How low can you go? "Good enough" saltwater beach detector?

underwater

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gonna spend some time on Costa del sol soon, what better excuse to finally try metal detecting as a hobby :icon_thumleft:

I'm fetching my Vibra-Tector 730 from the post office later today. Now because of Spain, i've decided to go all out saltwater beach/underwater in my first real detector.
Anyone have any recommendation on a "good enough" detector? Excalibur II is to expensive to try the hobby with but I don't want to buy some $100 detector that will either make me hate metal detecting, or that I have to throw away when I decide to stick with metal detecting.

What is the least amount you have to spend to get a saltwater detector to grow with and make some findings with?
I really enjoy snorkling and scuba diving, so submersible is a plus.

Upvote 0

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well, there are no VLF detectors beach detectors that are cheap. The excal and CZ21 are the most popular unless you look at more expensive options like the CTX. The White's Beach Hunter is an option and is cheaper. It can probably be found new for around $800-$850 and used for like $500-$600.

Another option is to go PI but then you need to dig everything. If you were doing that the cheapest you can get is the sand shark. Its like $550 new and can be found used for much cheaper. Keep in mind if you go PI you are digging everything. Many people do not recommend these to beginners.

Now, if you do not care about it being waterproof, then any detector will work fine on the dry beach. Even a $80 one. As soon as you get onto the wet sand you need a better one. You can get a CZ3D used for like $400-500 or a minelab soverign used for that same price.

Those are most of your options.

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
have you been on the Costa del Sol before? Trust me, metal detecting may not be your main focus. As for detectors, I hate to say. Have you asked about detecting there? I never saw anyone before, but that doesn't mean a thing either. Just want to wish you good luck..

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to say, but all dedicated saltwater detectors, especially submersible ones are not cheap. None. Zilch. Nada. Your best bet would likely be a used Garrett Infinium which is a PI (pulse induction) detector with no real discrimination, or a used Excal which is a multi-frequency VLF and does offer iron discrimination. The Tesoro Sand Shark is a great value PI for saltwater use, I am unsure if it is suited for diving though, perhaps Terry will chime in with more info on it. The Garrett Sea Hunter is also a less expensive PI machine, and probably the best bang for your buck if you want a new detector rather than a used one. Whites also makes a good beach/submersible PI detector. No PI detectors discriminate, but all are impervious to the effects of saltwater regarding sensitivity, and many are submersible. I am afraid the the Excal is the only multi-frequency VLF that is made for diving. Beach hunting also requires a good long handled scoop which a nice one will run you well over a hundred bucks and over $200 for a professional grade one. You can "fan" the bottom while diving, but on the beach and the surf you will need a good scoop. Saltwater hunting is an expensive form of detecting and it is also where the most gold jewelry is found so the chances of recovering your investment quickly is higher. I got a used three times on land Excal for $700, search ebay and craigslist for them. Good luck, hope you find lots of gold on the Spanish beaches!!

OP
OP
U

underwater

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, there are no VLF detectors beach detectors that are cheap. The excal and CZ21 are the most popular unless you look at more expensive options like the CTX. The White's Beach Hunter is an option and is cheaper. It can probably be found new for around $800-$850 and used for like $500-$600.

Another option is to go PI but then you need to dig everything. If you were doing that the cheapest you can get is the sand shark. Its like $550 new and can be found used for much cheaper. Keep in mind if you go PI you are digging everything. Many people do not recommend these to beginners.

Now, if you do not care about it being waterproof, then any detector will work fine on the dry beach. Even a $80 one. As soon as you get onto the wet sand you need a better one. You can get a CZ3D used for like $400-500 or a minelab soverign used for that same price.

Those are most of your options.

That's a good list, thank you, I will have a look at those!
Think I need a pinpointer or will the Vibra-Tector suffice for that purpose?

have you been on the Costa del Sol before? Trust me, metal detecting may not be your main focus. As for detectors, I hate to say. Have you asked about detecting there? I never saw anyone before, but that doesn't mean a thing either. Just want to wish you good luck..

I've been there a lot but never metal detecting, this time I'm gonna spend some months right next to the coast. I've seen someone walking along the beach with a metal detector every now and then but not many.
Why would it be a bad place to detect on? It doesn't seem to be prohibited, at least not enforced. From what i've understood it's kind of a law grey zone maybe relating to some relic laws?

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you be digging in clay, rocks, sand... Maybe you don't want to go that deep. Also are you staying out of the waves or chest deep in the water? It all depends on the beach and what you want to do. If you just start with scuba that vibratech looks good and fun. For an all around detector I'd recommend the surf pi as it has good resale value if you buy used. If you then want discrimination you sell it and buy another.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Vibra-Tector 730 is a pinpointer, it can be used like a PI detector but it is not very deep, maybe 3 to 3.5 inches.......

Salt water detecting is not cheap, The ATPro is probably the cheapest you can get by and it isn't a dedicated saltwater detector but can be used in salt water as it is water proof to 10 foot but will be chatty.... A used Excal is your best bet, you can find them for $700 to 900 used if you look around, a new one is $1499. A good detector holds it value for years. 15 year old excals that were originally sold for $1200 still sell for $850-$950 if taken care of...

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also look at the Fisher 1280x they have been out a long time. But they will handle salt but not at the wave breaks.
there built like a tank. You can find some good used ones on ebay.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have posted this about October instead of now. Summer is coming, and all detectors will start going for a premium now. The best time to buy a detector is when Winter hits, no detecting, and people need extra money for the holidays!

You can also contact some of Treasurenet's Sponsor Dealers, and ask them what kind of inventory they have on used Saltwater Detectors. Two things:

1. A REAL dealer will know what is junk and what is still good. They typically pass on junkers (or buy them for parts).

2. A REAL dealer will know whether or not this used detector is authentic or fake (lots of fakes out there). I just had the break the news to an unlucky TNetter that their "DEAL OF THE CENTURY" Excal II was a cheap Chinese Knock-Off. Easy to tell if your eyes aren't distracted by the lowlow price! HAHAHA

Mike

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater. I love mine. Easy to use. Dive to 100'. Electronics are in the headphones, so light shaft due to no box. $680. And the shaft is 3 piece for easy traveling.

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater. I love mine. Easy to use. Dive to 100'. Electronics are in the headphones, so light shaft due to no box. $680. And the shaft is 3 piece for easy traveling.

When I was first shopping for a salt water machine I saw this one and thought it was kind of cool and at a great price.
However, I really question its ability to perform in salt water conditions since it uses single freq.(2.4 kHz) VLF technology.

DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater Metal Detector with 8 Inch Search Coil | MetalDetector.com

Can anyone show real results from using this machine in the ocean?

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Top, I've only got the coil and lower shaft in salt so far, but no falsing like my mxt in wet sand. It's a pretty quiet machine until something is under the coil.
I plan on getting real wet with it this summer (I don't scuba, so wading will have to do). The tone is real sharp with good targets. I have mine set at 3.5 disc. Iron will either not be heard or have a distinct click to it.
Last year was my first with it, found two gold rings, 3 silver rings, 1 silver ear ring, a silver chain w/pendant and a couple junkers. Plus lots of clad. All fresh water.
Here's a youtube video of it...by DetectorComparisons. And plenty more available.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
You DID ask for cheap, how low can you go... and this is the lowest one I know of.

I'll not freely admit that I actually own one is it's taking up space in my garage. I won't put it on my profile either...

Vibra PI Kellyco has them for $281 but I'm sure they would let you have it for a bit less.

It's a beep and dig set up. It has a discrimination knob, and it may even be hooked up to something.

It beeps- you dig.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

underwater

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It always comes back to the Excalibur :BangHead: It's $2000 new in Sweden and I haven't found any second hand at all here.
If I buy from outside Europe I have to pay 25% taxes on it's price plus shipping cost. If I could buy a good condition Excal for $700 I would convince my wife it's worth it for sure :wink:

I'm not leaving for Spain until September, so thanks for the options, I will read up on them and keep an eye out for good condition used ones.

Would you be digging in clay, rocks, sand... Maybe you don't want to go that deep. Also are you staying out of the waves or chest deep in the water? It all depends on the beach and what you want to do. If you just start with scuba that vibratech looks good and fun. For an all around detector I'd recommend the surf pi as it has good resale value if you buy used. If you then want discrimination you sell it and buy another.

It is mostly sand and rocks. I will mostly snorkel I think and second walk the beach, maybe one or two scuba detecting if I get a detector that can handle it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 8" Sand Shark is the cheapest machine you can get to submerge and handle saltwater. Trust me on the 8" coil for snorkeling and diving. I've had both and would never buy another 10.5" coil.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It always comes back to the Excalibur :BangHead: It's $2000 new in Sweden and I haven't found any second hand at all here.
If I buy from outside Europe I have to pay 25% taxes on it's price plus shipping cost. If I could buy a good condition Excal for $700 I would convince my wife it's worth it for sure :wink:

I'm not leaving for Spain until September, so thanks for the options, I will read up on them and keep an eye out for good condition used ones.

It is mostly sand and rocks. I will mostly snorkel I think and second walk the beach, maybe one or two scuba detecting if I get a detector that can handle it.

If I were in your shoes I would get the CZ21 if you are going to spend the money on a waterproof detector. For travel, I would go with the CZ21 for the simple reason that the thing is darn near indestructible. For buying used outside the US not near a repair center I would also get a CZ21 because there is a better chance the used CZ wont need any repairs. If that used machine needs some work you might be up the creek:) If you were in the US I would tell you to choose the excal or cz but given your circumstances I would say the CZ has a better chance of meeting your needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I were in your shoes I would get the CZ21 if you are going to spend the money on a waterproof detector. For travel, I would go with the CZ21 for the simple reason that the thing is darn near indestructible. For buying used outside the US not near a repair center I would also get a CZ21 because there is a better chance the used CZ wont need any repairs. If that used machine needs some work you might be up the creek:) If you were in the US I would tell you to choose the excal or cz but given your circumstances I would say the CZ has a better chance of meeting your needs.

That is the exact reasoning I used to decide on a CZ21 to bring to Brazil.
Thanks for the confirmation. :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread