TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi guys,

I wonder if you have any tips to share for dealing with the sun and heat while detecting. My own secret tip would probably be to get one of these water bladder backpacks, I have a Camelbak Mule and it's so much more convenient to stay hydrated when you don't have to keep grabbing a bottle or getting the backpack off. Granted it looks a bit stupid, but then again I'm walking along the beach sweeping a coil over the ground so :dontknow:

So what do you do against the heat? Light coloured, loose fitting clothes and a sombrero the size of a restaurant umbrella?

Upvote 0

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to metal detect in the water but only in the early morning or late evening. During the afternoon, the sun reflects off the water and burns my face. Planning to get one of those wrap around deals from Columbia vendor, but just haven't gotten around to it since I'm not detecting much in this terrible heat that has been around over a month now and no end in sight unless we get a hurricane or tropical storm to break this front.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in Louisiana and it's a wet, wet heat. My son asked me how do I do it? I told him he's got to go drink a can of Man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey!!! Don't talk about my mama like that......heck,,,a buzzard **** on a log and the SUN hatched me....

She always thought good of me,,,I was so bright she named me SUN !!!!

I think I am up a bit late.....need to go night night :icon_scratch::icon_scratch::tongue3:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Geez! And that's what happens to him BEFORE midnight! :laughing7:

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Sun hat and handkerchief! Gloves etc!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez! And that's what happens to him BEFORE midnight! :laughing7:

Ya,,,for sure,,,it is after the mid-night hour that the FUN really starts......:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pillow case on my head with holes cut out...

Wrapped in my bed sheet ... with large umbrella duct taped to my back...

works perfect. :P

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I worked outside all my life & can handle heat better than most people. I am retired & living in Fl., now. I start off every day with a glass, ot 2 , of water as soon as I get up. I drink a lot of water all day long. NEVER wait til you are thirsty to drink, in hot weather. I detect as early as possible , & start moving to shady areas once the temps get high. I have plenty of water with me & more in the car. I also have one of those " Cool Towels, " that help for a short while.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started detecting in 1975 - land hunted all over - but could not do cellar holes in summer due to poison ivy and bugs
hated doing schools parks and other land spots in the 90s degrees - so dabbled with floating a land machine and doin fresh water spots in the heat
then got a water machine in 1995 - used to land hunt 95% and water 5% --now its 95% water and 5% land

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if my Gf comes with me - she brings me water when need - I'm lucky

I worked outside all my life & can handle heat better than most people. I am retired & living in Fl., now. I start off every day with a glass, ot 2 , of water as soon as I get up. I drink a lot of water all day long. NEVER wait til you are thirsty to drink, in hot weather. I detect as early as possible , & start moving to shady areas once the temps get high. I have plenty of water with me & more in the car. I also have one of those " Cool Towels, " that help for a short while.

OP
OP
T

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I started detecting in 1975 - land hunted all over - but could not do cellar holes in summer due to poison ivy and bugs
hated doing schools parks and other land spots in the 90s degrees - so dabbled with floating a land machine and doin fresh water spots in the heat
then got a water machine in 1995 - used to land hunt 95% and water 5% --now its 95% water and 5% land

Water /sand is a lot easier to dig as well :)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Start hunting (land or sea) at 5:00 am and stop 9:00 am. In the early hours at the beach the "no see-ums" are out; a real distraction at times. :BangHead:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Water /sand is a lot easier to dig as well :)
I dunno. I can handle digging the sand, but trying to dig through the water is murder! It keeps filling up too fast for me to shovel!! :laughing7:

Just ribbin' ya' TS! :laughing9: :thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
how do I handle heat? poorly -- so I recommend the following ---go early in the morning ( near sun up) .hunt for a couple hours only .. avoid peak mid day hot hours ...use sun block ...drink a lots of fluids

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I am close to the equator, all of my hunts are timed to minimize my exposure to the sun, rather than by the tides.
I prefer to hit the beach, after most of the beach goers have left, this way I will be first there and do not have to worry about the sun.
I simply do not have the discipline to leave in time if I hunt before sun rise. If I have not left in time, I will head for the shade.

Be sure to protect your lips, they are the most sensitive, sunglasses to protect your eyes, long sleeved shirts, SPF 50, You cannot be too careful, as the damage done to your skin is cumaltive and you become more sensitive to the sun as you grow older.
Even driving your car without a shirt with the window down can do you in. Take care the best detecting equipment in the world, knowledge of the beaches, and experience will not do you any good, if you are not physically able to be on the beach.

For the heat, loose fitting clothes are best. Snack on salted sun flower or pumpkin seeds to replace salt lost from sweating or being in the water.

TrashureSeeker;5063059]Hi guys,

I wonder if you have any tips to share for dealing with the sun and heat while detecting. My own secret tip would probably be to get one of these water bladder backpacks, I have a Camelbak Mule and it's so much more convenient to stay hydrated when you don't have to keep grabbing a bottle or getting the backpack off. Granted it looks a bit stupid, but then again I'm walking along the beach sweeping a coil over the ground so :dontknow:

So what do you do against the heat? Light coloured, loose fitting clothes and a sombrero the size of a restaurant umbrella?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
As I am close to the equator, all of my hunts are timed to minimize my exposure to the sun, rather than by the tides.
I prefer to hit the beach, after most of the beach goers have left, this way I will be first there and do not have to worry about the sun.
I simply do not have the discipline to leave in time if I hunt before sun rise. If I have not left in time, I will head for the shade.

Be sure to protect your lips, they are the most sensitive, sunglasses to protect your eyes, long sleeved shirts, SPF 50, You cannot be too careful, as the damage done to your skin is cumaltive and you become more sensitive to the sun as you grow older.
Even driving your car without a shirt with the window down can do you in. Take care the best detecting equipment in the world, knowledge of the beaches, and experience will not do you any good, if you are not physically able to be on the beach.

For the heat, loose fitting clothes are best. Snack on salted sun flower or pumpkin seeds to replace salt lost from sweating or being in the water.

TrashureSeeker;5063059]Hi guys,

So what do you do against the heat? Light coloured, loose fitting clothes and a sombrero the size of a restaurant umbrella?
[/QUOTE]

Now that's a bunch of helpful tips, I will make sure to keep them in mind! Thanks a lot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread