Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch a lot of youtube and I see this a lot of this. you go to the beach ,you got a $700 MD , a $300 scoop , and a pin pointer . You find a target, you dig it up, it in the scoop, you dump it on the ground and bring out that little pin pointer or your fingers to find it. Now isn't that a little stupid? Why a pin pointer ? you have a scoop, use it ! you don't need a pin pointer on a beach. You waste to much time with a pin pointer. Pin pointer are made for Grass, not sand !!:icon_scratch::icon_scratch::tongue3:

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a kinda hidden beach here Indian Steve and I stumbled onto. Our first visit in the water, the whole bottom is covered in rocks. Using the scoop is pretty tough - those rocks. Last time I went there I took the Carrot and that worked pretty darned well, but I need to pick up some entry level dive gear. Both Steve and I pulled wheats out, which tells us this is a virgin spot. Tough place to hunt though, very tough, rocks the size of footballs. Danged frustrating trying to retrieve targets.

Otherwise, I don't take a pin pointer with me, no point in a sandy bottom. Steve covered the bottom of his Stealth with the 1/4" screen, harder to shake out the contents, but works for him so far. I'll probably be doing that as well.

Moral of the story, sometimes that pin pointer comes in handy, even in the water.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As pointed out, there is a time and place where using a pin pointer can help. Not on every target in the sand, but, in crack hunting, rocks, and shells, it can make for a faster recovery. This time of year, I hunt the beached mostly at night. If I get a scoopful of shells, sure, I can kick and spread all I want, but, you're still not going to see the target in all those shells (or cobble), especially in the dark, which I prefer over using a light. A pin pointer in this case zeros right in on the target and your on your way to the next target.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree unless you are a newbie to the beach Like I was.

first time at the beach, I wished I would have Brought My probe.
I was digging holes 3 Feet wide by a Foot deep & Still getting signals in the dry sand.

Was very Frustrating & Tiresome.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with you Ron.... I didn't bring my Propointer when I found this at the beach we hunted, Clam Pass in Naples...
Thanks so much for showing me this beach...
image.jpeg

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
We are boys and boys love toys! ... When I have my "yearly" housing keeping mission to do ... I always "gear" the family Vacuum v8 biturbo 3200w and forget the broom ....

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Alexandre...long time no see!

Yep ;-) nice to see you Dave :thumbsup: lot of work and passed some scuba & apnea exams...I'm getting old and I felt that it was the time to make some personal achievements ;-) metal detect is less demanding physically and there is no "age limit".

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I rarely use a pinpointer at the beach, mostly because I do my beach detecting wearing Speedo's [not the old school bikini style !] and sand slippers, and thats it ,,,, Generally no place to carry a pinpointer, I have been in situations when one would have came in handy, and later in the season when its cooler out and I am actually wearing pants, then I'll take one along just in case I need it - Don't see any reasons for anyone to make snappy, condescending judgements on such a trivial issue, why would anyone really care at all what someone else does/uses ?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy hunting my brother, sounds like you are well...looking forward to to adventures again as summer passes.... Stay safe my friend.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...Don't see any reasons for anyone to make snappy, condescending judgements on such a trivial issue, why would anyone really care at all what someone else does/uses ?

Does an "opinion" rise to the level of "snappy, condescending judgements?" :laughing7:

If folks want to skip down the beach in their undies swinging their $1,500.00 Minelab's like a golf club and pull out their nifty waterproof pinpointer just because - GOD BLESS THEM!

I would rather do it (in my opinion), the "right" way. :occasion14:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does an "opinion" rise to the level of "snappy, condescending judgements?" :laughing7:

If folks want to skip down the beach in their undies swinging their $1,500.00 Minelab's like a golf club and pull out their nifty waterproof pinpointer just because - GOD BLESS THEM!

OP said, in regards to using a pinpointer at the beach [and I quote]: "Now isn't that a little stupid?"

If that isn't snappy and condescending I don't know what is, and I fail to see why anyone would even care what method someone else uses much less start a thread about it. I already stated I rarely use a pinpointer at the beach, but there are occasions where it could come in handy [finding a little stud that keeps falling out of the scoop, for one, finding things in wet clumpy sand/clay that doesn't sift for another]. When things cool down in the fall and I detect beaches in normal clothes, I'll have one clipped to my belt and I won't feel at all a little stupid, its simply a tool to be used or not as the owner sees fit.

Your "right way" may or may not work for me or the next guy. I get that some guys who fancy themselves as pro's may want to school novices either from the kindness of their hearts, bloated egos or lack of anything better to do, but alot of times its not what is said but how it is said that separates it from sound advice to "snappy, condescending judgements".

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL Xraywolf! Chill - it's a FORUM! You noticed I put "Right" in quotation marks right? :occasion14:

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always have my pin-pointer with me when hunting the beach. It's saved me a lot of time hunting down the small stuff. If it didn't go nuts in the saltwater, I'd use it there, too.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL Xraywolf! Chill - it's a FORUM! You noticed I put "Right" in quotation marks right? :occasion14:

I'm speaking my mind just like anyone else, and am perfectly aware this is a forum.
Are you saying you'd be inclined to act/talk differently face to face vs "a forum" ?

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You know Terry, the first comment didn't bother me in the least. However the undies/minelab comment, now I'm pissed.:BangHead:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally some excitement around here...no one cares what somebody else does...people just throwing out thoughts and opinions...how do you get your feelings hurt on a forum by people you've never met?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see op post as snappy or condescending, no more so than saying someone wearing sandals with knee high black socks at beach looks stupid which it does, just like wearing your pants half way off your butt looks stupid.....

I have yet to chase a target at the beach that I wish I a pinpointer to find...

DT2016

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread