Looking for a wet suit, but not sure what to order = advice needed!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Back during the Winter I was visiting the coast and hitting thrift stores. At two different locations, I tried on wet suits, both sized as "Average", one I couldn't get completely on, and the other I couldn't even get my legs into it and had a heck of a time peeling it off.

I'm not average, I'm skinny as a rail! 5'-10" and 140 lbs.

I looked at a few websites, and one even gave dimensional data, like waist size. But I don't trust a lot of what I see or read.

Wet suits are not a common sale item in this rural mountain area where I dwell.

Looking for tips, maybe good reliable on-line vendors, or just anything to point me in a better direction.

Thanks for all input :)

I wanna go Deep!

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fit is the most important factor when purchasing a wetsuit. You must try on the wetsuit, as every wetsuit manufacturer's size chart is different. Thickness is also important. The thicker the suit, the warmer. 'Smoothie' neoprene, stretches better and is warmer in windy conditions. Seams are also important. The types of seams used in a wetsuit differ greatly.

An "Overlock" seam, is found on inexpensive suits. This type of stitch lasts forever but it is not watertight, and can cause skin irritation or a rash as it protrudes against the skin.

A "Flatlock" seam, is a flat stitch that does not push into your skin like the overlock. It is not watertight, but does not cause as much of a rash or chaffing problem.

The "Blindstitch," is a flat stitch that does not penetrate all the way through the neoprene, so there are no stitch holes. It is watertight which makes a tremendous difference. Blindstich seams are found only on more expensive wetsuits.

Last but not least, wetsuit zippers - or closures, are extremely important. "Back-zip" suits are the most common type. Look for a sturdy metal zipper (rather than plastic), and thick flaps behind the zipper to prevent water flushes. You would look for the same qualities in a "Shoulder-zip" suit.

Good luck! :occasion14:

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Terry. Looks like I'll need to shop at a dive shop instead of ordering on-line.

You certainly gave me some input here I'd have never thought about.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Bring a bottle of "Monkey Butt" or other brand of baby powder when putting on the suits....it really helps getting them on/off. Also don't pull on small portions of the suit as they can tear. Displace the pressure by grabbing large handfuls instead. Only other thing I would add is that it is a fine line between the suit being snug yet not too snug and restrictive.

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
keep it tight, it should be a little tough to get in and out of if it fits right. sucks but they do keep you warm that way

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you should look for a farmer john - 2 piece
minimum of 5mm - I wear 7mm in Jan. Feb ---7mm boots and gloves
hands, feet, heart and head - most important to keep warm - I try not to get my head wet - I will hunt rough waters in warmer weather
but wont in winters - so I try never to get my head wet in winters
so hands - feet and heart is what I worry about
it took some time in the beginning - no one out there when I started cold water hunting to help me - got hypothermia a few times - almost got frostbite in my feet
but suit I put together now - I get tired before I get cold usually - I can comfortably go 2-3 hrs depending on air temp and if sun is out
you will find article I wrote on winter hunting here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/
always here to help if you any questions

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back during the Winter I was visiting the coast and hitting thrift stores. At two different locations, I tried on wet suits, both sized as "Average", one I couldn't get completely on, and the other I couldn't even get my legs into it and had a heck of a time peeling it off.

I'm not average, I'm skinny as a rail! 5'-10" and 140 lbs.

I looked at a few websites, and one even gave dimensional data, like waist size. But I don't trust a lot of what I see or read.

Wet suits are not a common sale item in this rural mountain area where I dwell.

Looking for tips, maybe good reliable on-line vendors, or just anything to point me in a better direction.

Thanks for all input :)

I wanna go Deep!

I think you said in a PM your going to be in Orlando, if you don't need it before then then wait and pm me when your in Orlando. I have 4-6 pairs and may have one you might like.... They are all used but in good shape. Sizes run small. I am 5'11, 220 and I wear XXXL in wetsuits, I wear L-XL in polo shirts and 38" jeans....

If I am at a garage sale and see a wet suit and it is cheap I buy it...... I bought 2 of them one day, both were XL and paid $1.00 each as it was a Sunday and they were still there. I sold them on EBay for $40 each......

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
TH

When I head South, my initial visit will be in Sarasota. And then I'm going to swing up towards Kellyco, wanna see that place :)

I do plan on hitting some beach time in Sarasota, and maybe when I head up your way. I'm certainly willing to meet TNet members along the way.

I need to go ahead and look at a schedule for the trip. I'll do that in the next couple of days and let you know. I'll be bringing my Excal and Stealth :)

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
When I first started hunting I got a wetsuit.........I hated it, a real pain to get off when wet......... Since that first summer I've always wore drysuits or waders but this summer I made a change in my hunting style and went farmer johns, Easy to put on and take off and You can go with a heavy top if needed. Once the water hits 60 I'll be back in the drysuit...like Casper said, feet, hands get cold fast.. and if your a old goat like me..I like warm all...

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DID YOU USE A REGULAR WET SUIT?? OBN
That's why I went with a 2 piece famer john - no probs getting on and off and Im a big guy
I could never wear a regular type 1 piece - specially the ones that zip up the back

When I first started hunting I got a wetsuit.........I hated it, a real pain to get off when wet......... Since that first summer I've always wore drysuits or waders but this summer I made a change in my hunting style and went farmer johns, Easy to put on and take off and You can go with a heavy top if needed. Once the water hits 60 I'll be back in the drysuit...like Casper said, feet, hands get cold fast.. and if your a old goat like me..I like warm all...

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, I've a pretty good handle on my plans next month. Hopefully Indian Steve and I can meet OBN sometime during Oct. 5 thru 10.

Then I plan to be in Sarasota, FL Oct. 21 thru 23.

And then I will swoop over to the East coast up Kellyco way. My plans are pretty loose after that. I do want to go from Sarasota up to Kellyco straight there, may be the 24th, not pinned down yet.

I can figure out a wet suit when I'm down there!

Keep the faith, let's always make good things happen. I've met Relevantchair and Limitool - friends forever. Thus it will be time to meet more good people!

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
DID YOU USE A REGULAR WET SUIT?? OBN
That's why I went with a 2 piece famer john - no probs getting on and off and Im a big guy
I could never wear a regular type 1 piece - specially the ones that zip up the back

O Yea, 2008.. shorty ..zip up the back..a real learning experience ... I guess that's why I went dry suit / waders 2009..but this year I took your advice and went with the 5mm farmer johns with a 2mm pull over for fall with the ski.......well till it gets cold. Heck I was cold today with the wind.. I wore the 5 mm FJ's with a T shirt today and it really got me thru the summer like that.. little warm at times but a lot better then the drysuit..

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
You shouldn't need a wet suit in October but you never know! I bought a wetsuit with a zipper in the front because I couldn't figure out how I would get a back zipper up by myself!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I used a 5mm shorty in Florida in February for 3 weeks. I was in the water 18 hours a day. I always buy mine on scuba.com in the winter when they have great deals.

I wear a 5mm in Michigan all summer and fall and give up diving when the water gets too cold for it. A 7mm is just too thick for me.

Look at the hyper stretch or super stretch or whatever name the new 4 way stretch neoprene wet suits are made of. I have no problem getting them on or off and I love the way they stretch and the easiness of them.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First a suit need to fit tight. Stay away from suits with smooth rubber on the inside, you'll need power to put them on and getting out can be tough on your own. Look for a suit with nylon on the inside as well on the outside.
Look for farmer John lowers and jacket for the top.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread