May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just picked up a used excal II from a member of my local MD club. I am wondering if anyone has compared depth from the stock 10 coil to any of the after market coils? Is there a big difference in depth and for which aftermarket coils? I am mostly thinking this would be my beach machine as I have a CZ21 that I have for the water. So I am looking at the larger coils for the dry/wetsand.

Also, once kellyco does the mod, is the 10 inch coil ruined? Or can it be kept if you wanted to mod it back someday? I am thinking for resale someone would want extra coil options. I wasn't sure if they needed to cut it or they were able to unwire it in the box.

Additionally, what is the cost? I assume I pay shipping both ways + labor. I checked their website but didn't see. I did search the forums but wanted to make sure the prices were updated for 2016. And I assume I would want O-rings checked and such too...

Also, can anyone point me in a good direction on making a good straight shaft? I see tons of generic directions but if I did it, I would want to make it look nice. Maybe anderson is just the way I need to go. I prefer mounting it similar to this, the exact way I have my CZ21: http://www.treasureclassifieds.com/oc-content/uploads/2013/10/540.jpg

Now I need to decide if I want to do this. This detector is really in brand new shape and I feel bad modding it. I feel like I wouldn't feel bad if it were beat up but I don't think this one even has a scratch on it.

Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im assuming they arent CF, or dont have cuffs or bike handles....... what you swinging for $25? I dont travel enough to have a 3 piece....... and half the time cant get the darn lower shaft off anyway. BUT i have to say CF comes off a LOT better than in aluminum. I also like what Chuck done by putting a cap over the top of the lower shaft so you can insert a rod and tap it out easier.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I recommend anyone purchasing a Excal for the first time to learn it with the stock coil before going to any other size. For me the stock 10 inch works the best and I have many options on sizes to use.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im assuming they arent CF, or dont have cuffs or bike handles....... what you swinging for $25? I dont travel enough to have a 3 piece....... and half the time cant get the darn lower shaft off anyway. BUT i have to say CF comes off a LOT better than in aluminum. I also like what Chuck done by putting a cap over the top of the lower shaft so you can insert a rod and tap it out easier.

No not CF, aluminum, used cuff off original handle and bought 2 bicycle handles for $10, the 6' deck handles were $20 each and are triple-anodized, heat-treated aluminum...

7ea2ccdac4c2b22f8032a8032f2897f7.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread