Experiences with people while detecting at the Beach

Soflhunter

Sep 15, 2015
SoFl
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 ~ CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am starting this thread to heard about other experiences while metal detecting at the beach.

So I usually hit the beach early in the morning before the beach gets crowded.
Today was different, there was a negative low tide at 3:30 pm.
I arrived at the beach about 12 pm and headed for the water and wanted to follow the tide out.
I walked over to a snorkel spot that's usually in about Three or Four feet of water, But today as the tide was going out
it was only about a foot or so.

Usually at the beach while detecting I get asked some questions and have good experiences with people.
Ex :"What is the best thing you ever found" or "What are you looking for".
"What is all the stuff you have on' .

Today was different, Lets get back to the snorkel spot.
I walked over to the snorkel spot and I moved my metal detector around the rocks and I banged into a rock.
A woman popped here head up and said to me" Your not supposed to touch the coral reef"
My response was "it was a accident that I banged into the rock and its not a coral reef its just rocks"
She then said " Do you know what a coral reef is?" and I responded "Yes a coral reef is made up of hard and soft corals and these are just rocks"
She then said to me " I just wanted to know if you knew what a coral reef is" My response " Yes but theses are just rocks'
She then walked away and headed back to shore.
Then a man , maybe he husband said "Your selfish" and I said " They are just rocks"
and he headed for the shore also.
She then preceded to watch my from shore with her hands on here hips as if I was destroying the ocean with my metal detector.

They both collected there things and headed for the Life Guard tower.
As I watching them move toward the Life Guard tower, i decided to meet them there.
So I headed toward the tower also.
But before I met them at the tower, they were already leaving the beach.
So I asked if they complained about me and he said "Yes they did"
He also said 'I explained to her they are just barnacles on the rocks'
He also said to me " No Worries" and I headed back to the rocks.

What bothers me is she made me out to be the bad guy ,when she had no knowledge of what a coral reef is.
Me like many others detecting at the beach pick up all the plastic and trash off the beach.
I believe all of us should receive my credit for what we do in taking care of the beach.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This wasn't at a beach but it was a great experience I had detecting a city park in St. Thomas, USVI when I lived there.

As I was detecting, a local boy about 4 or 5 years old was following me around while his mother sat on a bench and watched. I showed him what I was doing and he was very intrigued. I handed him my pro pointer and for the next hour he was using the pointer in every hole I dug to find the item. His mother was taking picture of us and was very happy. Every coin that he "found" in the hold with pointer I let him keep. It only amounted to a few dollars. St Thomas is a pretty poor area when it comes to the locals so I felt he needed the money more than me. The mother was very grateful and thanked me for letting her son join in my metal detecting.

It was a good day.

HH

Vdubguy

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Maybe we should have a shirt made for us that says, "Unstable - Want to find out ?? " or even Terry Solomans Sign he posted. What say ye Folks ?? I await. PEACE:RONB

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got you beat Joe
I was hunting a beach here in San Diego on a Saturday around 3 am. There are bars near the boardwalk and I try to keep my head on a swivel for jocks who are wasted and might want to mess with that idiot metal detector guy over there.. Well I was walking the tide line and looked back and 2 college girls and a guy were walking near/past me. One girl was topless and looked just like Taylor Swift.. WOW!!!! The other one was a brunette and was totally naked. They didn't seem to drunk or whatever and certainly didn't care that I saw. I was hesitant with my gawking because of the guy.. They ran out into the water and started skinny dipping... I was simply shocked....Didn't find any jewelry that night but my God it made me smile and feel REAL OLD!!!

I feel really old every time I venture over to beach detect in the summer and I'm only 45 7/8 years old! I feel much younger when I go in the dead of winter and all I see are snowbirds from up north.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
For the most part people are nice, but with us being out in the public, unfortunately we get a few bad eggs from time to time. As mentioned, most are nice and just curious. But you get a few know-it-alls who say we're digging up the lawn (or beach), and yadda yadda. One guy threatened to call the cops on me. I said, "go ahead, I already spoke with them." He never called (and I really did speak with the cops prior to get permission). One nut lady told me to get a job. I said I did, and she finally left (hopefully to take her meds).

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year I was at a fresh water lake beach. I was about ten feet away, swinging back and forth, as I walked past a woman on a blanket. She said "watch your rings" to another lady near by her. At the same time she snatched her hand back like I was going to vacuum them off her fingers as I went by. Never saw a reaction like that before, bloody amazing.

She probably has been seen locking her car door while driving 60 mph and seeing someone in another car that makes her uncomfortable.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would consider 10' as way too close to anyone especially if you are "swinging away" as stated. If I was laying there I would feel like my space was being violated if some guy with a detector and scoop/ spade was that close. Don't worry these habits will get detecting banned for all of us! Try going when there are no sunbathers like at daylight or dusk the. There are no worries about how close you are.

Last edited:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
.... At the same time she snatched her hand back like I was going to vacuum them off her fingers as I went by. Never saw a reaction like that before, bloody amazing.

On the other hand... it could be great if she could loose her ring!

People don't like us because they are jalouse, they preffer to loose their value and think that no one will find them...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would consider 10' as way too close to anyone especially if you are "swinging away" as stated. If I was laying there I would feel like my space was being violated if some guy with a detector and scoop/ spade was that close. Don't worry these habits will get detecting banned for all of us! Try going when there are no sunbathers like at daylight or dusk the. There are no worries about how close you are.

Agreed...
AND ! ! !

IMO... 10 foot IS not only "too close"... it is an act of selfish blatant rudeness on the part of any detectorist to come within this proximity of another person.

I don't care anyone thinks... OR are obviously NOT thinking...

This is purely nothing more than a form of self absorbed rudeness.

IF anyone out here is in the habit of detecting near people ... BACK OFF ! ! !

Have some frigging respect for others... Sheesh.

IF they approach you... that's another story...
BUT DO NOT approach them... UNLESS they invited you over.

Friggin people have no sense of respect.

IF the area is so full of people that this is not possible... COME BACK WHEN IT IS.

No one wants dirt / sand blowing around them because you feel you are "entitled" to dig anywhere you please.

JFYI... It has been brought to my attention MANY... MANY times by people who have observed detectorists come within this space of them by not only the persons affected... but by the onlookers as well...
That this is a "creep act".
Most deem this approach by someone in any capacity an act of a creep.

I have heard this over and over from the people who approach me in interest of my detecting...
Which...
I imagine stems from the opinion of me being "a real md'r". heh
Which has been stated...
Also...
Over and over.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I hit the beach...
And see people...
I head the other way.
Always.
If beach is loaded... I find the spot that is not.

Just because one thinks that what you are doing is "cool" does not mean in ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM... everyone does.

Some just want their piece / spot... their peace of mind... without some "dood" or "chick"... hovering near them while they relax or try to enjoy their day.

GIVE IT TO THEM... it is their RIGHT as much as it is yours to detect.

Last edited:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
while hunting low tide during the day,,,,I just stay away a reasonable distance. Hop out in the surf, or further, just stroll,, not swinging like a maniac,,,,,,,,just be cool and keep a buffer zone,,,SMILE.....find ring,,,,hide in scoop, act like a tab,,,,move on taking in the scenery....ooooweeeee... how nice could it be :o

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
while hunting low tide during the day,,,,I just stay away a reasonable distance. Hop out in the surf, or further, just stroll,, not swinging like a maniac,,,,,,,,just be cool and keep a buffer zone,,,SMILE.....find ring,,,,hide in scoop, act like a tab,,,,move on taking in the scenery....ooooweeeee... how nice could it be :o

Welcome to Tnet... glad to hear...
continue on your MD journeys "as you were" ...

IF all were to keep to the "MD code"...
all shall prosper.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
will do,,,,trying also to enjoy my trip to beach...not job,,,,vacation :thumbsup:

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed with what was said above, i stay well away from people in the beach park ect.. Nothing beats night hunting beaches for me, except i only get in the water in the day. In the water i keep more than 20 feet from people unless i was there first.

jeffrey1215

Jun 20, 2016
Portage county, OH
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People are curious as what we've found, is that detector waterproof, and such. They sometimes fantasize on the good items from watching Diggers on TV. The kids are the funniest. When they've ask me what i'm looking for while wading, I usually tell them a kid drowned here and I'm looking for his body. They scram.

lmao, a good trick haha

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I hit the beach...
And see people...
I head the other way.
Always.
If beach is loaded... I find the spot that is not.

Just because one thinks that what you are doing is "cool" does not mean in ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM... everyone does.

Some just want their piece / spot... their peace of mind... without some "dood" or "chick"... hovering near them while they relax or try to enjoy their day.

GIVE IT TO THEM... it is their RIGHT as much as it is yours to detect.
So how many feet should you be away from someone when detecting?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know what perplexes me the most on this...

MD'rs move around... from spot to spot throughout an area...
The general public mostly stay stationary... they pick a particular spot to claim and enjoy.

Why anyone feels compelled to infringe on someone else's space by heading toward someone who is stationary...
When one can easily avoid this infringement by choosing a route / path that avoids others RESPECTFULLY.

To me... there is something wrong with a decision to head "toward" someone else...
AND IMO is nothing short of an "inconsiderate of others" move.

My view from the sand dune.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
There is no "set limit", as each situation will be different. If the people start watching you suspiciously, back off. If they watch you entertainingly, play it by ear. If they approach you with interest, again, play it by ear. Just know that for some people, 10' may not seem like that close a distance. For others, 100' may be too close.

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the beaches I hunt I was about chest deep only 15 feet from shore as I turned around to start swinging I got hit with a gray cloud in my eyes mouth and nose and realized not 25 feet away a few people were dumping there loved ones ashes they looked at me and never said a word just left

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't think of it in feet. Think of it in social boundaries.
If you walk into a public restroom and there are 10 urinals, and just one is being used. Do you saddle up close to the guy using it, or keep your distance? Personal space dictates you move away. Where as if 9 of them were being used, you have no choice to use the last one, and no one thinks your creepy about it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread