaft is very well balanced for an effortless swing and the handle follows my natural wrist inclination. I’m looking forward to an enjoyable beach hunt next week…with less wrist strain.

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the 3 piece plugger shaft on my Excalibur and love it. So much better than stock.
Enjoy the beach hunt. Best of luck!

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you mind telling where you bought it and what price? I am interested as well. I also am thinking about upgrading the knobs and having the pinpoint button installed...

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lawrencethemder you used the original shaft for one season. WOW!!! You could probably be a body builder. When I had mine one week was all I could stand.You got to be one tough dude.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Do you mind telling where you bought it and what price? I am interested as well. I also am thinking about upgrading the knobs and having the pinpoint button installed...
Yes, I bought it from Rods-by-Plugger on Ebay for $80 w about $24 shipping. I also know that Anderson, the Canadian firm, also sells a reputable straight shaft, although I have not personally owned one. The pinpoint button has been talked about recently on this website.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread