how many of you use the coil protector...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
What voltage are you showing after a long charge of that time? The new Excal's have a bit better battery than the older models, so Marty told me.... but I think I read somewhere

I'm heading to town to pick up a better multi-meter. The one I have is not suitable. I "presumed" that after a 16 hour charge, the battery would be fine. We all know what "presuming" results in.

The only new Excal battery I've heard of is the RnB...

Over 40 years involved in construction and equipment maintenance reliability, I for one do not trust the fact that the battery slides in the compartment every single time you swing it. That WILL lead to failure over time.

If RnB continues to sell that battery, and it ain't cheap - they should also provide a spacer to prevent that 3/8" of movement every time you swing it.

And, they did not.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm heading to town to pick up a better multi-meter. The one I have is not suitable. I "presumed" that after a 16 hour charge, the battery would be fine. We all know what "presuming" results in.

The only new Excal battery I've heard of is the RnB...

Over 40 years involved in construction and equipment maintenance reliability, I for one do not trust the fact that the battery slides in the compartment every single time you swing it. That WILL lead to failure over time.

If RnB continues to sell that battery, and it ain't cheap - they should also provide a spacer to prevent that 3/8" of movement every time you swing it.

And, they did not.

Walmart has a good one multi-meter that has several settings on it,,,,it works great for me...Just got not long ago for maybe $25 or thereabouts. It has the setting on there
for a 20 v reading and of course many other settings for around the house stuff.

HH on the multi-meter !!!

Dennis

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I really like on the Excal is that reflective lime colored stripe down the middle. That freshwater and sometimes murky water, tells me about where to place the scoop. I don't see me covering the coil with epoxy.

Yesterday's hunt was sparse in targets, just a dime and a "mood" ring. And then my battery died again. I'd tried a "smart charger" the night before for a 16 hour charge. I only got about an hour in the water before it went wazoo. Back on the stock charger last night.

I'd purchased the RnB Excal battery but haven't used it yet. I placed it in the alkaline battery holder, and the RnB is 3/8" too short, so it slides in the holder like a piston. I don't know what to think about that right now - thinking of taking a wine bottle cork and cutting it to fit in order to restrict battery movement. I don't think that movement would be good for it over time.
Try some cotton balls.

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Top, I had a little inside my cover once I wore a hole in it but its impossible to get the cover off of the CZ21 once it's on there without totally destroying it. When I talked to Fisher Repair and they told me they were going to send my detector back with a cover already on it I asked them if it would cause a problem in the performance of the detector if sand etc. got in between the cover and coil and he said no and that I needed to keep the cover on it. Honestly it fits so tightly that I don't think it has the ability to build up like what I've heard Excaliber users say they build up. The very fact that Excaliber users can take their covers off to begin with pretty much tells me there's a difference in how they fit.

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Top, I also failed to mention that I use a CZ21 with the 8 inch coil. There may be a big difference with the 10 inch coil due to the shape of the coil itself. On the 8 inch coil there's so many small crevices that once the cover is on it's super tight.

saltednuts

Feb 12, 2011
york county, penn.
Detector(s) used
presently garrett gta 1000 , fisher cz5 and now a fisher cz21 10.5" coil and vibra=quatic 2 pinpointer add another cz21
plasti dip or pourable seler for roofing applications im a roofer and this stuff is tough 2 years and no signs of wear to concern me andim rather paticular

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Honestly it fits so tightly that I don't think it has the ability to build up like what I've heard Excaliber users say they build up. The very fact that Excaliber users can take their covers off to begin with pretty much tells me there's a difference in how they fit.

I've had the cover to my Excal off twice, and it's a broken fingernail battle to get it off. The original owner had cable tied the cover on and that thing was tight. I couldn't believe sand & etc. had gotten into the cover, and the first time it was caked full of sand and considerable black sand. I just took it off again for the second time, around two weeks later and it was sanded up again.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here you go D. Sealed tight and invisible...

IMG_3629.JPG

penzfan,

If have time, could you please post a close up pic of sealing job of excal2 coil protector.......very interested in this,,,,Thanks!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am thinking about doing the same thing except I dont think I will paint the top

It wasn't my original intent to paint the top. However, after filling in the contact areas where the cover meets the coil housing I decided I wanted a continuous layer. Plus, that is the best looking job I could do at that point.

Most people do not seal a cover and only paint on the epoxy. I decided to fill the cover and press it on so there are no air gaps (I hope) between the cover and coil housing so even if there is a minor gap on the outside edge in the future, there is no void inside that can be filled.

I'll report back in 5 or 6 years. :-)

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Top, I had a little inside my cover once I wore a hole in it but its impossible to get the cover off of the CZ21 once it's on there without totally destroying it. When I talked to Fisher Repair and they told me they were going to send my detector back with a cover already on it I asked them if it would cause a problem in the performance of the detector if sand etc. got in between the cover and coil and he said no and that I needed to keep the cover on it. Honestly it fits so tightly that I don't think it has the ability to build up like what I've heard Excaliber users say they build up. The very fact that Excaliber users can take their covers off to begin with pretty much tells me there's a difference in how they fit.

I think the fit may vary unit to unit. I have heard both excal and cz users talk about removing their covers and also some that talk about having to cut the cover off. I bought my CZ used and though the cover was very tight I was able to pry it off in one piece by going very slow with a small thin screwdriver. I did submerge it in warm water for a few minutes before attempting to take it off.

Fisher telling you that anything moving around inside a coil cover won't affect performance is weird. If sand can get in, water can get in. The coil detects magnetic phase shift based on metals and minerals in the magnetized region. How MUCH it affects it I do not know; being an EE though, I know it will affect the response. I know I had quite a bit of falsing on my one trip out before I did the mod.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Have never worn a hole in one yet. And if I do, silicone is very pliable. And I never stated it was tough to take off. It was a pain in the a$$ to keep clean. We'll see...
What do you do when you wear a hole in that cover and sand/water seep inside again? You think taking it off before was tough.....:BangHead:

Last edited:

bluediamounds 55

Feb 2, 2012
tx.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excalibur 11 dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost my coil cover in 2011 the first time I took it in the water no problems yet with wearing any holes but Iam sure in the future it will eventually wear a hole or get a crack

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use a coil cover on every machine; water or land. Cheap insurance for a pricey item!

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little while back I started a thread about the coil cover and wear to the coil and was asking for thoughts and ideas and I had about decided to go with the plasti dip idea because of being able to peel it off. But I decided to hunt a couple of more times and push my luck. It was right around the Fourth of July and I didn't want to take the time to do it then. The next trip was when my detector freaked out and it ended up going back to Fisher. That's when I found myself purchasing a new coil. My sister was kind enough to buy me a new CZ21 while it was down for repairs. I didn't want to mess with voiding any warranties so I went with a coil cover on my new CZ21 and then Fisher sent my old one back with a new coil and coil cover already attached. It's also under a new warranty. This may start a new thread going but I will also mention that my old CZ21 came from the factory "Hot". It was much more sensitive than others I had tried and my friend's CZ21's. I asked Fisher if it would still perform the same. I was told that anytime they receive a detector in for repair it goes back out the door set to factory specifications. Sure enough, when it came back I was pleased with it but it's not as hot as it originally was. My new CZ21 isn't as sensitive and CZ21 users know what I mean when I say when I turn the sensitivity up to get some background "hum" I can turn it all the way up and it's still quiet. Fisher told me I need to send my new one back to them for "recalibration", which I'm definitely going to do because it isn't as sensitive as it should be in my opinion. I've talked to different users who have more than one and they say they all are a little different. Fisher told me that they've heard of someone out in the real world who takes Fisher Gold Bugs and can turn up the sensitivity and make them "hotter". They said if they get one of those machines in for repair that when it goes back out the door it will be set back to factory specifications. I assume detectors are like cars. Ten of the same model will be different, some better than others. I wish my old detector had come back as hot as it was from the factory. Before I sent my old one back I couldn't turn the sensitivity up past 7 before it would start getting erratic in the area I hunt primarily. But, when it died it wasn't of any use to me so I was just glad to have it fixed. I know this got off topic and I meant to start a thread about it before but got sidetracked. So if you have one that you feel operates a little better than others it's all the more reason to protect it as much as possible and not have to send it in because it will come back from the factory set to factory specifications. It would seem that they should all be the exact same but I guess there's a range that meets guidelines when they "tune them" at the factory and some fall in the range hotter and some not as hot. I'm not an engineer but I know my detectors like the back of my hand and can tell a difference in how my two operate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread