Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Hum....... lemme see... cheesy ass injection molded plastic crap scoop or a quality made forged in fire and seam welded stainless steel beach scoop- wonder which one would last longer.

Yeah- I wonder what the answer could be....

Money! Money is the answer.

Depends on how much money you want to spend, and what kind of quality for what you are willing to suck up and deal with or be proud to own.

A plastic shovel is just fine for a 4 year old with a bucket making stupid kinda round sand castles.

Now, if you want to construct sand art... be a leader on the beach, be able to stand tall and proud....

You want to be a LEADER don't you? WELL? DON'T YOU!!!!

Last edited:

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So there are two ways to see this: On one hand the biggest drawback to that thing is, well everything. Short handle so you tire very fast, made from plastic that won't last long, very expensive for what is essentially a 5$ feeding scoop with some holes. On the other hand it has two benefits: If you are like me and want to travel by bicycle transporting a long handle scoop is quite a hassle, and being made out of plastic you can use your detector to see if you have the target in the scoop.

I say get a long handle scoop, but if you don't then don't buy this but make your own, takes nothing more than a plastic feeding scoop like this and a 10mm drillbit.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Pay now or pay later, not only in money but pain. A scoop on a handle is the way to go. Stainless steel will last longer than aluminum, but is a bit heavier. Occasional use, or heavy use, wet or dry sand, salt or fresh water beaches...many conditions to consider. Try the manufacturer's sites and read what they suggest the particular scoop is best suited for. Give them a call...Each scoop will shine in one situation and fall flat in another. You have started here...now read and ask more questions. It will all add to your knowledge of the hobby of metal detecting.
Enjoy.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My opinion, great for a 7 year old.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
I Great Stainless Steel Scoop with a Stainless Steel tip and an aluminum long handle 3-4 feet is perfect. If you go the plastic route it will be good for people that walk their dogs and use it as a Pooper Scoop to fill the plastic bags and then they throw the bags in the dunes.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hum....... lemme see... cheesy ass injection molded plastic crap scoop or a quality made forged in fire and seam welded stainless steel beach scoop- wonder which one would last longer.

Yeah- I wonder what the answer could be....

Money! Money is the answer.

Depends on how much money you want to spend, and what kind of quality for what you are willing to suck up and deal with or be proud to own.

A plastic shovel is just fine for a 4 year old with a bucket making stupid kinda round sand castles.

Now, if you want to construct sand art... be a leader on the beach, be able to stand tall and proud....

You want to be a LEADER don't you? WELL? DON'T YOU!!!!

Nothing like telling it like it is............

Last edited:
OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Great Stainless Steel Scoop with a Stainless Steel tip and an aluminum long handle 3-4 feet is perfect. If you go the plastic route it will be good for people that walk their dogs and use it as a Pooper Scoop to fill the plastic bags and then they throw the bags in the dunes.

I'm the original poster.
It's a Garrett product and didn't think Garrett would put their name on a piece of junk. That's why I was asking for feedback on it. And all the feedback has been helpful. I've got Garrett headphones and am somewhat disappointed. So maybe I should re-think my perspective. If it says "Garrett", it doesn't necessarily mean it's a quality item.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I own several Garrett products. Some are better than others.

Some are outsourced, like just about everything is now-a-days.

Plastic, yeah- screams China cheap.

You can by a Chinese toaster for $10 five times at Walmart or one toaster for $45 at a reputable dealer.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has a purpose, for casual sifting fine, dry sand it could be helpful ,,, And kids do love them if you have any of those around. I had a few like that I lugged around in my truck, over the years I have literally given them away to kids.

A serious beach detector would laugh his socks off though seeing you try to use one in the water or wet sand - Not to mention, you'd have to bend over alot, whereas with a proper scoop with a long handle, you don't have to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread