Which coins are hte winners???

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which coins are the winners???

My hunting buddy and I always have a "just for fun" contest when we go out hunting,

Like oldest coin, best coins, jewelry etc.

Today we hunted a shoreline and each got a few older coins.

Who wins the coin competition? The rarer but fewer coins, TOP choice, or the BOTTOM choice, common older coins but more of them.

Standing liberty quarter and Wheatie >>>TOP

OR

Mercury Dime, 2 Buffalo nickels and 3 wheaties >>> Bottom * after cleaning the 4th cent ended up being a memorial

coins2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

game over man

Oct 14, 2014
SE WI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F5,Fisher CZ-21,Teknetics Mark III
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would have to say that size always matters. Have to take the quarter, quality over quantity.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, it would depend on dates, mint marks, and conditions. If that SLQ has a date, I would probably take it over the others. If not, I'd take the group with the Merc.....it looks like it's in pretty good shape.

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to say that size always matters. Have to take the quarter, quality over quantity.

HA!!!! you wouldn't be a little bias would you????? Considering it is your SLQ!!!!!!!! :cussing:

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, it would depend on dates, mint marks, and conditions. If that SLQ has a date, I would probably take it over the others. If not, I'd take the group with the Merc.....it looks like it's in pretty good shape.

Just to perfectly fair, here is a close up of that skanky beat-up, no date SLQ

slq.jpg

And here is a picture of the beautiful Mercury! :hello2:

beauty.jpg

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Lady Merc...

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the nice finds. This one is close to call. I'm leaning towards the SLQ. Both of you did well. The guy that found the SLQ, needs to watch out for the other guy since he finds so much more!

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the nice finds. This one is close to call. I'm leaning towards the SLQ. Both of you did well. The guy that found the SLQ, needs to watch out for the other guy since he finds so much more!

Thanks.

I think I found more because on this 100+ year old beach the surf/wet sand area was just loaded with junk, and I mean loaded, you couldn't move the coil without hearing a beep even with discrim.

It was much easier for me to separate and pick out the mixed high tone with my AT Pro & NEL Sharpshooter coil combo then it was for him using his CZ 20 and bigger coil. A lot of the coins came out with trash in the scoop with them.

I think we are going back today and since it is the shoreline, he is bringing his F5, which may help in the junk infested surf/wet sand area. I am going to try it with my E trac with a 5" Sunray X-5 coil and see if that is any better at picking thru the junk. The AT pro will be our back up today.

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks.

I think I found more because on this 100+ year old beach the surf/wet sand area was just loaded with junk, and I mean loaded, you couldn't move the coil without hearing a beep even with discrim.

It was much easier for me to separate and pick out the mixed high tone with my AT Pro & NEL Sharpshooter coil combo then it was for him using his CZ 20 and bigger coil. A lot of the coins came out with trash in the scoop with them.

I think we are going back today and since it is the shoreline, he is bringing his F5, which may help in the junk infested surf/wet sand area. I am going to try it with my E trac with a 5" Sunray X-5 coil and see if that is any better at picking thru the junk. The AT pro will be our back up today.

Great report. It'll be interesting to hear how you did today using the different machines in this environment.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Standing Liberty wins every time in my book.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.

I would place my bet on the E-trac with the X-5 (and in TTF) if both people have the same experience. Considering the toasted condition of the SLQ, I cast my vote for the Merc group of coins. Do the Buffs have any dates/mint marks?

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
SLQ any day! Unless merc is a rare date. SLQs are scarcer. Here's a breakout of what I got last year:

206 silver coins total. Only 6 were SLQs and 90 were mercs. Of the 113 "other" older coins not including wheat cents, 59 were buffalos. SLQ winnah! But I couldn't kick the merc out of bed.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
26 Old cents beats 23 old cents. And a SLQ seals the deal.

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great report. It'll be interesting to hear how you did today using the different machines in this environment.

Well, we hunted about 2 hours and I started off with the Sunray X-5 on the E trac, in auto sens using beach mode and my partner was using a stock F5.

My E trac would only run @ 10-15 in Auto sens, but it was 100 times more quiet then the ATpro was yesterday. If I went to manual and kicked it up to 20-23 sens, it got very noisy. I think the loss of depth in auto sens did not hurt much, as we were hunting a 10" to 18" deep cut and 99% of the finds were less then 5" deep.

Besides the normal modern stuff, these were my best finds today....no silver but still a couple keepers. Most of the time the non silver coins, especially the cents, come out like they are coated with sand paint. I ran a bronze brush over them to see if they were wheaties and the dates.

5 Wheats=1920,1928-D, 1940,1944,1957D

Indian head penny 1906

V Nickel 1908

And a Catholic medal that really looks sterling to me, but is only marks ITALY.

I think it was definitely worth going back with the smaller coil.

My hunting buddy, Game Over Man, hunted with a larger coil today and did not do as well.

I went to the stock coil for the last half hour and only got a couple coins. The small coils were the way to go in this particular area.

All the coins that we found the last 2 days came from a 7'x30' area.

512hunt2.jpg

Tons of iron crap etc.....I think that there has to be some silver still to be found.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have probably (60) Mercs... but only (1) SLQ. I have found (5) Walking half dollars too... but still only a single little SLQ.

The rarity of the SLQ makes it way better than it's $.25 size. You would need a seated coin or maybe a Barber half to beat that SLQ. Well played sir!

That other boy is a distant second...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread