Changing the Sea Hunters.

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
After using the Sea Hunters for only a few hunts we have decided to change them as our beaches here in the UK are just to trashy to use them. No way we could have known this but we are wasting 90% of our time digging rusty nails. It has been suggested in my other post that the MINELAB EXCALIBUR II is the way to go, we didn't buy these to start with as we didn't even know if we would like the hobby. Does everyone agree that the Excal will eliminate the metal on our beaches and give us a better chance of enjoying the hobby and getting more out of it. If anyone has any other ideas on MDs please say so, thanks,,Paul.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
I cannot speak for your beaches without hunting them. Think about the last time you hunted it with the pulse. What was the ratio of ferrous to non ferrous targets? That should tell you how bad it is.

Out of every 10 holes dug at least 8 were rusty metal trash. The thing is if I don't have to dig those holes I can cover so much more beach.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out of every 10 holes dug at least 8 were rusty metal trash. The thing is if I don't have to dig those holes I can cover so much more beach.
Ok so there's a lot of iron. Now you have to consider how close those targets are to each other. If far apart then any multi frequency machine will work. If so close to each that the machine will constantly null then again, I do not recommend the Excal.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok so there's a lot of iron. Now you have to consider how close those targets are to each other. If far apart then any multi frequency machine will work. If so close to each that the machine will constantly null then again, I do not recommend the Excal.

OP
OP
P

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
They are about 10-15 feet apart.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are about 10-15 feet apart.
That's not that bad then. You can get away with using the Excal if that's what you want. There are a couple of beaches here that I frequent which are heavily laden with iron. You can't take a step without hitting iron. I have found lots of goodies in and amongst the iron with my CTX. Both my Sovereign and my Excal struggle in it and cannot be used. Knowing most UK beaches have hundreds of years of iron content in them I didn't want you to waste your money. Doesn't sound like that particular beach is that bad though. Good luck with whatever machine you choose, and happy hunting. Mike

OP
OP
P

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Thanks a lot for all the help. We only have about 6 MD shops in the UK and only 1 is near to me about an hour away. As luck would have it they sell the Excal and the CZ21 so I can drive there this week and take a look at both of them and maybe I can even get a demo.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Incase you're interested, there's a good looking used Excal II in the TNet Classifieds on sale for $750...
Can you give me your suggestions please.

OP
OP
P

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Incase you're interested, there's a good looking used Excal II in the TNet Classifieds on sale for $750...

Thanks for looking but I'm in the UK.

OP
OP
P

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
If I get the choice between an 8" and a 10" coil what should I go for.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10" unless you exclusively we're going to scuba detect then I would say 8". The 10" is a good all around size for detecting up on out of the water and not too big to hunt in the water.

OP
OP
P

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
10" unless you exclusively we're going to scuba detect then I would say 8". The 10" is a good all around size for detecting up on out of the water and not too big to hunt in the water.

Sounds good to me.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Don't panic guys but iv'e just been looking at this Minelab Sovereign GT metal detector | eBay are these as good as the Excal but they just don't go under water.

The Sovereign GT is a good detector but not only does it not like to go under water, it doesn't like to get splashed or dropped in water. You must protect that control box. The Excal on the other hand was designed to get wet and since ours is an outdoor sport and you're focused on the beach...I'll let you finish the thought! :D

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly since this is your first water/beach machine I would go new. A used sovereign that has been used at the beach several months or years is a problem waiting to happen. They are great machines but salt air finds its way into control housing and eats internals up. If you can determine the seller lives somewhere NOT close to a beach and has not used it there exclusively you may be ok but just be careful with a "salty" non-waterproof machine.

OP
OP
P

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Thanks guys I think I will end up with a new Excal.

OP
OP
P

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Would love to have a Eccal. But for now the CTX will do.

Just made an enquiry about a CTX on gumtree, 18 months old and 18 months guarantee left on it £1200 but it had sold, it was a good deal. Just watch a couple of vids on youtube about all the functions and setting it up and I think it's way to complicated for a beginner like me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread