EQUIPMENT IDEAS, MARCH MADNESS AND A FEW APRIL SHOWERS

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
I just wanted to share some of my equipment ideas with you guys. I almost exclusively snorkel hunt in water ranging from 5 to 12 ft. deep. If you have clear water to hunt in, you should use snorkel gear because you can find lots of other things that are not metal. I've found jade bracelets and pendants, old bottles and not to mention the paper money rolling across the bottom. I have attached my Sand Shark to a adjustable aluminum painters pole. As you can see the inner shaft attached to the coil fits into the painters pole. I use both hands to swing the detector like hockey stick which takes the stress off of just one arm and shoulder doing all the work. This also gives me a search depth from 5 ft. at the shortest to 12 ft. fully extended. Where I hunt the competition is 24/7 from dry land to chest deep so I try to work beyond that norm at all times where no one rarely hunts except for a few not so regular scuba divers. I also custom make my snorkels out of hard aquarium tubing so that I can make them a lot longer than your normal factory model. I hate drinking and choking on salt water all day. I also included a couple of photos of my weight belt with find pouch attached. Inside the pouch I have a stainless steel clip to hold the good stuff. Simple and I hope useful to some you especially with summer coming and warmer waters.
Oh yeah, I also included a photo of the March madness and a few April showers. Good luck and happy hunting.

Attachments

• DSCF8815.JPG
    DSCF8815.JPG
    818.8 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCF8817.JPG
    DSCF8817.JPG
    692.6 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCF8826.JPG
    DSCF8826.JPG
    802 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCF8829.JPG
    DSCF8829.JPG
    600.4 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCF8838.JPG
    DSCF8838.JPG
    303.2 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCF8820.JPG
    DSCF8820.JPG
    817.1 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCF8823.JPG
    DSCF8823.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HAD A SIMILAR SET UP YEARS BACK -USED A WHITES PI PRO - I CALLED THAT TYPE OF HUNTING "POLING"
I CREATED MINE BECAUSE I HAD LOT OF NICE SPOTS THAT HAD A DRASTIC SLANT OR DROP OFF
IS EASIER TOO - IF YOU HAVE A PARTNER TO DIVE DOWN WITH SMALL HAND SCOOP
HOPEFULLY A SON OR DAUGHTER THAT YOU DONT HAVE TO SPLIT WITH
ITS MUCH EASIER NOW TO USE MY SNUBA OR HOOKAH RIGS
FACTORY SNORKELS ARE MADE TO A SPECIFIC LENGTH FOR A REASON - YOU MUST BE IN GOOD SHAPE
CAUSE LONGER TUBE IS - FARTHER OXYGEN HAS TO TRAVEL DOWN AND CO2 HAS TO TRAVEL OUT - IF TUBE IS LONGER
THAN NORMAL - YOU MAY BE SUCKING CO2 BACK IN BEFORE IT IS ALL EXPELLED - WORKS FOR YOU =GREAT ...BUT WOULD NOT PROMOTE FOR OTHERS TO TRY
I WAS ONE OF THE FIRST WATER HUNTERS UP THIS WAY TO USE MASK AND SNORKEL - MOST TH'ers HUNTED WITH WADERS
I CAN HUNT MORE EFFICIENT WHEN I CAN SEE - PLUS THERE IS ALWAYS ADDED BONUS OF NON METALLIC ITEMS OF VALUE - I WROTE ARTICLE ON THIS YEARS AGO
AWESOME HAUL IN THE FINDS DEPT.
CONTINUED GOOD LUCK

OP
OP
Da Sand Crab

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
Thanks for the response Casper. I know what you're saying about the snorkel,
I should have mentioned that there is a limit to the its length for it to function at all.
Always, safety first. Always experiment and test any new modifications.

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
snorkel mods are fun, ive tried the longer ones too, the only thing i didnt like was had to spit out mouthpiece to clear, instead of exhale to clear the water out good, messin with stuff like this tho keeps huntin fun and interesting.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great trick.... snorkeling with long snorkel tube and when I'm ascending back to surface I will start gently exhaling when I'm 3 to 4 feet from the surface. This way when I hit the top My snorkel is
already cleared, with much less effort!
Oh man it is good to have you back posting!:thumbsup: Extra effort is what its all about peeps!:notworthy:

OP
OP
Da Sand Crab

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
snorkel mods are fun, ive tried the longer ones too, the only thing i didnt like was had to spit out mouthpiece to clear, instead of exhale to clear the water out good, messin with stuff like this tho keeps huntin fun and interesting.

Thats why I use the soft flex on the bend of the snorkel so that when I reach the surface I take the mouth piece out of my mouth, let the water out then put it back in my mouth, squeeze the flex closing off the tube and blow the remainder of the water out the purge valve. Sounds complicated, it takes some practice but becomes automatic. I don't even think about it anymore. I guess I'm always reaching the surface out of breath anyway with not enough air in my lungs to blow the water out. Please stay safe everyone!!!

Last edited:

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant be easy to pin point with that shaft at full extention but ots a great idea!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread