Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How long does it take for gold to get out of detection range in the soupy sand or out in water at low tide?

Actually what I am getting at is what kind of chance do you have hitting the trough area if gold

sinks out of range quickly. I suppose we might also say the beach is pretty much sanded in. Is there

a GOOD reason to hunt the trough, or would most be out of detection range fairly quickly? I have

heard lots of people do good out waste deep, and find gold. How would this gold be detectable if it sinks

so quickly with no bottom to stop it? Just learning,, appreciate any thoughts and or answers.

Thanks!!

HH

Dennis

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just depends how deep the hard clay is. Sometimes it is covered with feet of sand, sometimes it is covered by a few inches. You have to know your currents and tides, and you have to have big wave and wind action to move overburden sand back out to sea. :skullflag:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is definitely the place to learn. This time of year on Md and NJ beaches you are looking for the fresh drops. If the sand is super soft and ripply its harder to work with the excal. Flat and hard packed gives the detector an easier time penetrating. Most people hit the troughs from studying the literature on using the excal (Andy Sabish's book). I assume the bulk of water detectorists hit the same sort of spot either the up or down side with the theory targets are drawn into the trough. There are also the riptides going out to sea that move overburden for you but you could quickly find yourself in over your head and dead if you are not familiar with your beach. When I see other hunters working a lane I adjust my course inshore or out so we are not working the same lane. Then its about how much time you need to spend on each target. For me personally targets in deeper water are going to be more difficult to stay on top of and retrieving targets out of breaking surf they can easily be swept free. Depending on conditons it can be too frustrating to work the breaking surf and you either move to where you can work or wait for the tide to move for you. After a few zigzags into and out of the water it should become apparent what level or grade or type of sand is holding targets. This time of year there should be plenty of fresh coins in the first few inches. If they are deeper or you find light aluminum can slaw and tabs the sand is too soft. In the end its all about luck. I've seen someone find a great gold ring right beside the boardwalk after I worked the surf for hours for nothing. Once you get to an area with good sounding targets work it slow and go in and out. I've found two rings within feet of each other like that. My excal is going in for repair. I am super bummed:unhappysmiley:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on the surf, tide movement, bottom composition and other factors...there is no set rule and every beach is different...even the same beach changes daily...trough is a good starting point but not always the best spot...when Im water hunting, I look for areas with harder bottom...I slow down in these areas and go fast in between them...I zig zag from deep to shallow, looking for a target line to focus on...like Tommybuckets said, in the end its a lot of luck...good luck out there.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have found gold rings in muck that have not sunk to the hardpan. Totally depends on the weight of the ring and the movement of the water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread