Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch a lot of youtube and I see this a lot of this. you go to the beach ,you got a $700 MD , a $300 scoop , and a pin pointer . You find a target, you dig it up, it in the scoop, you dump it on the ground and bring out that little pin pointer or your fingers to find it. Now isn't that a little stupid? Why a pin pointer ? you have a scoop, use it ! you don't need a pin pointer on a beach. You waste to much time with a pin pointer. Pin pointer are made for Grass, not sand !!:icon_scratch::icon_scratch::tongue3:

Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, the scoop works for everything bigger than the holes in it.

My stupid pinpointer has saved me tons of time finding that tiny earring back that kept falling through...

Hard wet sand really doesn't fall through the scoop very well either. (St. Augustine type stuff) Pinpointer saved me lots of time there too.

Garrett makes one that works in/under water. Not just for grass anymore!

RocknRoll

Apr 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my pinpointer at the beach. Not all the time but sometimes it saves time in the wet and dry sand. There have been times I was very glad I had it because I was getting frustrated that I could not locate the target even though I knew I got it in the scoop.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I beg to differ, especially at 0300 on moonless night.

OP
OP
ron lord

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guy are missing the Point . It's fine to use a pin pointer on stuff that fall through your scoop ,but using a pin pointer to coin and bigger is dumb.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True I only use mine when something is Falling through Or if it Fell out the top When Shaking it and I thought it was Something Small But it Still Helps Recover target Faster So you Can Swing More And Faster Then Develop Tendentious in your elbow like Me Chug lol yes it true But it not stopping me Just Very Painfull

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, the scoop works for everything bigger than the holes in it.

My stupid pinpointer has saved me tons of time finding that tiny earring back that kept falling through...

Hard wet sand really doesn't fall through the scoop very well either. (St. Augustine type stuff) Pinpointer saved me lots of time there too.

Garrett makes one that works in/under water. Not just for grass anymore!

YUP!
YUP!
YUP!
and YUP!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wet sand above the water line doesn't sift out. So go ahead and spend 10 minutes finding your target, I'll use my pinpointer and be done in seconds.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THIS IS OPINION - NOT INTENDED TO HURT ANYONE'S FEELINGS! WARNING - DON"T READ IF THIN SKINNED...

Where are my beach Pro's at?

Anybody, let me slow down and type slowly so everybody gets this - A-N-Y-B-O-D-Y that is using a pinpointer on a beach has no clue what they are doing. If you can't sift the wet sand mud you dump it and use your foot to separate the clump as you run your coil over it and use the nose of your scoop to pick up the sand you think the target is in. You never have to bend down, and you are done in seconds. :skullflag:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Either way works I guess. I do not own a pinpointer but I use my digging partners. I almost NEVER have had to use it. Dumb maybe but to each their own. PEACE:RONB

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never even owned a pinpointer. Didn't know they made an underwater one. The Excals got a pinpoint on it......
Even the wet sand, I have perfected my "hind kick", to dump that stuff out, rake foot over, find again, pick back up with scoop. I'm mostly beach, water, and sand hunter, otherwise known as,
the litter box. :cat:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 1/4 inch hardware screen in the bottom of my scoop...if something falls through the side holes, I sift the next scoop slow and get it...in the wet sand I dump the clump, spread it with my foot, if I don't see the target I swing the coil and get my target...very fast method...I have a Garrett Carrot but don't need it at the beach.

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only people I've seen use pin pointers on the beach looked like rookies to me. It took me awhile, by watching the old timers, to learn the faster ways of finding my targets as I'm sure other rookies will learn too. It's no skin off my nose if a person uses their pin pointer or not. What ever floats their boat. Maybe they just like using their pin pointer:dontknow:

Some people won't change no matter what you suggest to them. Many years ago I suggested to a fellow hobbyist who swung their coil at least 4" off the sand and moved like a rabbit down the lane, that they would do better if they slowed down and kept their coil closer to the sand. Their reply was "I've been detecting for 15 years and I do just fine thank you".

Now I just detect and don't offer advice to someone that is detecting unless asked. I learned more by watching and asking for help. Most of us working the beach are pretty friendly and are ready to help out rookies. All you have to do is ask. :thumbsup:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a few beach's that I use a Pin point and a sifter, but the others I can get away with out it no problem. Some places have a lot of shells, gravel or other items that look like treasure. If your a fresh drop hunter the stuff jumps out at you but if your a old beach hunter things get crusty. So there is a time and place for them, just not often.

ScooperDave

Jan 29, 2014
Orange County, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT w/10"x 12" SEF Butterfly Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And don't forget about the guys that bend over for each target using hand held sand scoops and the guys that swing their coils 5" above the sand in a happy face formation...:laughing7:

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And don't forget about the guys that swing their coils 5" above the sand in a happy face formation...:laughing7:

Those are the only guys that I like to hunt with.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm good with being stupid.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I haven't found a need for one. If I have to bend down I am wasting time. Scoop -> dump -> spread with feet -> find target -> scoop it -> sift. Takes 15-30 seconds total and I'm off. Doesnt matter if its wet or dry sand. When I scoop the target after spreading it with my feet there is so little sand that the wettest sand still sifts through. Now if your vision is bad or something I guess I could see its use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread