Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch a lot of youtube and I see this a lot of this. you go to the beach ,you got a $700 MD , a $300 scoop , and a pin pointer . You find a target, you dig it up, it in the scoop, you dump it on the ground and bring out that little pin pointer or your fingers to find it. Now isn't that a little stupid? Why a pin pointer ? you have a scoop, use it ! you don't need a pin pointer on a beach. You waste to much time with a pin pointer. Pin pointer are made for Grass, not sand !!:icon_scratch::icon_scratch::tongue3:

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been at the beach a whopping half-dozen times. Each time, I carry the pinpointer and have pulled it out a couple of times out of frustration that I can't find the object (usually very small, like an earring).

I started with the wipe with the foot method, pinpointed with the coil, found the object at the tip, and tried to grab the object. After two or three times of not finding it, a quick beep beep of the pinpointer isolates it perfectly.

Call me a noob. Berate me as not knowing what I'm doing... whatever. The point of the action is to recover the object. Who cares if I decide to do it with my right foot, left foot, scoop, scoop lip, pinpointer or 4 year old pointed to the object like a hound dog.

It gets recovered. :)
Nobody cares...just giving opinions.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got the mesh in the back of my scoop just like Treasure_Hunter and rarely drop a stud back in the water. But when hunting lakes and you drop something it falls right by your feet an if you look down most times you can see it for scooping it up with the point of the scoop. We can't do that in the ocean.

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of pin-pointerless Super Scoopers here. :laughing9:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got $600.00 for a diamond and platinum stud earring I scored on Jones Beach, here in New York. :headbang:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Terry. That's a great find ! Jones beach has been good to you. But some hunters talk about finding the back of ear rings. Was the stud large enough to be caught by your scoop?

Last edited:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious. How much is an earring back worth anyway?

Good question.....talking the back only, would be interesting to know so I can count my loses as they add up :BangHead:

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dunno... when I started I used a pinpointer at the beach. Now I just use my scoop to sift. But, not everyone HAS a nice stainless scoop to sift.. maybe they are not always hunting the beach but here on vacation?

Personally, I don't care which method someone uses and I'm not here to judge anyone. It's a HOBBY.

Are you going to start a thread complaining that they don't find anything? It's up to them what they find and how they find it.

To be honest, I typically found the item FASTER when using the pin pointer... but carrying the pinpointer if I decide to go in the water is problematic... so I go without and spread,check,scoop,spread,check,scoop,spread,check,scoop ... it takes LONGER. : |

Certainly there are better things to discuss!

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry. That's a great find ! Jones beach has been good to you. But some hunters talk about finding the back of ear rings. Was the stud large enough to be caught by your scoop?

No! That is why I use 1/4" wire mesh in the bottom of the scoop and a rare earth magnet to catch small pieces of stuff that can drive a PI nuts. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread