Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that there have been several posting on beach scoops and most people have there favorite.
I am hoping that anybody has some experience with a scoop called Ontario, it's a S.S. scoop from Europe. I have seen them on ebay.
I like the looks of it with the somewhat flat bottom. Several beaches I hunt on have sand that is only 4 or 5 inches deep. So ones that are round or "V" shape on the bottom don't work that well. On the other beaches I hunt the sand is quite thick so most scoops will work.
I hunt on the dry and wet sand mostly.
If you have used this scoop in the past or one similar what did you think of them? How good are the welds? Would they hold up in the wet sand.
I also like the U-bolts for holding the handle as it would make it easy to fix a broken handle or change from a short or long handle.
scoop 1.JPG
:icon_scratch:
I did not post a link because I don't think that's allowed, but it is simple enough to look up.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My problem with the RTG scoops is that they don't hold up to heavy duty wet sand scooping. Usually it's the welds in the upper plate, where the handle bracket is. If you take smaller scoops, use it in dry sand, don't dig in rocks, it will work ok. Out in the water with waves, you like to make a one-scoop recovery when you can. A full scoop of wet sand can be pretty heavy and prying that puppy out can be hard on a scoop. The Stealth scoops are the ones I think hold up the best. I'm not a fan of aluminum on a scoop either. They wear a lot faster than stainless, and with the thicker material, harder to push into the sand. Most have a smaller opening too. I like one that will take a big bite for faster recoveries.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I've never had a problem with my RTG in wet sand. I have the mini 5" travel and it's rock solid. If your prying on it like a mad man in the wet sand/gravel bars then for sure, any scoop will eventually give. The trick is to use your scoop with proper technique If your hammering on it and pulling back with all your strength, you will break any scoop. The RTG's are very durable light weight scoops and awesome in wet sand. Some guys try to take too much wet sand In one scoop and this not only makes it hard on your scoop but your body as well. Dig smart with your RTG and it'll last you for many yrs. My aluminum RTG has held up just as good so far as my stainless Stavr scoop. Hope this helps.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been using the RTG 7" Aluminum scoop for the last five years. Light, strong, and a bargain. No weld breaks, just thousands in gold and silver recovered. Good Luck!

Attachments

• jones72311 019.jpg
    jones72311 019.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
  • a16 (2).jpg
    a16 (2).jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
clv

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rgt scoop I bought is great.. the SS tip is replaceable if it is ever damage. No problems so far.
\ I have used this scoop 4 + hours a day three days a week since I got her in Aug of 2016 The sand ranges from cobblestones to fine, heavy wet to dry. I can say you will not be sorry with this scoop.
I would like to see some photos of busted welds on this scoop along how much use it got to get that way/ I don't mean "I heard of a guy that knew a guy" type of stories, I mean first hand.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTG......90 day limited warranty, Stealth.......lifetime warranty. That should tell you something too.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RTG......90 day limited warranty, Stealth.......lifetime warranty. That should tell you something too.

At almost $100.00 more, I think the added warranty is paid for. "IF" the RTG breaks due to a bad weld (a less than 1% possibility with machine welding), it will occur within the first few hours of wet sand use. I guess that is what I take from it. Both are superior products that do the job. It comes down to affordability and preference. :skullflag:

OP
OP
clv

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It tell me that at a $100 bucks more they can give several away every year. There are pics on this site of damage stealths, trex and ukraine made scoops but I have not found any on the RTG scoops yet. One more thing to consider is the RGT has been making scoops since the mid 60s.
I am interested in facts not opinions

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor