The importance of cleaniing the coil cover

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday was my 9th water hunt. Over the last few hunts my Excal was giving me fits beyond the fading battery charge....

I'd read many times to take the cover off and clean it and the coil due to accumulation of sand AND black sand as well.

My cover was cable tied tight, so there's no way junk could creep inside it, right?

As Indian Steve and I were taking our detectors out of the van, he and I were talking about my issues. So, I decided to pull off the cover, had to carefully cut the cable ties off - and VOILA! Loaded with sand and black sand - and I thought it was too tight for that and I was wrong. I put that baby in the water with clear clean sounds for a change, no repeated falsing. I had a good and solid hunt.

I won't be hunting again without having removed and cleaned the coil cover each hunt.

Meanwhile, Steve had a pretty tough hunt, scooped 32 bobby pins, and had very erratic performance.

Steve e-mailed me last night and said he'd removed his coil cover and his too was loaded with black sand.

Moral of the story, whether land or sea, remove that coil cover periodically and clean it out. That is a maintenance issue many of us tend to ignore.

I'm now a believer - I have seen the light and I'm no longer hard headed (about that anyway!)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Wish this cpuld have been posted about 30 years ago...

Yep! I've never pulled the coil cover off my Fisher 1260X either in now 33 years! So, it and the CTX will get some attention today

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep ! not even Glue can be trusted to keep it all out.
if any bit of moisture has the chance of squeezing in, that moisture has the ability to carry
something with it. & after time , even microscopic black sand can
stick to and/or build up
enough to cause issues.

Last edited:

mham2

Jan 12, 2009
massillon,ohio/bradenton florida
Detector(s) used
minelab/excalibur 11, minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I sealed my coil cover at the edge between the cover and the coil six years ago and have not had to touch it since.marine appoxy locktite Home Depot

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Throw the cover away, tape off the cable and ears, spray coil with white flex seal - problem solved and better visability. That's what I did with the AT. 3 light coats and 3 years later it's still holding up great.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very good advice

And Washing down, lubing the cables, and under the knobs with silicon spray.

As the rubber tear drop washers wear down on the lower shaft do not over tighten the coil bolt,

this puts stress on the underside of the coil and pulls the main body away from filling...

I Never use a coil cover until the coil looks like it's on it's last leg...

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday was my 9th water hunt. Over the last few hunts my Excal was giving me fits beyond the fading battery charge....

I'd read many times to take the cover off and clean it and the coil due to accumulation of sand AND black sand as well.

My cover was cable tied tight, so there's no way junk could creep inside it, right?

As Indian Steve and I were taking our detectors out of the van, he and I were talking about my issues. So, I decided to pull off the cover, had to carefully cut the cable ties off - and VOILA! Loaded with sand and black sand - and I thought it was too tight for that and I was wrong. I put that baby in the water with clear clean sounds for a change, no repeated falsing. I had a good and solid hunt.

I won't be hunting again without having removed and cleaned the coil cover each hunt.

Meanwhile, Steve had a pretty tough hunt, scooped 32 bobby pins, and had very erratic performance.

Steve e-mailed me last night and said he'd removed his coil cover and his too was loaded with black sand.

Moral of the story, whether land or sea, remove that coil cover periodically and clean it out. That is a maintenance issue many of us tend to ignore.

I'm now a believer - I have seen the light and I'm no longer hard headed (about that anyway!)

This is one thing I have been doing after EVERY trip. On the xcal2 it is very very easy to come off. CTX 3030 not quite as easy as xcal2 but easy enough..
Learnt this from a guy in HHI and have done it every trip,,,just seconds to do.....:thumbsup::thumbsup:
You know I wonder sometimes if there is a bobby pin salter out there? :BangHead:

Great advice DeepseekerADS !!!!!!

Last edited:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good advice

And Washing down, lubing the cables, and under the knobs with silicon spray.

As the rubber tear drop washers wear down on the lower shaft do not over tighten the coil bolt,

this puts stress on the underside of the coil and pulls the main body away from filling...

I Never use a coil cover until the coil looks like it's on it's last leg...

I have always wondered if anyone thought of NOT using the skid plate....better signal strength maybe? I have always been a bit chicken
to try this method, thinking I might ruin my main coil, especially if skipping off the sand a bit... Thanks!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I ran it yesterday without the skid plate. I still haven't re-installed it. Maybe on these mountain lake sandy waters I'll go without it, though I am concerned about wear from hitting rocks and the like.

That's caution = after all, replacing the coil is not just swapping it out - it's surgery.

bluediamounds 55

Feb 2, 2012
tx.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excalibur 11 dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use a coil cover mine came off in the water one day that's been about four years ago no problems yet

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned this the hard way when my coil went crazy and made all kinds of noise. We get into such a hurry to detect especially if we have just a limited time to pursue our hobby, we take short cuts and it cuts down on our finds.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I learned this the hard way when my coil went crazy and made all kinds of noise. We get into such a hurry to detect especially if we have just a limited time to pursue our hobby, we take short cuts and it cuts down on our finds.

You're right, that pretty well sums it up. I've personally got to get better in this respect. Where I dream of getting out here and there, I could easily be doing the maintenance which really is necessary while my brain is dreaming. To sum that up = I've got to stop being lazy!

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to clean mine befor next use.

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've read the Excal's coil cover must come off easily. I recently made a post about looking for alternatives instead of using a coil cover due to the difficulty of getting the cover off. I have a CZ 21 and recently got another one and didn't want to affect the warranty by putting epoxy or anything on coil so I put a coil cover on it anyway. But i eventually wore a hole through the coil cover on my old CZ 21 and it took me several hours to get the coil cover off and it came off in little pieces. I wish I could remove my cover because you're right. That coil cover was on so tight I would not have thought an ameba could squeeze between the coil and coil cover but it had a good bit of sand in it.

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use one or more velcro ties to keep the cover on. They allow for easy cover removal, and cleaning.

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sealed my coil cover at the edge between the cover and the coil six years ago and have not had to touch it since.marine appoxy locktite Home Depot

I just did the same to mine (CZ-21). It isn't pretty but it is very functional.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great idea,,,,but,,,,,what IF there is a tiny entry point that is so small that would not be seen by the eye. This would mean you may be detecting with a build-up of black sand
or what ever under the cover and not even know about it unless you could actually take it off and clean it, THEN, know for a FACT you do not have a problem. JMHO

HH

Dennis

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've read the Excal's coil cover must come off easily. I recently made a post about looking for alternatives instead of using a coil cover due to the difficulty of getting the cover off. I have a CZ 21 and recently got another one and didn't want to affect the warranty by putting epoxy or anything on coil so I put a coil cover on it anyway. But i eventually wore a hole through the coil cover on my old CZ 21 and it took me several hours to get the coil cover off and it came off in little pieces. I wish I could remove my cover because you're right. That coil cover was on so tight I would not have thought an ameba could squeeze between the coil and coil cover but it had a good bit of sand in it.

Have you tried placing that 1/2"w x 4"l flat cloth in multiple places on the coil, then tie it, with knot on top. Slip coil cover on. You know, like they use on battery compartments. Helps pop the batteries out. I haven't tried it I suspect it would work. The cloth is thin so I don't see that being a problem. Just need it to be long enough to grab both ends and pull on each section removing the coil equally. Just a thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread