2nd hunt

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well guys I must be getting better I found twice as much rust this hunt and more importantly twice as much money 2p.We are going to try a couple of hours tomorrow night on a new part of the beach that's more busy. 2nd-finds.jpg

Upvote 0

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I too would be hunting another beach,,,,surprised your tector picks up all the rusty nails......

Maybe change settings a bit :thumbsup::thumbsup:

OP
OP
P

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
I have had a play with the settings but it wont eliminate the nails, I can get it to eliminate ring pulls ok but not much else.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the problem with a PI detector, you spend too much of your time digging iron.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a play with the settings but it wont eliminate the nails, I can get it to eliminate ring pulls ok but not much else.

If you are able to get the Sea Hunter to eliminate ring pulls you just eliminated a pretty good portion of gold items!
There is a method to help not dig some (but not all ) iron. Sweep the target with even, consistent swings while doing a 90-180 degree circle around the target. You are listening for the sound to be round and the same all the way around. Iron will have a drawn out or double hit sound. It's all about studying the threshold while arcing around the target with a PI machine, if you don't want to dig every piece of iron trash out there.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the problem with a PI detector, you spend too much of your time digging iron.

Yes I quickly learned why the Excalibur is so nice because it automatically knocks out all the junk iron.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I quickly learned why the Excalibur is so nice because it automatically knocks out all the junk iron.

excal2 # one for sure.....hey Fletch......see you are a Georgian.....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

OP
OP
P

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Thanks guys I am getting the same noise with all of these nails a very strong beep. I suppose I could just ignore that tone and I assume a gold ring would give off a different sound yes.

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of iron, never knew there was that many nails at a beach. With you digging all you are not missing anything. But I would listen to Fletch and listen for the roundness. Dig a few iron items to confirm his method and start passing them by. Good luck, hope you get something real nice. Happy hunting.

OP
OP
P

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Going to take a gold ring over tonight and put it down about 6" and have a listen to it, I think with this MD a lot of what I need to dig may be done by ear. I'm still very new to this and all I can do is learn a little bit more each time I take it out.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to take a gold ring over tonight and put it down about 6" and have a listen to it, I think with this MD a lot of what I need to dig may be done by ear. I'm still very new to this and all I can do is learn a little bit more each time I take it out.

Be sure and tie a string to it before you bury it! I almost lost my wedding band when I dropped it in a 8-10" deep hole a little to close to the wave line! Once a couple of waves covered everything up I could not
hear it with a Sand Shark I had at the time! My wife came walking up and asked why I was digging so frantically. I did not tell her until I finally was able to scoop it up and she almost killed me for using my wedding band to test with!

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Yes will do, didn't get out last night I hope to get a couple of hours this afternoon.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Go over it from opposite directions. Slow your strokes down A LOT. If you hear a double beep then move on. If you listen carefully you will also notice a buzz. That is the sound of the object being muted from all the rust around it. A coin makes a quick beep from all directions. If you get loud sounds from different directions that drag out for a few inches then move on. It takes a long time to master weeding out iron with the sand shark. For as much as I weed out I also find a lot that I can't weed out. My best advice right now is to work the dry sand and dig everything! You will quickly start to figure things out. When you are in the dry sand and you localize an object then kick off the top couple layers of sand. If the object moves you will find exactly where it is. Put a high powered magnet in the bottom of the scoop. When working in the dry sand it will pull a lot of the iron for you. If the object magically disappears then the magnet got it. Lots more tips as you become proficient but focus on the dry sand and dig EVERYTHING!

OP
OP
P

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Thank you for that, at the moment I only get one sound and it's a big beep and every time it's a rusty nail. I need to here some different sounds as well so I can try to work out what's a nail and what could be something else. The more hours I put in the more I can learn and I know it's going to take a while. I need to put some different objects under the sand and have a good listen to the sounds and try and try and build some memory for the sounds.

OP
OP
P

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
What size/power magnet would be ideal in the scoop?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread