Discriminate or NOT????

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No discrimination and you'll pick up everything. Too much and you'll lose the gold. What type of detector are you using? This needs to be known because some detectors can use a little discrimination and not lose much other than nails, etc.

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
Ask yourself this question. Will I hunt this beach again? If so then dig all the nails. It'll save you time in the future trying to decide wether or not to discriminate. I've gone to the same beach for three years now and I've pulled over 100lbs of nails. Now when I go I don't have to hesatate and go over the same spots a few times because I got a beep. The cleaner the beach the faster the hunt. If you don't want to dig them all in a year or two then everytime you go set a number of signals you'll dig before you turn up the discrimination. Its only a matter of time before the beach will be free of nails. Homesteads only had a certain number of nails that they were built with. So I would say unless your hunting next to an underwater nail factory then dig it all. Jason

buckmild1

Oct 26, 2004
Trinity, Florida
You can also hunt in all metal mode and when you get a target try discimination to figure out if its worth digging or not. If I'm at the beach I usually dig everything because its easy digging.HH.

CHRIS

OP
OP
B

BULL

I have a Treasure Hunter XJ9. I have the following icons on the face. I also only have two adjustments, one for discrimination and one for sensitivity This has a computer chip in it also if that helps any.

I have:

Nail - Bottle Cap - Pull Tab - Ring - $.10 - $.25 - $.50

I usually take off the nail and bottle cap because I was told if I take off the pull tab I would miss lots of gold. I know the pull tab works and the .10 and .25 works ;D I ain't sure about the ring and the .50 ones ;D ;D ;D

Does this help any?

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not familiar with that detector as I use a CZ20 fisher and a minelab ex-cal 1000 for beach/water hunting but, I'd say "if you use any discrimination at all, set it to only take out the nails" and leave the rest so you don't miss any gold. You'll still dig lots of trash (but) it should skip over tiny nails, bobby pins, etc.

I know on most detectors, even on my fisher cz20, if I set it to discriminate #1 (which would probably be the same as your nail elimination) it will still pick up iron, and any gold rings, etc.

That's my take on it-

you may wanna do as the guy above said and, go thru and remove all the nails, junk, etc. and then you've got no worries as to finding that stuff anymore. It depends on how much junk, nails, etc. there is, and what you're mainly looking for. If there's tons of it, and you're looking for more jewelry than coins, I'd set the discrimination to the nail setting and hunt for a long while that way (like months) so you can clean up the ground quite a bit before using it with no disc. whatsoever.

Hope this helps a bit,

HH and show off your finds here!

Lonewolfe

M

minelabex1000

If you have lots of time and plan to hunt that area for long time then dig everything because you can't trust metal detector discrimination settings. Beaches are prime spots for jewelry, not valuable old coins.

OP
OP
B

BULL

All I am finding so far is clad and not much of that!!! I must be doing something wrong somewhere ;D

M

minelabex1000

Does this beach run a rake?? Many beaches have heavy duty raking machines that get most of the near surface objects.

Check the depth of your detector. If you can easily sound a quarter at 10 inches you've got a chance for some finds. If your detector barely beeps on a quarter 5 inches deep, you're in trouble.

Beach detectors need to go deep. My weapon is an Excalibur 1000 10 1/2 inch coil. Even this powerhouse has all it can do to reach some targets.

If you have a weaker detector your best bet is to work under the swings and by the doorways of concession stands, etc. Also the waterline and in the water if your coil is waterproof. Look for those outer fringe areas that others walk by. When people reach for their keys to unlock the car they lose things.? ;)

OP
OP
B

BULL

Thanks for the tips and I am going to have to go to the beach and bury a quarter 10" and see if I can pick it up ;D I guess I should of done that along time ago to see what I can do with it huh? ;D

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig it all is good advice, especially since it is easy digging. Who knows, that nail could be directly over a nice gold ring!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread