• 1472932064829.jpg
    1472932064829.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 154
Upvote 0

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
dang thats been down there a while, silver probly, just guessin. heres the best video ive seen

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dang thats been down there a while, silver probly, just guessin. heres the best video ive seen

Wear gloves if you use a stainless steel item! This produces a toxic substance.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
For worthless silver, I'd use baking soda. Electrolysis for better rings. BTW, you'll have better hits if you spell ring correctly. ;)

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I find a lot of crusty silver and some crusty stained gold, which all is 10k or less. I first just carefully crunch the oxide off of the coin or ring to make sure I don't have something of great value then I use a dremel wire brush for the silver. If it is something of interest I do the electrolysis, then baking soda rub. The gold I hit with the dremel polish wheel then mothers polish.. yesterdays hunt...

crusty OBN0378 (2).jpg then cleaned.. OBN0377 (2).jpg

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once that crust dries out , a lot of it will just flake off. I then use a dremel with a soft brass wire wheel followed by a buffing wheel.
You can get a cheap dremel with all the attachments at Harbor Freight for $10 bucks......I've cleaned 100+ rings with the one I bought there.
SS

OP
OP
NC Digger

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the quick replys! I'll see which one I want to try when I get back to NC. The ctx says the ring is gold. It has a golden color you can see through the stone on top. I figure it was in the water for 30+ years. Found it at Buzzards Bay in Massachusetts. Still have tomorrow then we head in land. Do some fresh water hunting then! Having a great time with the Excalibur!

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the quick replys! I'll see which one I want to try when I get back to NC. The ctx says the ring is gold. It has a golden color you can see through the stone on top. I figure it was in the water for 30+ years. Found it at Buzzards Bay in Massachusetts. Still have tomorrow then we head in land. Do some fresh water hunting then! Having a great time with the Excalibur!

cool man

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
For worthless silver, I'd use baking soda. Electrolysis for better rings. BTW, you'll have better hits if you spell ring correctly. ;)

Hey! I clicked on it just so I could find out what a rong was! :laughing7:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Make sure you post us a Cleaned picture.. :thumbsup:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW - your quarters are smaller than your nickles where you hunt :tongue3:

I find a lot of crusty silver and some crusty stained gold, which all is 10k or less. I first just carefully crunch the oxide off of the coin or ring to make sure I don't have something of great value then I use a dremel wire brush for the silver. If it is something of interest I do the electrolysis, then baking soda rub. The gold I hit with the dremel polish wheel then mothers polish.. yesterdays hunt...

crusty View attachment 1354811 then cleaned.. View attachment 1354812

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey - Buzz bay is my turf - well ..one of my turfs

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might be 10k - I would use electrolysis on it - if you don't have a set up - see if some that does will do it for you :thumbsup:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
I use a small square of aluminum foil ...sprinkle a bit of salt..wrap it around the wet ring tightly ..and place in a half cup of hot water.

Leave it an hour or so. I then use a ultrasound cleaner to remove the loosened oxides but have used soapy fingers to rub black off in the past.

Finally polish with wet baking soda.

10K gold can be corroded. 14K also can develop slight discoloration but just rarely. Most of my 14K gold is almost perfect.

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Wear gloves if you use a stainless steel item! This produces a toxic substance.

hey, whats the science behind that? been doin it in my kitchen since early 80s. peeps also say chlorine gas is emitted? is there a better item than stainless, read some where that graphite or some automotive scrap metal could be used.

OP
OP
NC Digger

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL. I'm am always checking my spelling. But I hate using my phone!

jbwish

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't do what I tried. Used automatic coffee pot cleaner liquid and soaked about 2 dozen coins I gathered out of a river, they were heavily oxidized. Turned
every one of them bright copper colored, Nickles, dimes and quarters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions