Fighting the river currents

N

nutso

I just got a Fisher 1280 x and will be detecting some local swimming holes and river locations. Got a wetsuit and snorkle so I can go when the water is cold too. My question is: does anyone have experience detecting in rivers where there is sometimes a strong current, and what do you use to battle the current. The water is low in the summer but springtime thaw makes for fast moving water. One location is swift all year round but has rope swings where people go in large numbers. I will be attaching my detector to me with a rope or something, don't want to lose that.

Upvote 0

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
I wouldn't tie anything to me when only holding my breath underwater. If the object
you are trying to prevent from being swept away with the current gets fouled in anything
guess what, you are tied to it and that is where your dead body will be found. Use common
sense when working in swift moving water.

Dinkydick

OP
OP
N

nutso

I plan on using some kind of quick disconecct or something thin and easily broken if I get tangled.

C

cachenut

Swift currents will make it very hard to detect. If you do find something it will be swept way fast.

Tieing yourself to something seems to be asking to die. Water can easily knock you off you feet and keep you there till you drown. It is not safe.

Find a better place.

Another approach would be tieing a BIG rock to your foot and throwing it in. You get the picture, right?

OP
OP
N

nutso

Maybe I should have gone into more detail. It's not enough to knock me off my feet, it's not white water. A steadily moving current that will make it harder to stay in one place without fins. A realitively clear water where people swim and jump off bridges in the deaper areas(13 feet). Some sandy beaches with shallow water areas. Some areas of very slow moving water but still moving. I don't have a death wish and know my limitations, just looking for others who may have detected areas like these.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy some dive equipment and take a buddy for security. With weight belts attached and fins you'll be able to stay in the current, and work the bottem. If anything happens, you have your buddy to help. Get certified at a local shop so you have the basics down, and can buy air for your tanks.

C

cachenut

Currents will make it hard to stay in one place. I walk thru streams lakes etc as far as I can go and then thats it. I have to stand upright. When you start digging it will make the water so dirty you won't be able to see. I go as far as I can detecting standing upright.

Why don't you try to see what works.

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
I'd wait for the summer time, the winter offers many hazards logs trees and debris floating from up stream even dead livestock,also a wet suit will not keep you warm in freezing water i think you need a dry suit for that venture,good luck.

Mark

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I think I'd want experienced people around me if I were diving in current. I wade in fast water, up to the knees. A little shuffle with a scoop or rake can dislodge coins and other objects and make them more visible. Cloudiness clears quickly in flowing water. But diving in fast water is something I wouldn't try without learning a little by diving a lot in slower water first. As others indicate, too many variables to bet your life on the prospect of some coinage. Fast water, especially deep fast water is proven killer.

OP
OP
N

nutso

I'll do the lake beaches first I guess. Then move to slow moving water swim holes. I have waded all these streams while fishing, sometimes right up to the top of my chest waders. Been doing that for 20 years without a mishap. So I'll bring my detector and my fishpole next time. Thanks for the input everyone.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have certification in advanced diving, and have dove rivers (slow and fast), lakes (inc. Lake Michigan) have done night dives, deep dives, etc. I have 100s of hrs of logged dive time in various conditions with 2 certs., and I can tell you that you don't want to mess with a "river current" unless you're experienced with them, have the equipment, and have at least 1 dive buddy with you at all times (preferably more).

There are deep holes in a lot of rivers, submerged log/tree jams waiting to entangle you, pylons from long ago, weed beds, rocks, tons of fishing line, junk thrown in the rivers from long ago, and more (not to mention) when people are not experienced with the fast moving waters, and something goes a foul, they tend to "panic" and try to fight against the current causing them to drown. There are various situations that can arise from any number of these things (inc. being tangled, cut, forced up against something and being held there by the current, and a million other things that can go wrong).

If you want get serious about hunting in rivers (get certified in diving and take advanced classes that teach you to deal with those types of experiences) otherewise, "you're playing with and risking your life over a bunch of worthless junk"..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread