Best beach detector East Coast

Captt228

Jul 31, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently retired haven't metal detected in 25 years. I finally got some time I Owned a Whites Coinmaster way back when and it paid for itself in days. I live now in Coney Island and South Florida by the beach. I want to get a new detector for the beach but Not underwater. There are so many detectors out there any reommendations? Does it pay to buy an expensive used one off eBay?

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Please take my advice do not even think about the recommendation below of a Minelab Excalibur all the shielding fell off of my $1,300 Excalibur and the company refused to replace that and even admitted it was the wrong cable. they would replace it from the main unit to the coil and the headset for $400 Plus Minelab is in my estimation worthless and you're just wasting your money thank you. The Surf pi from whites is worth every penny.

You thinking about selling that piece of worthless junk? Let me know...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please take my advice do not even think about the recommendation below of a Minelab Excalibur all the shielding fell off of my $1,300 Excalibur and the company refused to replace that and even admitted it was the wrong cable. they would replace it from the main unit to the coil and the headset for $400 Plus Minelab is in my estimation worthless and you're just wasting your money thank you. The Surf pi from whites is worth every penny.

If your coil cable fell apart and they wouldn't cover it under Minelab warranty then you were obviously out of warranty. Excal has 1 year warranty, not lifetime warranty.

As far as cost of replacement a new 10" coil is $150 plus $75 labor, new stock HP are $150 plus $37.50 labor if done at same time as coil.

Buy a Surf PI and be ready to dig every tiny piece of iron on the beach foot deep, I never ever dig iron with my excals.

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Last edited:

creeker42

Jan 13, 2008
Connecticut shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
White" M6
I used a White's PI on the loaded with iron, salt beaches where I live. After 2 seasons I took a loss and sold it. It would really go deep, if you don't mind digging hairpins and nails, 10" down in wet sand all day. I went to using a Minelab Sovereign GT and it was a good move. Takes a little bit of a learning curve, but once you learn it's settings you'll be finding good stuff. Many areas of my beaches are black heavy mineralized wet sand. The GT's ability to ground balance in these areas and to null out the iron, is a big advantage. As some of the others do, I use mine with a straight shaft, and hang it from a chest strap made for binoculars. Anybody want to take my Sovereign? "It'll be from my cold dead hands"!
Ed

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does matter what model sovereign. Only the sovereign gt is supported by Minelab, there are still parts available for the sov elite, any sovereigns earlier are next to impossible to get parts for.....

Not so... I've had my XS and XS2 both repaired by KellyCo ML repair center without issue.
but those old parts cannot last forever.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not so... I've had my XS and XS2 both repaired by KellyCo ML repair center without issue.
but those old parts cannot last forever.

I am correct, Minelab no longer supports the sov xs and xs2, that is why you can't get any parts for it, they stopped making the parts. The only thing kellyco can do now is fix cold solder issues.

Minelab repair will tell you the same thing I am saying. Not supported, no longer have parts. most likely unable to be repair..

terry g

May 9, 2009
In the Mediterranean on a yacht.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
2 x Excalibur ll, Excal 1000,
Sovereign GT! If you can get one with a splash proof box even better. Once it is set up for the beach you are on, you don't need to open the box, until you leave the beach. I hunted for years with mine and it still works fine and has paid for many Excaliburs .
If you are young and like digging then go for the Whites PI.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a White's PI on the loaded with iron, salt beaches where I live. After 2 seasons I took a loss and sold it. It would really go deep, if you don't mind digging hairpins and nails, 10" down in wet sand all day. I went to using a Minelab Sovereign GT and it was a good move. Takes a little bit of a learning curve, but once you learn it's settings you'll be finding good stuff. Many areas of my beaches are black heavy mineralized wet sand. The GT's ability to ground balance in these areas and to null out the iron, is a big advantage. As some of the others do, I use mine with a straight shaft, and hang it from a chest strap made for binoculars. Anybody want to take my Sovereign? "It'll be from my cold dead hands"!
Ed

I'm getting tired of the small iron using my White's Dual Field on salt beaches. Gonna keep it for now but just bought a CZ-1 to give me a little discrimination when I need it.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am correct, Minelab no longer supports the sov xs and xs2, that is why you can't get any parts for it, they stopped making the parts. The only thing kellyco can do now is fix cold solder issues.

Minelab repair will tell you the same thing I am saying. Not supported, no longer have parts. most likely unable to be repair..

Wow... I am really sorry to hear that. Glad I have 3!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not a salt beach hunter 99.9% of the time but I will be in May for a few weeks when I go to FL.

Although not waterproof, the Sovereign GT is widely regarded as the best of the best on salt beaches by detectorists around the world. Also very popular detector for mods and can be made waterproof without too much effort. I've read it runs smoother than the FBS offerings which contributes to it's reputation. :dontknow: It's also much simpler to operate, obviously. Sadly it's no longer in production.

I picked one up for the trip anyway.

I can't imagine it's reputation being so high if it sucked.

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Why doesn't anyone talk about a garrett mark II sea hunter ??

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coden could not suck any more money out of the Sovereign... that's why they stopped making it!
They stopped making it because sales for it dropped to point it was no longer profitable.....

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why doesn't anyone talk about a garrett mark II sea hunter ??
What's there to talk about? It's a PI machine......beep and dig a bunch of iron.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread