RIP CURRENT RISK BS!!!!

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to start this by saying that this is not a rant. It is also not meant to be derogatory against the weather channel (although I fully admit to the fact that I believe them to lean a little, OK, a lot, to the sensationalist side during an emergency).

Last night I was checking the weather channel to decide where I was going to spend my birthday (the 4th) Th'ing. Who do I see, none less then Dr. Eugene Lyons (a well respected and acknowledged expert on hurricanes) giving his tropical weather report (always interesting and informative). Then however they show a map with different areas of the Gulf and Eastern Seaboard that are at what they claim to be at risk of Rip Currents. That along with a number of people recently asking me about Rip's is the only reason for this post.

PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY!!!! If you have any surf at all, even light surf, Rip's can be and usually are present. It's as simple as that. The heavier the surf, the stronger the Rip.

Another common name for a Rip is "Undertow" (there is no such thing), it is a Rip. A Rip does not pull you under, it pulls you out. Those of us that TH in the water (as well as anyone that wants to play at the beach) have a need to know about this phenomena as they can be dangerous.

1. Rips are caused by the volume of water hitting the beach wanting to return to the sea.

2. This flow of outgoing water alters the bottom and a Rip will move along the beach throughout the day because of this.

3. Rips can be easily spotted. The most common sign is a line of foam and debris floating out to sea. In some cases you will actually be able to see the current flowing away from the beach.

4. All rips can be dangerous if you get caught in them, even the light ones. You will be drawn away from the beach quickly.

5. The average Rip will more often then not dissipate about 100 yards off the beach (this does not include storm rips that can be much larger).

6. If caught in a Rip, DON'T PANIC!!!! Panic Kills. Merely swim parallel to the beach until you are out of it, then swim diagonally back into the beach.

That is all there is to a Rip Current. There is no need to make anymore of it then that. Unfortunately, the sensationalism seeking media has decided to add the Rip to it's agenda.

It is really important not to panic and I can't stress that enough. Last year I was hunting one of my favorite beaches. The surf was fairly high because of a storm and I was working the lane in the wave wash. I had just started to dig a hit and a larger wave caught me, knocked me down and pulled me into the water. I tried to regain my footing but the surge was to strong. I put my scoop down to the bottom and gave a good push. Two or three more pushes (I was still being pulled out) and I was out of the Rip. A few more (along with the wave action) and Deepsix, along with his MD and Scoop, was able to stand again and get back to the beach. After a few minutes rest and a few choice words to myself about not turning my back on the ocean, I continued on my way happily looking for my next target.

Rips can also be a tool to be used by those that understand them. Beach divers are a perfect example. The diver wants to go off shore. What better way to get there with minimal effort then to find a Rip, gear up and jump into the middle of it. Suddenly this much touted danger becomes a helpful tool.

When I lived in California we used this meathod on a regular basis to get off shore for a dive. We also used it when we were free diving as it was an easy way to get to the offshore kelp beds to spearfish or Ab and lobster hunt (this was before the day of the Sea Kayak and even the Dive Board. Yes, I've been doing this a long time....lol).

I've also used it here on the Gulf coast to reach the offshore Sand Dollar Beds. The very large Sand Dollars and especially the arrowhead shaped ones can bring a good chunk of change. Tow a float (I use what we always called a California float as it's very easy to make, tows through the surf easily, and can carry a lot), fill it up with them and you've earned a good days wage (there are many kinds of treasure in the ocean).

Rip Currents are merely another fact of life around the beach. Learn how to spot them, how to deal with them should you find yourself caught in one and be on your way having fun. Don't let a sensationalist seeking media keep you away from the beach because they have predicted Rips for your area.

Remember, if there is surf, there are Rips.
Deepsix

Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: RIP CURRENT RISK!!!!

Deepsix,

I was diving a few miles out the other day (off of St Pete Beach) and saw some really large sand dollars. They were next to the illegal scallops. Anyhow, who is buying the sand dollars and for how much for how many?

Doth opportunity knock?

kaellman

Greenie
Jun 18, 2007

Thanks for the info man. Is it possible to get pulled into a underwater current if u cant get out of the rip and on what level does the rip go? At the bottom?

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GuyInBack said:
Deepsix,

I was diving a few miles out the other day (off of St Pete Beach) and saw some really large sand dollars. They were next to the illegal scallops. Anyhow, who is buying the sand dollars and for how much for how many?

Doth opportunity knock?

Higher dollar gift shops. Concentrate on only the large round ones and especially the large arrowheads. Clean, dry, and harden them (all very easy to do), then put a small wooden stand with each one (get them at the Dollar Store).

$3 to $4 for the round and $5 to $6 for the arrowheads depending on quantity (a dozen or more gets the lower price).

Clean them correctly or they get to brittle. Don't use the commercial hardener, a 50/50 mix of Elmer's Wood Glue and water is all you need (just dip them and let them dry). Use a little imagination and some artistic talent and you can get upwards of $20 per. It usually takes from 4 to 7 days from harvest to sale. A day in the right areas can easily net more than a hundred of them.
Deepsix

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kaellman said:
Thanks for the info man. Is it possible to get pulled into a underwater current if u cant get out of the rip and on what level does the rip go? At the bottom?

The Rip runs as a column from the bottom to the surface. During storm surf, when the waves are coming in at a hard angle to the beach, you can get a very strong cross beach current that flows parallel to the beach, right at the surf line. This can be as nasty as any rip and can grab you in a heartbeat. It will sweep you along the beach and it can be difficult to regain your footing. In this case, swim across it and directly into the beach. When you can get to your hands and knees, crawl out if necessary.
Deepsix

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal

kaelman
yes you can get "pulled" into a rip. Most of the time they go from the ocean floor to the surface. It doesn't matter if you're swimming on the surface, swimming under water or surfing... the same rules apply. DO NOT fight the current, or swim with/against, or try to swim up/down to avoid it. Swim perpendicular to the current, which is almost always parallel to the shore to get out of it.

and most importantly... NEVER PANIC

steve

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2

Three weeks ago in Cocoa Beach i was standing in knee deep water,The wave comes in and then pulls hard on the way out, I watched the life guards rescue alot of people that were trying to swim towards shore but were not gaining any distance.

What happens a sand bar builds off the beach then as the tides roll in,The sand bar opens up in different places and the water rushes thru on the way back out, And the force will pull you out to sea,If this happens don't fight it, start swimming parallel to the beach until your out of the strong current then swim back in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread