jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
perhaps because they have worn headphones in the past & know they don't block everything.

especially since it should be obvious to them a detector doesn't blast noise continuously as music does.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use my headphones to screen what I want to hear and what I don't. When the unwanted vocal people sometimes poke me then I make a complicated ceremony of taking them off and I tell them it's very hard to hear with them on.

Works for me.

Joe

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do the same, I say the headphones are specially designed to block external noise so I can hear faint sounds. Whether they believe it or not don't really care, if I have to stop every time someone wants to ask or talk I won't enjoy my limited time I have to hunt.
I do when it seems they may have lost something or as time allows but its my relaxing and treasurer hunting time and want to make the most of it.

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
I think they can hear our machine making sounds through the headphones so they figure we can hear them if they talk. Only headphones like the black widows block out the sound enough not to hear, for me anyways.
I had a guy and his son come up this weekend and start talking to me(I was using sunray golds), the kid was showing me some dollar bills he had found at the surf line.....
It was a pleasure talking to them and seeing that kids joy.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I look at them with the strangest face I can manage and start growling. :skullflag:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run all my machines with a hum --yes i can hear them
but if i hear them making snide comments as they approach - i will play deaf
and if they wave and yell i will tell them i cant hear - will answer question and put them back on
if they make some kind of rude comment or joke after that ---i will remove and say
"i lied...i heard everything you said...deuche bag" and usually make them look like an idiot
some kids yelled to me this morning - wind was blowing and it was hard to hear - but i stopped and answered their questions ---put headphones back on ---they started yelling more questions as their mothers came to see
i removed them again and told them its hard to hear - answered a mom question and then went on my way as moms told them to leave me alone ---I am the friendly ghost --most of the time

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Just act like you can't hear them. And don't fold. Very rarely do you get the person that demands your attention after they have been overtly snubbed. hh gl -Joe

Do you think they can hear you when you try to talk to them? Do you try to talk to them? For some reason these headphones dont seem to stop people from talking to me...

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting in a local swimming hole and the guy sitting on the beach was trying to get me to respond to his questions. I pointed at the headphones and said I couldn't hear him. A few minutes later he told the girl with him that he was going to throw me a bunch of pennies. I looked up and said I throw ROCKS at ***holes that throw pennies. He got up and left.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
" I am sorry, but my probation officer does not allow me to speak to any members of the public. Especially children and pets." or something like that?

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have a long green booger that I hang from my nose,,,,,they don't even LOOK !!!!:tongue3:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just politely answer their questions with minimal honesty. "Whats the best thing you've ever found?" "A steak knife"

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Me having to stop a remove my headphones for this.

Stranger.." Does that thing really work?"

Me.."Yes"

Stranger.." So you actually find stuff?"

Me..."Hundred things a day"

Headphones back one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talk to em...tell them the kinds of things I find, tell em you cant get rich, tell em about returns Ive made , etc...takes up a little of my time but hey, what can I say, Im a nice guy.

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
The stock AT Pro headphones block a whole lot of noise, it's often not even me trying to evade people but I honestly don't hear them sometimes. Especially on the beach with waves and wind.

But normally I hunt with just one ear covered, I still hear everything (I hunt shallow targets exclusively anyway) and have more awareness to what's going on around me. I don't mind talking to people, I often just keep walking and swinging while talking to them, the ones that are really interested seem to tag along and talk.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key is...

When they approach... drop a coin... bottle cap... or eyelets on my shoes work well... but scoop works best...
anyway...
As they walk up... you remove one muff from one ear as you place / set the coil directly on above / next to mentioned items creating a loud signal...
Now yes your other ear gets a blast... but they can hear it...

Now is when your acting career that you just know you should have pursued by packing up and moving to L.A. kicks in.

"Huh ... Wha ? ... Sorry cannot hear you"

Last edited:

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last ring return started out like this. I figured the guy was going to ask me the usual questions. Acted like I couldn't hear him. Fortunately, he was persistent.

When I hear somebody ask me something, I think about asking them if they normally try to start conversations with people wearing headphones and how that works out for them LOL.

Last edited:

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is wrong with taking a little time and talk to someone? Is finding something that important that you need to be unfriendly?
Toolman Butch

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is wrong with taking a little time and talk to someone? Is finding something that important that you need to be unfriendly?
Toolman Butch
I get asked a lot. If I stopped and talked to everyone that asked me a question, I wouldn't get much hunting done.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toolman Butch

Actually the answer to that would be...

No.

It has nothing to do with "finding something"...And has everything to do with "space and time". heh

Sorry if it seems that "I don't like to the people"... generally I do like MOST people.
In general some are "out for themselves" and don't REALLY give to craps about what you say anyway.
OR don't REALLY listen..
OR understand.

Not a depressed way of looking at it... Not a bad way...
it is just MOST talk is cheap... and trivial... and generally .. AND Especially... to a complete stranger is pretty much...
A waste of time.
And when I detect... I value my time doing it.

Not a thirst to find stuff...
I am not so "gung ho" that I cannot take time out for someone if need be.
I am friendly and I am helpful all the way around.
But...
When I metal detect... I am in a "Zen"... my peace... MY time... in which... I happen to enjoy...
Its not the finds...
Its my peace in my own thoughts...
Its the peace of the early morning beach... ETC> .

Nothing more... no "bad attitude"... just... "my time". heh

Get it ? :)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread