Treasure coast beach dwellers lets have a discussion.

grey95chevyboy

Jan 5, 2016
Stuart
Detector(s) used
Cz-21 cz-3d cz-5 whites classic 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure coast beach dwellers let's have a discussion.

Couple days ago I decided to start just north of the power plant in st Lucie and head south instead of my usual Martin county locations.I was the lone soul for miles and after a hour or so I saw (Joe) a 72 year old man swinging a Excalibur on the high tide line in the horizon. Eventually we crossed paths and started small chatting he turned out to be a real nice guy who has been md'ing for over 25 years. Futher in our conversation we start talking about the dream 1715 find "we all dream of "and he states he found some silver cob in the late 90's and that was the only thing he has ever found from the fleet.We went our seperate ways and i started thinking has anyone found anything 1715 related on a beach in the last 15 years?I do know about the actual treasure guys blowing craters in the water but anyone know of a hobbyists finding anything on shore? Sad to think the treasure coast Does nit have any treasure left.

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh yea - guys have found gold escudos and plenty of cobs - you just don't see guys posting those finds HERE
I was down there like 10 yrs ago and saw guys pulling fleet stuff from the beaches - but after severe storms
usually - ive heard it very sanded in of late
there is a cob forum here and a shipwreck forum - you may see stuff from fleet there from time to time
most guys wont say from the treasure coast but under their name it say s fla. and there aint many other spots you gonna get it from

OP
OP
G

grey95chevyboy

Jan 5, 2016
Stuart
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you casper, just surprised at the little that has been found recently.Joe wasn't a member i did tell him about the forum he didn't seem interested. I guess i will check the shipwreck and cobb section often to see if anyone strikes good luck.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey G95,

Pretty much agree with Casper's take below. Have heard of a few Escudo/Cob finds after storms down this way in the Boca area. I for one will continue to search the beaches near the Gulf Stream in hopes of finding 1715 items. A nice TS sure would make things interesting...

OP
OP
G

grey95chevyboy

Jan 5, 2016
Stuart
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey G95,

Pretty much agree with Casper's take below. Have heard of a few Escudo/Cob finds after storms down this way in the Boca area. I for one will continue to search the beaches near the Gulf Stream in hopes of finding 1715 items. A nice TS sure would make things interesting...

Excuse my ignorance pez whats a TS?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Elderly couple found an Escudo in a cut of beach after a storm somewhere behind the Disney Resort a few years back... SO I HEARD.

Appraised at $60-$80k

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Excuse my ignorance pez whats a TS?

Tropical Storm (or hurricane)

Something to push the cobs and treasure up on shore, or expose what may already be there.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
No problem G95. A nice Tropical Storm to strip some of this darn sand away would be GREAT! You boys getting any nice cuts up that way?

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
I met a guy on the beach here who has been metal detecting for 50 years. He told me that he has found lots of gold escudos and cobs on the Treasure coast. I asked him if he ever post any of his finds on the net and he smiled and said absolutely not.

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't blame him. I hope to find one someday. :) I'll just post it as a purchased necklace. :)

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
That is my goal too! I want on escudo and at least one cob. :laughing7:

OP
OP
G

grey95chevyboy

Jan 5, 2016
Stuart
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem G95. A nice Tropical Storm to strip some of this darn sand away would be GREAT! You boys getting any nice cuts up that way?

I've only seen one good cut in the last 2 weeks,gave me 2 pieces of 925 jewelry.Other then that it's been slim pickings for me.clad is a gift some days.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now I guess they sell/ lease treasure plots or spaces for private guys in the waters off there to search for treasure for like $1000 a space
and ive heard of people (one family inparticular) that have found gold searching these leased sites - if I lived down there - I would sell some of my gold rings and love to try that -
thing is I have never heard of anyone leasing in close to shore which we arenot allowed to hunt - and that's where I would try to get a lease - most get them of shore
so ive always wondered since they get it out like 50 yrds from shore and deeper and guys get stuff in wet and dry on shore - what is inbetween which is the road less traveled
ive never heard of anyone diving and searching like 10-20 yrds off shore at low tide - that's where i'd want to try
plus if you don't get the oldies - imagine how much in recent stuff is in the water where we can not hit in just waist deep - chest deep areas - to me - worth the $1000
and you could move to a new lease possibly every year - food for thought
and if you don't want to foot the bill yourself - you can go in with someone(s)

OP
OP
G

grey95chevyboy

Jan 5, 2016
Stuart
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now I guess they sell/ lease treasure plots or spaces for private guys in the waters off there to search for treasure for like $1000 a space
and ive heard of people (one family inparticular) that have found gold searching these leased sites - if I lived down there - I would sell some of my gold rings and love to try that -
thing is I have never heard of anyone leasing in close to shore which we arenot allowed to hunt - and that's where I would try to get a lease - most get them of shore
so ive always wondered since they get it out like 50 yrds from shore and deeper and guys get stuff in wet and dry on shore - what is inbetween which is the road less traveled
ive never heard of anyone diving and searching like 10-20 yrds off shore at low tide - that's where i'd want to try
plus if you don't get the oldies - imagine how much in recent stuff is in the water where we can not hit in just waist deep - chest deep areas - to me - worth the $1000
and you could move to a new lease possibly every year - food for thought
and if you don't want to foot the bill yourself - you can go in with someone(s)

Sign me up, depending on how long the lease is for, i would be in once a year every year till my death. .lol.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing with that Casper, gotta have the state techy to log entries on all finds, turn it over to them, then, you still may have to wait a year, if you're lucky, to get your cut. That would make me wonder, would they want the newer jewelry, too. :icon_scratch:

Pete Lee, a close friend(rip'd), he worked with the Palm Bch agricultural folks, and had a hunt camp in the Everglades. They (the Lee's) are the last family to live on and farm Torry Island, on the south east end of Lake Okeechobee. Pete used to tell us stories, of going to the treasure coast 60, 70 years ago. said, they'd find these black cob flat rocks, and they were GREAT, for skipping them back into the ocean. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

He told us, they were kids then, 8, 9, 10 or so, they had NO IDEA what these black things were. Said once he growed up, heard the stories, knew what he had done, he said he would LOVE to have just ONE, of those hundreds of "black rocks" him and his brothers and friends, "skipped" back into that ocean! :notworthy:

His wife, Ann Tyler an artist, wrote and illustrated a book of his families journey and legacy, it's called, Torry Island Boy of the Everglades. Good read, and she paints everglade scenes, just beautifully!
I have one of her originals, old lonesome man, headed off into the Cypress Swamp on his horse. We always laughed that, that was Pete heading off to hunt. :notworthy:

It's tough as nails finding them things now. Had a girl scout troop, beat out and find more than me and the Mr, one weekend. They didn't even have metal detectors! :BangHead: :laughing7:
LAWL, outdone by a girl scout troop, I can't ever live that one down! :laughing7:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew about the log of finds and keeping coordinates and all - still for $1000 - if I lived down there
just saying don't know if any guys have ever bought a plot in the shallows where you get the new drops and maybe have a chance at something old
you figure - if no one has been able to go for the fresh drops due to the laws - some of those spots could be gold mines in new jewelry
I bet they wouldn't hold the new stuff long.

I can relate to the throwing the black discs back - I started hunting in 1975 - age 12 -- probably did my first salt water beach at age 14
back then we were not as smart as most of us are now - there were no water hunters - and most of our TR or BFO machines did not work great
with the black sand and all - and we would all throw our regular junk into the ocean (no nails or other sharp items but bottle caps etc)- all of us
I remember finding an actual large crusty washer and saying I thought I had a coin - and then skimmed it out there - then we all started finding
different sized crusted black and grey discs and others I was hunting with just thought they were washers with the hole filled in - I remember throwing
half dollar sized ones and lot of quarter ones into the ocean - I think eventually on another hunt there - finding one I broke open and discovered it was a silver coin - then told the others - and we all started keeping them and realized we all had tossed out probably 100 of them to the sea
im sure there were others that did the same - I had heard stories from others from fla. too about walking the beaches and finding them back in the 60s-70s
and skimming them out too - so some of those could be in some of those shallow areas too - if never searched

Only thing with that Casper, gotta have the state techy to log entries on all finds, turn it over to them, then, you still may have to wait a year, if you're lucky, to get your cut. That would make me wonder, would they want the newer jewelry, too. :icon_scratch:

Pete Lee, a close friend(rip'd), he worked with the Palm Bch agricultural folks, and had a hunt camp in the Everglades. They (the Lee's) are the last family to live on and farm Torry Island, on the south east end of Lake Okeechobee. Pete used to tell us stories, of going to the treasure coast 60, 70 years ago. said, they'd find these black cob flat rocks, and they were GREAT, for skipping them back into the ocean. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

He told us, they were kids then, 8, 9, 10 or so, they had NO IDEA what these black things were. Said once he growed up, heard the stories, knew what he had done, he said he would LOVE to have just ONE, of those hundreds of "black rocks" him and his brothers and friends, "skipped" back into that ocean! :notworthy:

His wife, Ann Tyler an artist, wrote and illustrated a book of his families journey and legacy, it's called, Torry Island Boy of the Everglades. Good read, and she paints everglade scenes, just beautifully!
I have one of her originals, old lonesome man, headed off into the Cypress Swamp on his horse. We always laughed that, that was Pete heading off to hunt. :notworthy:

It's tough as nails finding them things now. Had a girl scout troop, beat out and find more than me and the Mr, one weekend. They didn't even have metal detectors! :BangHead: :laughing7:
LAWL, outdone by a girl scout troop, I can't ever live that one down! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread