Good beach and shallow salt water detector under 2k?

sdprosector

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2016
San Diego
Detector(s) used
none looking to buy first one
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am considering a Garrett AT Pro or the more expensive Minelab CTX 3030 detector to hunt salt water beaches in both dry and wet sand and shallow water under 10 feet depth. How good is the less expensive Garrett AT Pro compared to more expensive detectors? I priced one out for under $900 compared to 2k for more expensive ones from Whites and Minelab.

Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
My daughter has the AT Pro, I have the 3030.

They are both very nice machines. The 3030 has a lot of user options if you want to get into 'technical detecting'.

I don't dig the amount of junk she does, but sometimes she finds cool things I tend to pass up.

If you are looking for a great beep and dig , machine, then the AT Pro.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On a saltwater beach in the wet sand and water you cannot compare an AT Pro with the CTX 3030.

They are completely different, and the Minelab is superior in EVERY way. :skullflag:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On a saltwater beach in the wet sand and water you cannot compare an AT Pro with the CTX 3030.

They are completely different, and the Minelab is superior in EVERY way. :skullflag:
Terry I am completely,,,,,,, well,,, flabbergasted.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For 2k your options are limitless when it comes to saltwater machines, however you didn't mention if you want a vlf or a pulse machine. For vlf you have the Minelab CTX3030(used with warranty left) and the Excalibur, Fisher has the CZ21, Whites has the Beach Hunter ID 300. As far as pulse, forget about Minelab(way over priced for the entry level waterproof pulse), Tesoro sand shark, Whites pulse, Garret ATX(expensive but can be found used cheaper). There are more but these are in my opinion the most used and trusted.
For VLF I would go with a used Minelab CTX 3030(or new if you shop around) or Tesoro/Whites for a pulse. If you know where to look, for 2k you could get 2 machines, one for a backup and still have money left over for a scoop. As far as a scoop is concerned, that's an argument for another thread. Good luck

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh and welcome aboard.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm, Excal/Sandshark combo. Sounds like a winner to me.

BeachCrazy

Aug 1, 2016
South West Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
I am considering a Garrett AT Pro or the more expensive Minelab CTX 3030 detector to hunt salt water beaches in both dry and wet sand and shallow water under 10 feet depth. How good is the less expensive Garrett AT Pro compared to more expensive detectors? I priced one out for under $900 compared to 2k for more expensive ones from Whites and Minelab.

have you considered the Excalibur2? I got mine for under $1500 with a scoop. I do not have any experience with the detectors you mentioned above but i am really enjoying my Excal.

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to keep in mind is you had mentioned using the detector in wet sand and in salt water. If you do some research you will find that the AT Pro will most likely be frustrating to use anywhere but the dry sand. It is a single frequency detector and although I have seen some posts where some people are using them in some salt water locations, more so than not you will probably get falsing and have to keep your sensitivity turned down which in turn will cause loss of depth. And in many locations turning the sensitivity down still won't be enough. If you're just getting in to water detecting there's no need in starting out having to deal with complications and frustrations. It should be an enjoyable and fun filled adventure. If your budget is in the 2K or less range you will be able to find plenty of multi- frequency detectors designed to use in wet salt water and dry sand and allow you to enjoy it with not having to deal with falsing and special tuning. I hunt with a Fisher CZ21 and love it. You will find most water hunters use either the Excaliber or CZ21 and some are using the CTX3030. There's many to choose from but whatever you decide to go with make a commitment to totally master the detector you get and learn it inside and out. Nothing can take the place of mastering the machine you're using. Happy Hunting!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
I love my CZ-21 in fresh and salt water. A great machine and well built. I know you stated a price of under 2K. Did you think to add in waders or a wetsuit and booties, a long handle scoop and other wants and necessities? Do you want or need a PFD?

For a VLF machine in salt water you have 4 main choices. CTX3030, Excalibur, Fisher CZ-20/21 and the Whites BHID. I think any one would serve you well after you got to know its language. Good luck out there.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off forget the ATpro when it comes to saltwater, there are better options out there:icon_scratch:.
Are you really going to be dunking the whole machine underwater?
or are you just wading in angle deep water?:dontknow:

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that I would look at the garret ATX also. I've seen several used or demos for under 2k.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Before I would have said it's the CTX no brainer. Yesterday I an error on the beach saying connected to USB. My friend in Orlando believe it or not got the same error on the same day on his. It turns out that we both had moisture in our USB port. We both take great care to make sure that all our connections are solid. After this has happened I would think twice about getting one. We both have emails into minelab and will be calling both Kellyco and Minelab today. I posted online yesterday to see how many others had the same problem.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe one of the reasons the 3030 is so popular is in addition to being very sensitive in picking up small targets in salt water it is a very capable machine on land and fresh water. In wet sand at Myrtle Beach over the weekend I picked up a little star piece off from a bracelet?. This this was about 1/4" in diameter and 7 to 8 inches deep. I had it in my hand and still took a couple minutes to locate it even using the pinpointer. That was picked up using the 17" coil.

There are well know issues with the leaking but there are well known solutions also. Use the new grey battery gasket and make sure the usb port is properly torqued.

Skip the AT Pro as you will be frustrated in salt water or wet sand.

OP
OP
S

sdprosector

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2016
San Diego
Detector(s) used
none looking to buy first one
Primary Interest:
Thanks, I will try out these different models in the local San Diego MD store before making final decision on what model I like. I did read an interesting year long rant on how overpriced MD cost these days:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...-why-does-metal-detector-cost-2499-again.html

Very entertaining that el padron dude is and as a software engineer, I get the points he made on technology and new MD prices. Still, like any expensive hobby, you have to pay to play and as a guy who also flies drones and RC, I am familiar with overpriced toys but we have fun and there are hobbies that cost 10x more than buying a new or used MD to have fun with and explore. Plus the chance to find treasure is a nice bonus that no other hobby contains!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with your choice of machines. Lots of good advice from the guys that know this hobby inside and out. When you do purchase, get out there and ENJOY this hobby!!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On our local beaches here in San Diego, the CTX works considerably better than the AT Pro. It's also a better land machine IMO. If you need a local store recommendation, PM me.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
We explained in the other forum why the AT Pro would be no good where you are...Its not a salt water machine...its designed for fresh. CTX/Excal/CZ21.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread