WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would call and ask the seller :dontknow:

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
wierd man, does it feel heavy for its size?

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup its really heavy and works great, and I actually emailed the company, because maybe its just a paint to protect the welds. The top portable shaft is completely polished looking and the lower has about 8-10 inches of the same polished finish but the complete bucket and top portion of the lower has this silver flat paint on it. I didn't really think too much of it at first but all the images I have seen of their products don't have this.

shaft_paint.jpg

scoop.jpg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have aluminum travel one with ss tip

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea about the "paint". I have the stainless one piece long nose, 710 ? Yes it has some weight, but it is built like a brick house. If I get another scoop it will have a flatter/wider mouth. What I have is ok for the amount of times I will likely do water in a season. It"s not like I live on a Florida beach up here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's something amiss here. That thing looks like it's used and not nearly the quality I've seen with there aluminum welds. Maybe a newb was learning how to tig on Friday and they painted it to help cover up mediocre welds.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently this is normal, my email response says they paint all their scoops for esthetic purposes. And this comes right from RTG.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
It' was probably made after lunch on a Friday. All jokes aside. Anything is possible. They paint their aluminum scoops to make them appear plated. It's just for good looks.

Painting the stainless might be a mistake. Who knows. It's something would probably make again for you if you really wanted. That may be just what they do to finish them. I didn't look at their welds the guy who works there is an excellent welder. I owned 3 an all welds looked machine welded and never failed due to not being a good solid weld.

-Joe

For those members who are familiar with this scoop or possibly purchased one, why would the lower shaft and scoop be painted with grey paint? I ordered a new travel model and the top part of the lower shaft and complete bucket and shaft support are all painted with what looks like a silver paint. I find this odd being its stainless.

Last edited:

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
I've been to the RTG shop many times and have never seen a painted stainless scoop. I'd call Loraine or Joe at RTG if I were you...

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been to the RTG shop many times and have never seen a painted stainless scoop. I'd call Loraine or Joe at RTG if I were you...

The email response I received was from Laraine Reilly regarding the paint, she says its normal. I'm just going to remove it.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll post a pic up tomorrow, it is so much cooler looking now. Not sure why they think paint its nicer esthetically than these welds and heat marks, now it looks like a stainless scoop. But regardless of paint its strong, one thing I do want to do still is add the magnet and another grab handle.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO this looks way better and shows the quality better. Looks cheap with that flat silver crappy paint.

scoop_cleaned.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread