What are you all using for handles on your scoops and how long are they?

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just ordered a stainless scoop but I have to put the handle on it. Ive had sunspot scoops in the past, they had a wooden handle and it was about 4ft long if I remember right.
Is that the best option still or is there another way you all are going these days?
This is going to be used for wading, just to about waist deep or a little more and also wet sand/dry sand hunting. Not rocky beaches....just sand, mostly soft.

Upvote 0

Golden oaks

Aug 4, 2012
BEACH BETTER HAVE MY MONEY!
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Excalibur II
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
I just carry the wooden shaft for my sunspot. The carbon is lighter but, more expensive. I've been thinking about adding foam to aid in the floating.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used the wooden handle on my Sunspot's but the carbon fiber is great.:thumbsup:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is my Backsaver attached.

Attachments

• a16 (2).jpg
    a16 (2).jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 63

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Chuck's Carbon Fiber handle is number one IMHO. I have one on my 720i.
Best of luck!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I looked at the prices of the carbon fiber ones, and spent $14 on an Ash post hole digger handle. I knew it was going to be heavy, but economics becomes important. A surprise on that though, it's not heavy in the water, and I find it quite nice that even with my very heavy Stealth 920iX, that handle floats upright. All I have to do is reach for it if I have to let go for some reason. But, that doesn't really help when you're getting hit with waves.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
I tried lots. And had lots of failures. The longest lasting setup is cf shaft. With solid oak dowel.

i used 1 1/8 solid oak dowel stock. It only came in 36 inch lengths. So I bought 2.

For carbon fiber I used 1 1/4 " od. I think it's .060 thick. Maybe .073. The dowel is coated with epoxy before it was installed. This was a pain and made a mess.

Its not light. But it's strong and will withstand a beating. I think I tried 4 different ways before this and they all failed. Pine dowel. Fail. Fiberglass instead of cf...fail. I originally left some of the dowel stick out but since cut it down to the cf. that was 48". Would help if I mentioned that.

All in all it cost quite a bit. 100$ alone for the shaft. Home Depot or lowes probably don't carry the dowel. They have pine. Don't use it.

I have a stavr. Shaft is in the scoop passively. No screws not holes. A tiny bit of grit and it takes a hammar and a vice to separate.

hh gl -Joe

ps I ordered the cf from eBay.

I just ordered a stainless scoop but I have to put the handle on it. Ive had sunspot scoops in the past, they had a wooden handle and it was about 4ft long if I remember right.
Is that the best option still or is there another way you all are going these days?
This is going to be used for wading, just to about waist deep or a little more and also wet sand/dry sand hunting. Not rocky beaches....just sand, mostly soft.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
This works for me. Filled the bottom half with 3M Bondo Fiberglass Resin and the top half with spray foam. It floats and it's indestructible for around $40...

Sears.com

CTX with New Scoop.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeilinFR

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use just a generic home depot rake handle, at least 3 ft too lazy to go out and measure it. I put a plastic cap on it to avoid any splintering.
I wrapped mine with insulation and together with the wood makes it buoyant but just barely. Nice not to have to drag it around or worry about it sinking if you let go, but does make it harder to put horizontal to check for finds.
Was such a tight fit that I had to slice it to get it on, largest size of foam wrap available.

IMG_1570.JPG

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
I have found a short spade-like handle to be best. I bought two of these avalanche shovels so I can transport it in my backpack, works really well and they are very very light.

Here in this video you can see the setup, worked great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions