My hunting buddy is I, the idiot.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
-Or, Why yes dear, you did marry an idiot...

-Or, hey, what was that bump when I was backing up?

So, I grabbed my grandson this morning to hit the Gulf Beaches (St. Pete FL) post TS Colin.

I figured I'd see what got stirred up and moved around, but only had a couple of hours.

I'm doing my beep and dig in the shallow surf. The sand is really soft and dynamic. Nothing heavy is going to be up in the surface sand.
I'll have to wait for low tide and hit the sand bar a little further out. But for now, a nice quick stop at the beach.

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 1.07.33 PM.png

Breaking down my gear, I'm loading up my stuff while flapping my gator with the grandson.

As I back out of the parking spot I feel a dreaded, thump... Ohhh I just ran over something.... this can't be good.... ohhhhh noooooo

I get out of the truck and discover I'd set my Grey Ghost headphones on the back tire while loading up everything else.

Ever wonder what's inside the ear cup?

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 1.07.50 PM.png

You'd think that for $165 there would be some gold wires or silver plated something or another in there.

The ear cup is split. The headband is split, but it looks repairable, unlike my dignity and having to answer the questions when I got home.

Yes dear, you married an idiot. No dear, I didn't remember I put them on the tire. Yes dear, I know they are expensive. Yes dear, I'm sorry dear- can I have the checkbook now?

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could be worse - over the years have had friends that in a rush have driven over their machines - drove over scoop and got a flat
forgot their machines on bench and came back minutes later and was gone - had machine on roof and drove off and miles down the road when up to speed - machine flew of and smashed or got run over -- been at this hobby so long - have seen and heard a lot ...experienced a lot :tongue3:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duck tape........the working mans repair lol. You want to play you got to pay....... big boys toys arent cheap. Try some 3600 lbs epoxy and they will be fine....... like timex they take a licking and keep on ticken.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well at least you have a sense of humor about it... but it does suck!!!!

Many years ago (40) I was getting ready for the Michigan outdoor PAA archery state championship. Had to shoot from 20 yds. and every 5 yds. back out to 65 yds. Takes quite awhile to get all the settings perfect on the bow sight. My buddy helped and spotted for me all week after work getting the bow and the setting further refined for the Championship. Saturday morning came and I had to only drive about 80 miles to the event. So I decided to fire off a few shots before cleaning up and leaving. I shot about 20 arrows then went inside. I came out, picked up hard shell case and put into back seat. I then started car and backed up about 3-4 ft. and I "heard" something...? I knew INSTANTLY what it was.... Before I even got out of car I was giving myself the coveted award of "IDIOT OF THE YEAR"! Then it went to MORON of the year quickly!!!! The bow was alright but the extended sight and scope were bent and no time for repairs. I took the bow and threw it into the St. Joseph river about 15 yds. away. See what I mean about moron of the year?

Later that day and after a few beers I spent about 45 minutes diving down in about 7-8 ft. of water before I rescued it. Back to idiot again.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The best part, is your fail ends with, "honey, can I have the checkbook?"
That's how I roll too.... That's how a lot of us roll...
Thanks to our understanding and loving wives, who control our habits, obsessions, and even our self-induced cluster §'s

All of my detecting gear (listed on the left, most of it anyhow) doesn't come near a few years worth of nails, hair color, perms, more shoes and shiny baubles to put on a shelf to never again be touched...

And she keeps most of my jewelry finds- so the checkbook is a really reasonable request to insure her continued enjoyment of:

A: an occasional free ring/bracelet

B: my absence and a quiet house

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'll hunt behind you. I could completely outfit myself with your cast-off gear!:laughing7: Maybe think about taking a personal valet with you to keep track of all your stuff?? :dontknow:

Are you that detectorist that is following me ?

Hmmm...

Do you have a cheap Batman costume and a bright orange huge wig ?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well at least you have a sense of humor about it... but it does suck!!!!

Many years ago (40) I was getting ready for the Michigan outdoor PAA archery state championship. Had to shoot from 20 yds. and every 5 yds. back out to 65 yds. Takes quite awhile to get all the settings perfect on the bow sight. My buddy helped and spotted for me all week after work getting the bow and the setting further refined for the Championship. Saturday morning came and I had to only drive about 80 miles to the event. So I decided to fire off a few shots before cleaning up and leaving. I shot about 20 arrows then went inside. I came out, picked up hard shell case and put into back seat. I then started car and backed up about 3-4 ft. and I "heard" something...? I knew INSTANTLY what it was.... Before I even got out of car I was giving myself the coveted award of "IDIOT OF THE YEAR"! Then it went to MORON of the year quickly!!!! The bow was alright but the extended sight and scope were bent and no time for repairs. I took the bow and threw it into the St. Joseph river about 15 yds. away. See what I mean about moron of the year?

Later that day and after a few beers I spent about 45 minutes diving down in about 7-8 ft. of water before I rescued it. Back to idiot again.

Limitool, this thread is about running over Metal Detectors, NOT other things, like a bow, or maybe running over a pickup with a tractor. ....OOOPS! Anyway, you were NOTY supposed to get off-topic like that! :laughing7:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Limitool; Aren't you glad it was not a ;loaded crossbow with a hair trigger. !!! :icon_scratch: :laughing7: No I didn't. PEACE:RONB

captaindoug

May 1, 2011
a few years ago i left my sand shark and my sunspot scoop leaning against the fence at Venice beach, made it to wauchula, drove an hour back and there it was, all still leaning against the fence. I thanked the whole world and God.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
a few years ago i left my sand shark and my sunspot scoop leaning against the fence at Venice beach, made it to wauchula, drove an hour back and there it was, all still leaning against the fence. I thanked the whole world and God.

Did you buy a lotto ticket on the way home?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you that detectorist that is following me ?

Hmmm...

Do you have a cheap Batman costume and a bright orange huge wig ?
No, I'm more the Green Hornet type! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread