Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A ignorant drunk, or just plain out fool,, tosses change in front of you on the beach and says something
on the lines of "here fellow, some loose change to pick up". I have had this happen a couple times,,,I smile
keep walking, with scoop end of 720 pointing forward, point down with short tight grip on upper neck of it......
Just for balance, you know....

Man,,,,some people are just plain out jealous.....this is my reasoning anyway....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't get me wrong - I'm not confrontational
unless pushed - ive helped a lot of people over the yrs - made a lot of returns - jewelry - keys sunglasses
more than I even mention - have given cars and other toys found to kids on the beach - if I'm in Fla, I find and give away
shells to people near me - but I stay clear of people as much as I can - I do this mostly by hitting in older swim areas where they don't swim any more -
or by going at sunrise or sunset - I do this by staying low in the water when people are around - I will walk on by at first if some one is throwing stuff
in fromnt of me for their enjoyment - its only when they push it that I strike like a shark
they think I cant hear because I don't react - ive had people hit me with items after ive heard them say "watch this"
I had kids do that with footballs and such - where I try to go way around and I hear "watch this" and ball ends up not even close to the catcher and goes by my head
I will ignore usually first time but sometimes i hear someone in the group say "do it again" and its hit me or right next to my ear
then without hesitation - it goes deep - ive thrown balls 50 yrds into deep waters - I warned them a few times and still been pushed
by clown that wants to be cool in front of friends - like I said - I will mind my business and play deaf and try to get away from them first
but its all in what game they want to play - ive had some move in front of me and then I try and go deeper and they look at their friends and move in front of me again - then I go shallow and they go in front of me again - these aren't little kids - usually late teens or college guys - then I have words
I know guys that plow thru people - that hit people with scoop or coil to get people to move for them - that's not me
those are the guys that gonna get us banned

I just ignore them, its not worth getting upset over. Its a choice, do I wanna let them bother me or do I wanna keep enjoying what Im doing? You cannot have it both ways.

This has happened several times to me.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thing is - how far are you willing to let it go - you put tail between your legs
what do you think these people going to do next time - or to another th'er ?

OP
OP
RVRoamer73

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can surely tell today is a good lazy day for me,, but need to mow grass and prepare for tomorrows beach trip. Looks like lots have come across certain attitudes and situations
on the beach or water hunting. In the end, there are some real a$$'s out there and that's this ole world. Can't shoot 'em tween the eyes, just deal with best way a man can
to keep his integrity intact. Each person is different and reacts differently, it the end, you yourself know what you will do, and if you are ok with it, then that is your decision .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure it has happen to all beach hunters at one time or another if they have hunted very long. I ignore them unless they say something to me, then I just tell them it is only hobby that I have had that pays me in gold and diamonds...

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It would be cool to turn it around and pull out a highly sought out coin from your pocket and thank them for the 300 dollar coin!

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be cool to turn it around and pull out a highly sought out coin from your pocket and thank them for the 300 dollar coin!

I like that Rusty! Or palm a nice ring and slip it in the scoop when you pull it up and say..."Well look at that!"

Injunbro

Oct 8, 2011
SE Arizoa

My thought exactly. Then ask them if they're ignorant enough to throw away more valuable stuff (glad I don't hang out w/ people like me, I'd hate me).

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Tell them you're staying in practice for your "real" job - checking for buried ordinance around the State Capitol and other important buildings. :laughing7:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking of making a sign...
Getting some baseball catchers gear...
Some high impact glasses...
and setting up at the beach posting my sign that reads...

" TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT AT ME "
" CHANGE AND JEWELRY ONLY "

Its been tuff out there :P

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking of making a sign...
Getting some baseball catchers gear...
Some high impact glasses...
and setting up at the beach posting my sign that reads...

" TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT AT ME "
" CHANGE AND JEWELRY ONLY "

Its been tuff out there :P

In 2004 Europe seemed to really have issues with Americans, one night me and the boys went out on the town with signs that said Punch an American, 20 bucks body shots and 50 bucks head shots.

We did pretty good around the puny drunk Europeans. Got lots of their money.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey OJ, long time no see! :hello:

Man, never thought about doing that to raise some fast cash!! ...Only thing, where I was, I think most folks rather liked Americans, and I KNOW they respected me too much - not to mention someone else! :wink:

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
A ignorant drunk, or just plain out fool,, tosses change in front of you on the beach and says something
on the lines of "here fellow, some loose change to pick up". I have had this happen a couple times,,,I smile
keep walking, with scoop end of 720 pointing forward, point down with short tight grip on upper neck of it......
Just for balance, you know....

Man,,,,some people are just plain out jealous.....this is my reasoning anyway....

Bet ya if your carrying a nice Serrated Lesche, they probably wouldn't mess with you:laughing7:. And if someone threw clad in my path, I think I would just tell them "I'm not out here for chump change". He probably wouldn't throw anymore.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 2004 Europe seemed to really have issues with Americans, one night me and the boys went out on the town with signs that said Punch an American, 20 bucks body shots and 50 bucks head shots.

We did pretty good around the puny drunk Europeans. Got lots of their money.

Still got this going ?

How about head and body shot combo special package ? :P

Last edited:

strick

Feb 28, 2005
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Embarrassed to tell
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny you mentioned this type of incident. I had the exact thing happen to me couple weeks ago. Usually 90 % of the people are nice and ask how you did and tell you good luck..... but there are a few show offs out there that have to act like the "Big Man" in front of their wife and kids. Here's how it went. I was detecting and thought I heard someone saying something to me through my head phones. I look up and see this Hispanic guy sitting with his wife and kids under a big umbrella. I walk over to him and he is smiling and pointing to the ground near his feet and says "find it" I ask did you loose something? and run my coil quickly over the spot thinking I can help...then he says in broken english "Get the Money" while pointing to the spot. That's when I realized I was being made a joke of so I took off my headphones looked him in the eye and said "I'm not after your money...I have lots of money....I'm after your ring"...then I said "Now throw your ring on the ground" and he just looked at me and his facial expression changed right away...so did his wife's...when he did not comply I said it again this time with a serious but smiling face and a little louder then the first time "GO AHEAD THROW YOUR RING ON THE GROUND" Still no comply. So I turned and walked away.

strick

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never happen to me in Japan, but they do think us Americans are a strange lot. They have no interest in this hobby which is a good thing I guess. They think we do it just to make money. Little do they know most of us have plenty of $$ and do this as a challenge. I try to explain that is a lot like fishing and you don't really do it just for the food, but for the adventure.

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its nothing to get pissy about, would folks get angry if someone threw down a ring in front of them as well.

I actually had this happen. Well, they buried a junk ring just behind the towel line behind themselves. It was a bunch of drunk Argentinians on a beach in Brasil. This lady about 55-60 I guess thought it would be funny until I scooped up the ring put it in my pouch and kept going. She freaked out wanting her ring back and I just ignored her finally she called the cops over and we had a nice three language no conversation; as I immediately forgot any little bit of Portuguese or Spanish I knew.

It was quite entertaining for a few minutes and she wanted the cops to search me but apparently they didn't see a need. I indicated to them that she was drunk and crazy and I walked away. Sadly it was junk, I wish she had buried something nice. :-)

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually had this happen. Well, they buried a junk ring just behind the towel line behind themselves. It was a bunch of drunk Argentinians on a beach in Brasil. This lady about 55-60 I guess thought it would be funny until I scooped up the ring put it in my pouch and kept going. She freaked out wanting her ring back and I just ignored her finally she called the cops over and we had a nice three language no conversation; as I immediately forgot any little bit of Portuguese or Spanish I knew.

It was quite entertaining for a few minutes and she wanted the cops to search me but apparently they didn't see a need. I indicated to them that she was drunk and crazy and I walked away. Sadly it was junk, I wish she had buried something nice. :-)

Thats pretty funny; being drunk sure does not help her case to cops in any nation either.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i just keep walking,then go back and get it when they are gone.
brad

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thing is - how far are you willing to let it go - you put tail between your legs
what do you think these people going to do next time - or to another th'er ?
I do the same things you do Casper...and I feel the same way...its just like with a kid growing up, if you don't correct them they will get worse and worse....sad that some adults need to be corrected but Im not shy about correcting them...like you said, the more you let em go, the farther they will go next time...I don't believe in letting someone treat people any way they want and cower away...Im aware that could get me in trouble but Ill take the risk...I know Ive left people standing with a blank look on their face that wont bother anyone else again...kids get a free pass from me, what they do doesn't bother me at all...its the adults I take issue with.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I hold my scoop out towards them and ask if they can get in the scoop this time.

I had one guy who kept trying to engage me. I said, "Aww crap, you're going to get me thrown back in prison after this fight ain't ya?" He left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread