My 1st official detecting YouTube video.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 11" should be your best coil. I bought my CTX used but it still had warranty left. Its gps wouldn't lock and the detection was not as good as my surf pi or spectrum xlt (at a nearby park) - so I sent it in to ML. It came back fixed and as good or better than the other 2 now. I bought used 6" and 17" coils later. The 17" was not as deep as the 11" so I sent it in. Got a new one back - it is about the same depth as the 11". So I get more coverage per sweep but targeting takes more effort than the 11". The 11" has all the depth I could want so it is my main coil.
Are you planning to hit Salt Creek again specifically or perhaps try another beach nearby? I typically hunt the beaches north of it but just because parking is onsite and a restroom near. I think I remember you saying you take chances with the waves so you might do well at Aliso as the best targets are out there with the waves. The lifeguards will likely ask you to back out because it is tretcherous. Sometimes you can sneak out inbetween wave sets and hear the heavy targets. Laguna main beach and north are much nicer and calmer with less slope. Corona del Mar you can park up above for free and walk down. Lots of guys hunt there and continue to find stuff even so. Of course it probably gets the biggest crowds too.
I think once your 11" is working you'll like the CTX best as it has the depth and discrimination when you want it.

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The beaches I hunt are more south. Like Coronado to La Jolla Shores but I often trek North to Laguna and such... I won't get into the water at Aliso or most beaches from Carlsbad north. It's super rough.. I've often watched people (usually older tourists) go out into the surf and get POUNDED until they can barely walk back in. There most certainly are awesome finds out there. Unfortunately it's just to dang hard to get in to....
As for Salt Creek it kind of sucks because you can't night hunt there. There is ZERO parking until 5am and that parking is a pay lot. I tried looking all around that area to park and walk but unless you hike a mile out, it's just not worth it.
If you ever wanna meet up sometime (preferably a night hunt on Sun Mon or Tues ) let me know.
I put the 11 on the CTX this morning and will be trying it out pretty soon again.. As of late, I've been using my Excal more than the CTX.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be fun - never tried at night...

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Night hunts are way nicer. No distractions as long as you don't let your mind play games with you. Keep your head on a swivel. You can go super slow and really hear those deep signals. Plus nI hot sun...that's good for the skin. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread