Good beach and shallow salt water detector under 2k?

sdprosector

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2016
San Diego
Detector(s) used
none looking to buy first one
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am considering a Garrett AT Pro or the more expensive Minelab CTX 3030 detector to hunt salt water beaches in both dry and wet sand and shallow water under 10 feet depth. How good is the less expensive Garrett AT Pro compared to more expensive detectors? I priced one out for under $900 compared to 2k for more expensive ones from Whites and Minelab.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sdprosector

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2016
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank was who I was going to recommend! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

sdprosector

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2016
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cool thanks, yeah I like Frank, he is a veteran in detecting.
Buying direct from him is worth it to get hands on mentoring in how to use my new machine.

He basically told me that ML is way ahead of the competition in technology. Only reason I also bought a whites is for my dad who prefers whites. Figure he can play with it while I hunt with the ML CTX.

Frank was who I was going to recommend! :thumbsup:

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Great choice. I am still learning mine, but it gets better every time I am out.

After 8 months of detecting with it, I am now starting to hunt in manual sensitivity.

It is a real beast.

OP
OP
S

sdprosector

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2016
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Right on, well my new CTX came in today so I'm excited after I pick it up tomorrow and try it out. Lots of parks and beaches to explore.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Don't let rain water hit it until you read frog masters thread on waterproofing. It's in the minelab brand section. Gl. Here's a pick of my usb port.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    605.3 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
S

sdprosector

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2016
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks, yeah I found a guy on YT who waterproofed his by replacing the thin o-ring gasket with a much thicker one:

Now question is where to find these larger o-rings instead of bulk? Right now, I am just playing with it to get familiar with all the features. Will take it to the local park this week and try it out then the beach this weekend.

What initial settings do you recommend for the beach and park? Living in San Diego, we get black sand and high mineral content.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd start with the stock programs for a while and hit the dry sand so you can find lots of targets (both good and junk) in a short period of time. Once you get some hours under your belt, I'd make a few modified programs for certain hunting areas by using Andy Sabisch's tips. It's going to take you over 100 hours to get comfortable with what the machine is telling you, so, don't give up early! :thumbsup:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also stay in auto sens +3. Everyone's going to chime in and tell you that you have to hunt in manual cranked to WFO but you will hit targets in auto that you actually can never reach due to wetsand caving in. A smooth, quiet running machine with a low threshold is better than one falsing and blanking all over the place.

OP
OP
S

sdprosector

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2016
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks! Just ordered Andy's book on the CTX 3030 and will try the machine out in the park and dry sand beach to get a feel and learn the basics. Very high tech compared to other MD around so will be fun.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can order the new battery o rings from minelab or any authorized dealer. They are grey in color. If you use third party o rings and it leaks you run the risk of Minelab not covering the damage under the warranty.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Minelab will upgrade your machine's o rings and battery for any machine sold after a date that still has the old parts. Or maybe return your machine to the dealer for one that has the upgrades.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you just got a new CTX, it should have the upgraded "O" rings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions