Clive James Clynick Interview on detectors

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been doing this since 1975 - never heard of him - must be a Florida thing :dontknow:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I read mostly Mel Fisher (met him a few times - once right before he passed - he asked me if I wanted to go out and hunt)
and Robert Marx - and some of Garretts early stuff

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a signed book by him! He's Canadian and legit! A great hunter! I've read and owns 5of his books!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
So far I own only one of his books "From Beginner to Advanced" for the Excal. I'm really impressed with it - filled with info I probably would never have been aware of and would never have learned otherwise.

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I was writing a beach, Excal book and then Clive's books starting coming out and a lot of his information was the same as mine. If mine got published it would seen like plagiarism it was so close to what Clive wrote so I abandoned the project. The only chapter that was different was how to study the eye candy.:laughing7:

Last edited:

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 3 of his books and enjoy them. The hardest part I have is understanding his drawings. Is it the bottom of the ocean, or the contour of the beach, or the shore line?? So I have a hard time understanding what he is talking about. It will be a box with a line that curves down and then back up with an arrow or two. Some of them I understand but most I have no idea.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
iirc, he was a Minelab developer or beta tester for years also. Knows his stuff for sure.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Years ago I was writing a beach, Excal book and then Clive's books starting coming out and a lot of his information was the same as mine. If mine got published it would seen like plagiarism it was so close to what Clive wrote so I abandoned the project. The only chapter that was different was how to study the eye candy.:laughing7:
Well...............................? Pics REQUIRED before anyone will believe you, ya know.........

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...............................? Pics REQUIRED before anyone will believe you, ya know.........

People don't have to believe me cause of lack of Pic's. In my earliest posts I mentioned the book in progress, but it's no big deal.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been at odds with him. I give all my tips and tricks free and on a few of the websites he promotes his books. Nothing wrong with promoting his stuff but I really don't believe he is better than others. He gets as lucky as some and knows his machines. There are no secrets to finding gold. You just have to go where it was lost and know your detector.

I think a lot of people know their stuff and put in the time to make the best out of any situation. Casper hunts different than I do. Is he better? Maybe. However we are in different areas and hunt different ways with the same machine. His finds are impressive and so are CJC's. However mine are also. When you put in the time and effort you will be rewarded.

I lived off my finds since my wife died. I didn't have a full time job since we closed our computer shop. I had to learn to be successful and I did. Not by reading books, but trial and error and being out there 3 - 6 days a week. We all know the main rule on detecting. If it isn't where we are searching for it, we won't find it.

I don't have an agenda on any website. I like helping others. Some sell books, their TV' shows, detectors and need to make money off others that enjoy this hobby. If the books work for you, by all means buy away.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman doesn't need to post pictures to prove anything, he has been teaching newbies for years including me.....

CJC is a charter member and is entitled to sell his books here..good books on detecting shorten the learning curve for many people...

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AARC,

I had the good luck to meet him in person at a seeded hunt in Toronto....and trust me he finds some great stuff.

He was wearing an 18k Russian gold monster chain he found with a bunch of diamond on it he found in the Caribbean....it was evaluated at $30K.

Check out Clive's gold page to see some of his goodies.

Regards + HH

Bill

I wonder which he made more money doing ... metal detecting or writing the books on it... heh

I know which one would be more fun :)

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People don't have to believe me cause of lack of Pic's. In my earliest posts I mentioned the book in progress, but it's no big deal.

Sandman, I was referring to the eye candy. Sorry for the confusion; I would NEVER question your credibility.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread