May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am at Chincoteague Island VA this week where my family owns a home. It is illegal to detect on Assateague island and they can confiscate your detector if you are caught along with a fine...but is it illegal to detect in the water? At what point does the metal detecting restriction end? Water line? 100ft out? Anyone know for sure? I will ask a park ranger but I am not sure they will know and will probably just say no.

Upvote 0

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
I wouldn't use my best machine.

I am at Chincoteague Island VA this week where my family owns a home. It is illegal to detect on Assateague island and they can confiscate your detector if you are caught along with a fine...but is it illegal to detect in the water? At what point does the metal detecting restriction end? Water line? 100ft out? Anyone know for sure? I will ask a park ranger but I am not sure they will know and will probably just say no.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
National Parks are tabo stay away .in or out of the water keep out don't even think about it.$100,000 find 6 month in jail they will take your car or boat what ever you have with you. 4 men learned that the hard way in 1988, they lost their motor home ,jeep all their detectors .They got fined spent time in jail and while they were in jail . search warrent was served on their home and all the Relic they ever found war taken. So go for it if you dare,not me.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
back when i first started i didnt know about this and got busted. best to stay away.

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have detected at the state park beach at Asseteague for the past 7 years while on vacation. I have had no problems and have found some nice things

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to Ocean City, more tourists, more gold, no hassles. It isn't far.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have detected at the state park beach at Asseteague for the past 7 years while on vacation. I have had no problems and have found some nice things
State Parks are not the same as a National Parks . National Park
are Fed. parks like Yellow Stone or everglade national Park.

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:

you cannot detect the state part from mem-labor day, otherwise its open. But thats also 1hr away from me...so if I were going there I would probably just go to ocmd

I am trying to find out where the park juristiction ends...is it in the water? or how far out?

Last edited:

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

IANAL - so this advice is worth exactly what you paid. But this may help in your search. My guess is that the boundary is half-mile out from the high tide line. But you can look at the map and read the founding Act.

https://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisit/upload/parkmap.pdf

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/89/s20/text

Good luck. Enjoy the ponies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread