scared crapless while diving

Bugalooob

Aug 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a shallow water hunting forum but I cant find deep water hunting, I was out on lake Ontario on my 17 ft dive boat...I had the full set up dive flags , double tanks on my back and all the goodies....was diving on an old coal ship that went down in the late 1800's, 80 foot of water...things weren't going to good from the start , first I was alone, my anchor wouldn't hold( Ontatio has a vey sandy bottom)..I decided to go for it and follow the anchor line down....I got to like 10 feet, the water turned realy murky and I saw the shadow of this giant thing swimming by I have no idea what it was..I immediately filled my vest with air and shot out of the water...got in my my boat and took off..last I dived in that lake that deep...I styed in less then 20 feet of water after that

Upvote 0

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have caught some big catfish in the flint river and there are some large alligators. Albany, Ga has had a series of sewage spills and saw a small gator with close pins on his nose and he had a look on his face like this river smells like crap. lol..
10 foot alligator attacked a horse in the water in Florida and they caught a 13 footer that weighed so much they had to use a winch to get him on the trailer.

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a tight school of baitfish. You’re almost always the baddest thing alive in freshwater.

mrcolin2u

Dec 23, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II umax
Fisher CZ20
Minelab Excalibur II 10" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a dolphin approach me in the Turks and Caicos when I was detecting underwater in about 5' water with a snorkel. Thought it was a shark in the corner of my eye and was relieved to see a dolphin.It stopped about two feet from me and we stared at each other for about a minute. As soon as I turned off my detector it left. I'm thinking it could hear the frequency of my tesoro stingray. It was the last day of my trip and also the highlight too !

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ive ran into big snapping turtles, big american eels and big cats while on commercial diving jobs.
i was doing a camera recovery in Round Valley Resevoir in NJ along the dam in 150-160ft of water and just found the Nikonos 5 camera a open water diver dropped getting back into the boat when his camera thether broke. i reached down to pick up the camera and caught movement out of the corner of my eye, at the edge of my lights visibility (abt 15-20ft) i saw this big white thing heading towards me, i grabbed the handle of my dexter russell knife as a huge albino catfish head came into focus, i pulled my arms tight against my body as it swam by. it was at least a foot across the head and at least 6ft long. the whiskers were well over a foot long, after he swam by and out of view, i grabbed the camera and stuffed it into my gear bag and started my ascent.

i was on a job in Bayonne NJ on the Arthur Kill and the bottom under this pier had all kinds of junk debris there and it was full of American Eels, some at least 5ft long, i stayed away from them. i learned my lesson many years ago as a fresh diver abt 16 when i speared one off sandy hook, it pulled the spear thru its body and swam up that nice strong line attatched to the speargun that was on a wrist thether. that thing kicked my ass with no feet, it wrapped me up and scared the crap out of me. good thing it didnt have teeth like a moray eel. i never shot one again, now the blackfish and fluke were another story.

i was free diving in the Delaware River close to me and was checking out the rocks under the bridge for anything worthwhile to bring up and looked under a rock ledge and went face to face with a big catfish, i have no idea how big it was, but it filled my facemask from side to side

ive done some deep water salvage jobs, like recovering a snagged ocean scallop dredge in 90ft of water off Atlantic City NJ (abt 20ft long, 15ft wide and abt 6ft tall cage with a black suction hose off the side) and the smaller sharks 8 to 10fters are always circling the upline, those i dont worry about too much, its the ones that eat those ones i keep an eye out for, at least i will give them indigestion when they try to crap out my dive helmet and gear, so i will get the last laugh, LOL

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats why Im not i. the water lol

Top Member Reactions