Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll bet that if you asked 5 other "guys with badges", that you'd eventually find someone to decide "no". Because perhaps he thinks it runs afoul of lost & found laws. Or disturbing sand crabs. Or harvest/remove clauses. Or cultural heritage, etc...

Moral of the story ? = don't ask guys with badges silly questions ! :)

I didn't ask, he saw me on the beach and came up offering his opinion
I emailed the rv park and they said public property was ok to detect

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never been to Tybee island and I live in GA. Are the no-see-umms bad there? I have been around that area and they were so bad you had to hotbox a cigarette just to survive them. Off seemed to just give them a buzz.

it was only april so there were none
I suppose like most beaches the bugs are only there if the wind is from inland

pdwpi

Jan 25, 2015
Pooler Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites
Bought a AT Pro last year
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I was a Beach Patrol Officer down at Tybee for 4 years. You CAN Metal down at Tybee on the beach. I often stopped my 4wheeler on the beach and talked with people Metal Detecting. I have a whites and a AT Pro. No permission slip or permit needed. If you go , one spot is pretty good is by the fishing pier. Another spot is North beach. A lot of families go to this area. It was also close to civil war battles. Enjoy !

pdwpi

Jan 25, 2015
Pooler Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, The No keg ordinance was enacted because of the Teens coming and partying. They would get someone of age to buy one and everyone would show up with a cup. Also with kegs large groups appear and the usually fights.

pdwpi

Jan 25, 2015
Pooler Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I was a Beach Patrol Officer down at Tybee for 4 years. You CAN Metal down at Tybee on the beach. I often stopped my 4wheeler on the beach and talked with people Metal Detecting. I have a whites and a AT Pro. No permission slip or permit needed. If you go , one spot is pretty good is by the fishing pier. Another spot is North beach. A lot of families go to this area. It was also close to civil war battles. Enjoy !

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will ad DO NOT GO DURING ORANGE CRUSH

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hi, I was a Beach Patrol Officer down at Tybee for 4 years. You CAN Metal down at Tybee on the beach. ...

Thanx pdwpi. This has been noted by multiple other hunters, who apparently were left scratching their head at Dew Guru's post #7 . I wonder where he got his information ? If you're still around Dew-Guru : Let us know.

Perhaps he fetched a "no" from some city desk clerk, who had passed his question to a purist archie ? Or someone envisioned trampling dunes and fragile sea turtles ? Hence another rumor is born of "such & such place is off-limits".

That's why I always never take such assertions as gospel fact. Till it can be shown to be in actual codified print/law. And ... like this, you see that an isolated "scram" or a silly "no" you fetched (commentary someone thinks applies to the pressing question) does NOT constitute "law".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread