CZ21 Coil Protection Question

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember this was discussed sometime in the past but was hoping there may be some new ideas out there. OK fellow water hunters, I'm using a CZ21 with an 8 inch coil. I've always put a coil cover on my new detectors before I even use them the first time. As usual I put one on my CZ21 when I got it and within a year I actually wore a hole through the coil cover. When I went to replace the cover it literally took me hours to get the old one off without damaging my coil. I had to cut it off in little pieces. I decided I would not put one back on but I'm afraid I'm going to wear a hole through my actual coil. Has anyone found a solution for coating the bottom of the coil that works well, doesn't peal away, is strong yet durable and doesn't in some way damage the coil? I remember someone said "marine epoxy" but I think I remember some negative comments about using epoxy. I rarely hunt in salt water and primary hunt a swimming area at a local lake which has a sandy bottom. I love my CZ21 and am trying to be proactive and protect it before further damage occurs. I'm disabled and try to spend a lot of time in the water for therapy. I don't know how I'd make it without it lol. So, if anyone has found a great solution I would greatly appreciate hearing about it. I have a new coil cover but can't bring myself to go that route again. Besides, sand gets between the cover and coil anyway and I would think could compromise performance. Thanks in advance for your help.

Upvote 0

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I dont use one and dont think I need it for my kind of hunting. If you are hunting in sand I dont think you really need it. I would not glue the bottom if you plan to resale.

Why not just get another cover? You should be taking it off every time you hunt to clean it so it shouldnt be stuck on.

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Loctite marine epoxy works great. It takes 2 tubes for a 10" coil. Squeeze 1 tube at a time in a plastic lid of some sort and apply with a small cheap paint brush after masking. You'll love it. Been using it for years. It's white and I get mine at Home Depot.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sand - dry or wet is abrasive - believe me - ive worn thru a few coil covers - and if you hunt down in carrib. or fla. waters
you have micro coral in it which is 10x more abrasive
you do not want to wear thru your actual coil - have seen old timers do it cause they did not want to replace the old ones and they paid for it $$$

I dont use one and dont think I need it for my kind of hunting. If you are hunting in sand I dont think you really need it. I would not glue the bottom if you plan to resale.

Why not just get another cover? You should be taking it off every time you hunt to clean it so it shouldnt be stuck on.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
funny you should mention - I was on my old puter - which I had not been on in yrs - and saw a pic I took with remains of my old coil cover
like you had to break off in about 20 pieces - but rather have it tight than loose --I was hunting a fresh water spot with a friend and even though we were making finds
I told him - "someones been here.." and he said "how do you know?" even though I could see scoop marks cause I wear a mask - I also was able to see coil cover on the bottom and picked it up and showed him - have found others over the yrs too

I remember this was discussed sometime in the past but was hoping there may be some new ideas out there. OK fellow water hunters, I'm using a CZ21 with an 8 inch coil. I've always put a coil cover on my new detectors before I even use them the first time. As usual I put one on my CZ21 when I got it and within a year I actually wore a hole through the coil cover. When I went to replace the cover it literally took me hours to get the old one off without damaging my coil. I had to cut it off in little pieces. I decided I would not put one back on but I'm afraid I'm going to wear a hole through my actual coil. Has anyone found a solution for coating the bottom of the coil that works well, doesn't peal away, is strong yet durable and doesn't in some way damage the coil? I remember someone said "marine epoxy" but I think I remember some negative comments about using epoxy. I rarely hunt in salt water and primary hunt a swimming area at a local lake which has a sandy bottom. I love my CZ21 and am trying to be proactive and protect it before further damage occurs. I'm disabled and try to spend a lot of time in the water for therapy. I don't know how I'd make it without it lol. So, if anyone has found a great solution I would greatly appreciate hearing about it. I have a new coil cover but can't bring myself to go that route again. Besides, sand gets between the cover and coil anyway and I would think could compromise performance. Thanks in advance for your help.

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just use a flat wide long object and a hammer. Sometimes wood, sometime metal. Needs to be big enough not to dent the edges.
Then slowing start taping it on the top edge on the outside and inside all the way around. I leave the lower rod in and hold on to the rod. I can get my off with no problem. You might want to try sanding your coil cover to give it some relieve. Be careful this could allow more sand to get in there. They are on tight, lot harder to remove than the excal cover. The excal cover is a little to loose in my opinion. But it protects the coil, but allows a lot of sand to enter in between.

Note: I have use rustoleum bedliner paint on my coil. This is really good stuff. Drys harder than others. However, shell, sand, and rocks can wear holes in hard plastic coil covers. So you will have to reapply.

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loctite marine epoxy works great. It takes 2 tubes for a 10" coil. Squeeze 1 tube at a time in a plastic lid of some sort and apply with a small cheap paint brush after masking. You'll love it. Been using it for years. It's white and I get mine at Home Depot.

How long does this last for you? How often do you hunt and inn what conditions; sand, rocks, etc.?
I just got my CZ and bought some of marine epoxy. I'll be trying it out soon.

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plasti-Dip......put on several coats. It ends up being a tough rubber shield. Mine has lasted for years and i hunt over reef and rocks.

OP
OP
Sleepy

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also mean't to ask how much of the coil do you cover? Zig Zag you mentioned "masking" the coil, obviously I will coat the bottom good, but do you paint the sides all the way to the top of the coil and stop there? I assume you don't cover the top of the coil do you?

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
I wouldnt try the glue unless you are never going to sell the machine. Plasti dip would be a much better option because it can be peeled off. But if you really want to cover the coil just get a coil cover, they are under $20.

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
How long does this last for you? How often do you hunt and inn what conditions; sand, rocks, etc.?
I just got my CZ and bought some of marine epoxy. I'll be trying it out soon.

i've had it on one excal for about 5 years and have never touched it up. It will chip a little if you hit rocks a lot but it's been no problem for me. I hunt about 6 days a week all year long in all conditions. I cover the coil about half way up the side and of course the bottom. For me, it's the only way to do it. Let us know how you like it Top

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I also mean't to ask how much of the coil do you cover? Zig Zag you mentioned "masking" the coil, obviously I will coat the bottom good, but do you paint the sides all the way to the top of the coil and stop there? I assume you don't cover the top of the coil do you?
Oops, sorry I missed your question Sleepy But the answer is in the above post. Good luck and let us know how you like it. Ed

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
I will swear by GeoCel 2310, a roofing product, until the day I pass. It comes in clear and is paintable. Used it on my CZ20, and after the conversion, now have it on my 21. Never an issue. Paint the bottom and around the bottom's edges. Must let dry for a good 24 hrs. Available on line. A quart will last a lifetime.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plasti-Dip......put on several coats. It ends up being a tough rubber shield. Mine has lasted for years and i hunt over reef and rocks.

Yes plastidip . As an added bonus it in fluorescent colors very bright and if can be peeled off.
Should you go that way get the gallon can not the aerosol spray. So far I'm very pleased with the plastidip coatining .Thanks to hookahforgold for the idea.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sleepy

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I never plan on selling my CZ21 so I'm going to decide between the marine epoxy and the plasti dip most likely. I have another brand new coil cover but I just can't bring myself to put it on after the battle of taking the last one off. Once again, thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Yes plastidip . As an added bonus it in fluorescent colors very bright and if can be peeled off.

I might do this just to have a cool coil color...I am stuck in the 80s radical colors and styles forever lol :headbang:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
I actually have coil covers on my CZ-s and other machines for a reason. Inside the bottom of all of them I have my name and phone number engraved. If one of them gets stolen and has to go in for repairs. I am hoping First Texas will realize the machine is mine.

Feb 25, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually have coil covers on my CZ-s and other machines for a reason. Inside the bottom of all of them I have my name and phone number engraved. If one of them gets stolen and has to go in for repairs. I am hoping First Texas will realize the machine is mine.

Doesn't registering the serial number work just as well for that?

Feb 25, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i've had it on one excal for about 5 years and have never touched it up. It will chip a little if you hit rocks a lot but it's been no problem for me. I hunt about 6 days a week all year long in all conditions. I cover the coil about half way up the side and of course the bottom. For me, it's the only way to do it. Let us know how you like it Top

It'll likely be late August before I really get to try it out. But I'll save this thread and comment on my experiences. I bought enough to do both the BH SSII and the CZ-21. No, I don't plan to ever sell either one. But if I did I would explain the reason and the buyer can then decide.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The coil is a coil of wire covered with epoxy, so adding epoxy is adding the same material it's made of. Personally I don't use a coil cover, because I am always searching sandy bottom and a cover is more of a hassle. The sand does slowly wear on the coil but so far all I have is a lightly sanded appearance. When it starts to visibly show a low spot (which it hasn't yet) I'll make a dam of masking tape around it and re-pour fresh epoxy. I stopped using a coil on my AT pro long ago, have not worn through that coil yet either. Again, I'm hunting sand or grass, not rocky ground or reefy bottoms.

If I were hunting around rocks I'd definitely be using a cover, because epoxy (the coil) can crack if hit hard enough.

For those worrying about appearance for re-sale value, re-pouring fresh epoxy takes care of that also.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread