Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't posted many finds lately, in fact I haven't posted here in years [had a dustup with a mod years back and was temp banned].
Started posting at great lakes metal detecting, recently went belly up so here I am.

Anyways hit a beach with a huge area, would literally take weeks to properly detect ,,, People can go out 100 yards or more and at least that wide so I didn't try any grid patterns, just pot luck.
That water I usually hit here in MI barely has a ripple on the surface, this lake had actually waves that were like swells to me, that caused alot of falsing with my AT Pro, also made targets harder to retrieve since the water is murky and very much in motion.
My method is to pinpoint best as I can, then ride my scoop down the detectors shaft until I figure I am just behind where it is at, then take as big a scoop as possible. I really should have brought my floating sand sifter that I posted about last week, that would have helped greatly. Found 3 silvers and a gold in the water, stainless I found in the sand. Was pretty crowded on the sand so I didn't detect much there, I have found silver quarters and dimes there in the past so I'm going to have to hit it hard, maybe during a weekday if I can.

Came close to giving up on the gold, I thought maybe it was a stud that was falling through the scoop. I knew it wasn't deep but I fought with it until I was cursing, probably spent about 20 minutes but of course it was well worth it once it came out. 14k marked, my diamond tester is MIA somewhere in my room so not sure about the stone.

They built some new stone causeway that goes out into the lake [haven't been to this place in a couple of years], so I went detecting by that. Substrate there is pure much and clay, probably refuse leftover from building it. Found a clad quarter, I had to reach in the scoop and break up the clay b hand to get it. So I started heading out of that area but got another good signal, after another 15 minutes got a silver ring. Wasted alot of time on pennies as well, but I didn't want to risk passing up any good signal in the water - Why people take change out in the water swimming I'll never know.
Was surprised they let dogs in there [state park], many people had their dogs so I'm going to take my boy out there next time, he loves to swim, not sure how much detecting I can get in with him though unless I take someone else with me to keep an eye on him.

All and all an enjoyable day, probably about 3 hours of effort. I saw another beach close by on google maps, looked very promising but it was one of those private subdivision beaches so they turned me away, I have the feeling that place it literally a gold mine but doesn't look like theres a way to get in unless I get to know a member there, or possibly after labor day [its surrounded by a barbed wire fence].

Attachments

• IMG_1522.JPG
    IMG_1522.JPG
    504 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 0

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Good job plucking those up!

Looks like they might fit every finger on one hand too!

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What a great hunt. Congrats

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job on the rings!...and welcome back to Tnet!

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Safe to say I will hit this beach again, I doubt if I properly scanned 1/100th of the water. Would be tough to grid, the only things to guide by are some distant buoys at the rope line and I didn't even get close to those. Lots of friendly, smiling hotties there too, I think I'll check craigslist missed connections and see if any babes are inquiring about the hot detector guy ! I was so zoned in finding rings, plus the headphones, that I didn't make much of an effort to socialize, rare for me.

I'm gonna zip tie my coil cord better to the shaft, may help to reduce wave induced falsing, though I think most of them were caused by the coil impacting the sand - I now have a very slight idea what you salt water guys routinely go through. Also going to bring my floating sifter, scenarios like this is the exact reason I made it, then I can quickly dump a scoop in the sifter and rescan the target, and repeat until recovered saving lots of time.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very nice rings. Congrats on a nice place to hunt. Now STAY OUT OF MY WATER!!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Safe to say I will hit this beach again, I doubt if I properly scanned 1/100th of the water. Would be tough to grid, the only things to guide by are some distant buoys at the rope line and I didn't even get close to those. Lots of friendly, smiling hotties there too, I think I'll check craigslist missed connections and see if any babes are inquiring about the hot detector guy ! I was so zoned in finding rings, plus the headphones, that I didn't make much of an effort to socialize, rare for me.

I'm gonna zip tie my coil cord better to the shaft, may help to reduce wave induced falsing, though I think most of them were caused by the coil impacting the sand - I now have a very slight idea what you salt water guys routinely go through. Also going to bring my floating sifter, scenarios like this is the exact reason I made it, then I can quickly dump a scoop in the sifter and rescan the target, and repeat until recovered saving lots of time.

Great hunt!

When traffic lets up (after labor day perhaps?) Tethered to weights plastic bottles , made up similar to markers used in fishing ,might help grid better.
Too bad about the great lakes group folding. Not many here in Michigan as it is.

sturrat

Mar 30, 2012
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where abouts in Michigan you from? I am over on the west side of the state.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in the Detroit area.
Was told by another poster here via pm that greatlakes forum is still up, URL has changed. Out of courtesy I won't post the new URL but can no doubt be found with a little effort if so inclined.

Pretty sure I got lucky and huge holiday crowds helped as well too, so many people there when I went the main parking lot was full and had to park pretty far away and hike to the beach. this is a well known location and surely gets hit by others.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt!

When traffic lets up (after labor day perhaps?) Tethered to weights plastic bottles , made up similar to markers used in fishing ,might help grid better.
Too bad about the great lakes group folding. Not many here in Michigan as it is.
Yup, use plastic jugs tied to small sand bags with fishing line for markers.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in the Detroit area.
Was told by another poster here via pm that greatlakes forum is still up, URL has changed. Out of courtesy I won't post the new URL but can no doubt be found with a little effort if so inclined.

Pretty sure I got lucky and huge holiday crowds helped as well too, so many people there when I went the main parking lot was full and had to park pretty far away and hike to the beach. this is a well known location and surely gets hit by others.

Ooops I did not mean to get it wrong on G.L.M.D. being gone.
Their site was back up June 20th.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ooops I did not mean to get it wrong on G.L.M.D. being gone.
Their site was back up June 20th.

I was the one who had it wrong.
For months there was a countdown clock on the main page to when the forum would fold, seems the admin was frustrated for various reasons and decided to call it quits. I like the site and offered to take it over if possible, and requested that the countdown clock be taken down ... Who wants to post at a forum that you know in advance is going to fold in months ?
He obliged and took down the clock, and said he still wasn't sure if the forum would go on.

So it came as no surprise to me when I clicked on the usual main page shortcut that I have used for years and it led to a generic computer fixing page that the admin apparently owns. I figured it folded, but for whatever reason the URL simply changed. It is still active, and I presume the same set of uncertain factors are still at play.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread