Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Update as of 25 August:

Well, I was planning a metal detecting road trip next month that included Nags Head, North Carolina and Myrtle Beach, South Carolina but plans have changed. Mary decided she wants to fly to Virginia rather than make the long drive from Florida.

Thanks to all who responded with info and suggestions. I'll archive what you all contributed for another day.

Thank you...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well given the choices...
And..
You have to "divvy" up the time...

I personally would choose to detect Nags over all of em.
by far.

Myrtle Beach is and has been hammered... all modern as well.
Nags is dripping with history and storm action.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
AARC, Thank you. I'll be hitting both Nags Head and Myrtle Beach as I make my way south and back home after attending a Military Memorial Service in VA.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
What part of myrtle beach will you be in?

That's my dilemma. I'm waiting for some recommendations as to what part of Myrtle Beach folks suggest. I know nothing of that area. Thanks

I would be open to suggestions of beaches other tha Myrtle Beach also. My time is my own.

Last edited:

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
I hunted North Myrtle Beach around the Pier for 3 days in April and found nothing of any value. And it was 34 degrees every morning...GL

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been many years ago now since I have swung ( that just sounds funny ) in S.C... over 15 years ago...
I did not have much luck on Myrtle myself... but it has been a major tourist destination for eons... particularly for the residents of the Carolinas themselves.
worked many beaches in both SC and NC at various times... As well as some really great private permissions throughout both.
Anyway...
I would hunt Myrtle if I were you just for the simple fact ... you are there :)
Never know... besides I have a feeling you "have an edge" so to speak over the majority of MDr's there.
As far as "where"... I would try areas around Dunes Beach Resort which I believe is North endish...
Oh... Cherry Grove Beach area as well might be a good bet...

I hate recommending spots that I have not been on in eons...
Like recommending a restaurant I haven't eaten at in forever.

At Nags... Work OFF the "usual" areas... Particularly look for and work the beds and cuts... and even the high wet beds ESP if surf has been heavy / rip over past days.
Nags has a rep for Spanish coins being found.

I want to share this with you Dan...

http://yesterday-on-the-outer-banks.com/spanish-treasure-on-the-outer-banks/

Last edited:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some good targets being found on the 60 miles of MB beaches. But now,,,,the depositors are running in fear due to the lowly
JELLY FISH....I have seen kids, and adults coming out of the water rubbing legs and the kids screaming,,,,,,it is just not a good situation
about these little varmits....you can see laying all over wet sand. Not as many depositors in the water due to this.. But will add, the southern end, Huntington , litchfield are less
sanded then toward the Apache pier area. This changes daily, weekly or hourly....just summer sand builds and builds without the storms and winds
to put things in our favor.

Good Luck !!

HH

Dennis

Last edited:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
There are some good targets being found on the 60 miles of MB beaches. But now,,,,the depositors are running in fear due to the lowly
JELLY FISH....I have seen kids, and adults coming out of the water rubbing legs and the kids screaming,,,,,,it is just not a good situation
about these little varmits....you can see laying all over wet sand. Not as many depositors in the water due to this.. But will add, the southern end, Huntington , litchfield are less
sanded then toward the Apache pier area. This changes daily, weekly or hourly....just summer sand builds and builds without the storms and winds
to put things in our favor.

Good Luck !!

HH

Dennis

I keep hearing about the jellyfish in myrtle this year but we have had none in wilmington only 1 hr north...not that I want them they are a pain but I am not even seeing the usual moon ones on the beach...

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started hunting. All I can tell you is there is a lot of beach on the OBX. Anything below Nags Head is off limits. They will get you. I believe that the article that aarc posted most is in that area south of Nags Head. FOr the life of me I dont know why they cut out this area from metal detecting. Everyone else gets to dig for what ever they want. Every family that comes to the beach has multiples of shovels, ready to dig...dig big holes... the size to bury a car. We cant even dig and fill a six inch deep hole. Does nt make sense.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep hearing about the jellyfish in myrtle this year but we have had none in wilmington only 1 hr north...not that I want them they are a pain but I am not even seeing the usual moon ones on the beach...

Update on the Jellys.......thinking by the last day or two, most have moved on. Heading to the island of 'peanut butter' we hope !!!!

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Plans have changed...see OP. We're now flying rather than driving to the memorial service in VA.

Thanks again to all...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions